3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stone point draw weight  (Read 411 times)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Stone point draw weight
« on: September 29, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
I'm thinking about hunting with stone points and I know the whole minimum draw weight thing has been    :deadhorse:

But I read on Gills Primitive Archery that hunting with a bow lighter than 50lbs and stone points is not recommended.  

The set up I want to use is a small obsidian point that weighs around 100 grains on a doug fir shaft and a 45 lbs longbow. Largest game would be a deer.

Stone point experts what are your thoughts?
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stone point draw weight
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 01:33:00 AM »
I am not a stone point expert. But, I just read Saxton Pope's "Hunting With a Bow and Arrow". They used 65# and 75#  long bows made of Yew and Osage. No fiberglass in those days! Pope said that with a "light" arrow a 65# would get 150 fps. Later he said he preformed some tests and determined that he was getting 25 ft-lbs. K.E..  This equates to an arrow energy to draw weight ration of 38% at best.  Even the klunkiest modern fiberglass laminated bow will close to double that. Both Saxton Pope and Art young killed huge animals with these setups with steel points. Pope also did a penetration test comparing steel with obsidian heads with the same bow and weight of arrow and the obsidian out penetrated the  steel by a substantial margin.

In Ryans recommendation he mentions a 50# min in relation to primitive style self bows. If you are hunting with a self bow then you should probably follow his recommendation. If you are using any of the bows in your signature they will generate way more than the 25 ft.-lbs. that Pope and Young relied on to kill some very large animals with their inferior steel points.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 03:10:00 AM »
I agree with retnuh. Not to mention your power stroke/draw length is about two inches longer than 'average'. I think you'll be fine. An obsidian head will get sharp on the molecular level, meaning that it is far superior in sharpness compared to all other materials. Good luck, and post pics of your success!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Hopeful-Bowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
I was looking into hunting with totally primitive gear all made by myself and I wanted to use material in my local area(at the time NE Wa.) and luckily lived right beside a rez. so I went and asked around, they said most of their traditional bows pulled 45# max, and they confirmed the whole smaller arrowheads thing. Less then 2 fingers wide, and almost as long as the main knuckle in your index finger to the end. They hunted deer, elk, moose, all that with those bow/arrow combos. Shot placement is the key and the lighter the bow the way more accurate you can get. And obsidian and chert are much sharper then you can get steel to. Just in my experience it helps to knap your own points because they break much easier. *sorry for the late reply, currently deployed in Afghanistan
"The beauty of the task supersedes the promise of the results" -stickandstring

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
this might help you out a little:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsqrlaIef2o&list=TLAqT0pDv_Um4zM9c48WsBA8eepUh8m3Wv

40 pound pow and 300g arrow.....
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
I have never seen a test video using stone points. That was very interesting.

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
yea Blaino that was cool thanks!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
They work, no doubt.  Be a bit wary of the sharpness claims.  Yes, they can get sharp enough, but the "sharpness exceeds" is on a single break, a flake.  We do not normally use flakes for arrow heads.

Also, be careful and read your state regulations.  Many states have a minimum size limit on broadheads used for certain big game animals.

shoot straight
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©