3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Dad's Bow"  (Read 614 times)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
"Dad's Bow"
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
One of the things that I enjoy so much about traditional archery is, well, the tradition.
Like many of you, I fall back in time when I hunt or even just shoot my longbow or recurve. I think about the way things used to be, and how much I try to avoid the way things are today. I just like old stuff and old ways. Sure, I get caught up in some modern things once in awhile, but I like old things and old ways.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Dad's Bow"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
I like to talk to and hang around guys that are kinda the same way as me. since I started vending at the archery events years ago, I have met some wonderful people from around the country. I have shared a camp with a few of them and I count many that I would like to share a fire with.
I get a lot of enjoyment out of hearing from folks that have a good story to tell.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
I can relate Chuck. Just finishing up my first stone tipped arrow. Makes me think of how many thousands had been made over the centuries just like it. Every bow I shoot takes me back to a different era. From the selfbow style of early America's to my "Dads bow " of the early 70's. They definitely do take you back in time.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
When I started as a member and then sponsor on Trad Gang, I was exposed to many more people that I may have never crossed paths with otherwise. Many of these fine folks have become people that I can and will share emails, PM's or phone calls with several times a year. As if we are old friends, even though we have only been introduced through the common interest of bow hunting and more over, Traditional Bow hunting.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Matt, ya really gonna hunt with that ole chunk of chipped up rock?
Good luck, and don't forget PICTURES!
Jonhhy/JAG
The only thing I hate about the trip, is that I have to come back to the present time!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
Chuck, you give more than you get for sure. I am looking forward to where this goes. I have two physical possessions to remember my Grandfather by; a 1949 Grizzly wallhanger and a 1968 Kodiak, that someday when I find a place I can hunt all the time will spend many a sits with me.

I think I am going to deeply enjoy this thread.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
I'm with you here ------

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
I have always liked to talk to those that have come before me, My peers, and more so my elders.

I enjoy the fact that people have great history behind them. Some have been at this game a long time and have many tales to tell. The ones I really like, they think that the past they share is just everyday stuff, "nothing to look at here folks".
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I hear ya Chuck!  :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
I hope I'm not hijacking Chuck's thread.

The 6 month wait for my new Two Tracks Echo, named "Dad's Bow", has been excruciating and seemed like it would go on forever-not a complaint, just anxious. Forever ends soon as Chuck just told me that I have a bow on the way. I'll tell you how "Dad's Bow" came to be, short story long.  During World War 2 my father was in the civil service as a machinist on B-17s stationed at Hendrix Field in Sebring, Florida.  After the war, he was released from the civil service and worked as a gunsmith for a while. In 1946 or 47, he went to visit relatives in Newfield, NY where he cut down a walnut tree and had it cut into 3" planks and shipped to Florida to be used for gun stocks.  He only cut about a dozen stock blanks from the walnut and another 4 or 5 from birdseye maple-the rest of the walnut was left to air dry in my grandfather's garage.  The first 10 years of my life, my family (parents, 2 older sisters, and later a younger sister) lived in a 25' travel trailer.  My parents (and then baby sister) slept in the bedroom.  The other 3 of us slept in the front room, the 2 older girls slept on a sofa bed.  My bed was a blanket laid over a bunch of gunstock blanks between the sofa bed and the front of the trailer, my bed for about 8 years until we bought a house in 1962.  

I was talking to Chuck about making me an Echo and when he asked about the limb cores, I said bamboo, unless he thought another wood might be better (it's his design, he should know).  He asked what I thought about walnut, the light bulb came on.  I told Chuck the story about the stock blanks and he said "we can do this"-Dad's Bow was born.  I sent Chuck some of the 65 year old air dried walnut for the limbs (a stock wasn't long enough for a limb core) and a chunk of birdseye maple from one of the stocks for the riser.  My father never shot a bow, and didn't think much of hunting with a bow, but, my new bow wouldn't be here if it weren't for him.  Chuck asked me a few days ago did I want to name the bow or want him to name it, I said "Dad's Bow".  I now have a bow made from wood my father cut 65 years ago, hence the dedication.  It's as close as I'll get to hunting with my father again, after too many years.

I'll post pictures once I get my grub paws on Dad's Bow.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
Great story, thanks for sharing.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
Wheew!
You just saved me 2-3 more days of writing Phil.
I will cut to the chase.
When I became a sponsor on Trad Gang, Phil was one of the first guys to contact me. We talked for a while that day and many days since. When will contact each other during season and see how each is doing.
When Phil told me about the old lumber from his father and I told him "You got to get me some for your bow". He did and this is the result.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
This is how the lumber arrived to me in Michigan.

C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Cleaning up the wood,

C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
I will be following this one also...love this stuff.  

..to hear from a fellow member about the chance to hold in his hands a piece of wood with a story that brings back part of a relationship that has such special meaning.  "DAD'S BOW"  I can't imagine the pride you will have with it.  

-Mark
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Once I had the blanks cleaned up and square, I needed to adjust the cut so I could have some perfect edge grained laminations.
Lots of exposed blade here, WATCH YOUR FINGERS!

C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »

C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Riser wood preped and processing.

C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Ready to grind and shape. Getting ready for glue up.

C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
I didn't get the pics from here to finish, I got to working and forgot about the camera. I need to work on my Build along technique. Sorry.

We will need to wait a few days for Phil to get the bow to see the finished goods.
I had such a great time building this bow and I sure hope it everything Phil wants it to be. He has been a good guy to get to know over the past few years and I feel blessed to be a part of this story. Thank you Phil.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©