3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New York Traditional Bowhunters 1st hunt in the books  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
New York Traditional Bowhunters 1st hunt in the books
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Ron Purdey and I are home from the Moose River Plains Recreation Area in the Adirondack mountains. This was the 1st group hunt for NYTB although it was a mighty small group, heck I guess you could call it a pair hunt.   :rolleyes:  

This was my 1st tent hunt and I gotta say Im hooked, I think Ive find a new passion. The weather was awesome, frost temps at night and 60s after sunup.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New York Traditional Bowhunters 1st hunt in the books
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
This pic is at the eastern entrance to the road into the state property. Good brook trout fishing, real good at times.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
The best pic I have of camp, kind of neglected capturing a full shot of our set up.  

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
The namesake critter has returned in number. the entire area was covered up in moose tracks of all different sizes. At times I found that I was tracking moose instead of hunting deer.

Alot of the country we hunted was very boggy and thick,here is a good representative pic of what it looked  in most areas. Very tough to still hunt without making  noise. If you look long enough you will find game trail around contours in the lad here and this is what we focused on.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
Very cool Izzy, Thanks for sharing. You couldn't have camped with a nicer guy.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
There are some ancient trees up there. That might not sound like much to mention to some but where I come from there arent many mature trees left.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
This bog was deep into the forest and had several game trails going through it but not much newer sign.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
After dark this is where we had dinner and spent a good long time telling hunting stories well into the night.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
A look at the Little Moose River. I gotta say I was tempted to trade my bow for some fishing gear.

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Hay It looks good. Hope you all had a good time . Years ago I and 1- 3 others spent the time you were there in the Stoney Creek area every year for 4-6 year's . All but one with traditional bows . We even shot some deer . I hope to be able to show you and other traditional archers the area some day . It is a special area that holds deer .

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Ron heading off to set up for the afternoon hunt. He has a story to tell about it.    :readit:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
During the Saturday morning hunt I hiked into a beautiful funnel created by an overgrown clearing/field . As I explored I started seeing every type of animal scat (*deer, bear,coyote,coon) but couldnt determine what is was they were eating.

I found some very fresh deer tracks and droppings in the moss and what little mud was left in the dry terrain. I started in the direction of the tracks and started still hunting along the base of this funnel between a steep ridge and overgrown field. Within 100 yards I saw movement through the green and yellow leaves of a stand of maple saplings.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Beautiful pics!!!!  Look forward to the story.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
***** I dont know what I did but the next post should have preceded this one.   :knothead: *********  

A flicker of white and brown rib cage walking left to right from the ridge top toward the overgrown clearcut. With all the stealth I could muster I pretended to be a tree in hope that the deer would come my way. It continued on its path across the mossy flat and I never could get a clear picture of  it to determine if it was was a small buck or a doe.

Either or was fine by me but it continued on toward the clearcut. When it hit the edge it stopped and milled around for a bit but still with the leaves so full I never got a clear pic of it. I though of bleating my best bleat to try to bring it in but then I though against it.

After not seeing movement for 10 minutes I thought it bedded and tried walking up on it but it was long gone.    :campfire:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
During the Saturday morning hunt I hiked into a beautiful funnel created by an overgrown clearing/field . As I explored I started seeing every type of animal scat (*deer, bear,coyote,coon) but couldnt determine what is was they were eating.

I found some very fresh deer tracks and droppings in the moss and what little mud was left in the dry terrain. I started in the direction of the tracks and started still hunting along the base of this funnel between a steep ridge and overgrown field. Within 100 yards I saw movement through the green and yellow leaves of a stand of maple saplings.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Almost forgot! Saturday lunch. Nothing like venison burgers over an open fire.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Izzy keep in mind for next years if you want company . Also let me know about the NYTB ?   Thanks Bob
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
Very cool guys. Congrats on the great adventure. Nothing better than hunting with guys like this.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
Very Nice Izzy! I haven't been up to Moose River in many, many years... Still one of the most beautiful places in NY... Reminds me of the big woods in Maine, another place I ain't seen in too long.

... mike ...   :dunno:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
looks like a good time izzy, keep at it, it will happen. ct killler lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©