3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Flashlight  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Flashlight
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
I ordered the PD32 UE as well - can't wait for it to get here.  It sure should be a noticeable upgrade from the PD30 that I have been using, and I thought that was a pretty darn good light.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
Same here Whip, 2yr old PD30 in my pack now, just rec'd a Fenix HP25 headlight that I'll try in woods early tomorrow morning.
And got a PD32 UE on the way now!
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
The nitecore lights have some real nice features, but a bit out of my budget right now.

My eagletac light shower up this week, and I am real happy with it. Our good camera has vanished without a trace but I will try and post some photos of I can get some decent ones. The color, beam pattern and performance are great. It appears that the light is actually a xm-L2 U2 neutral vs T6 so higher output.  I have read that there are variations in color in led, they do sort them and you do get a range in color variation. I have to check into that more.

The color is a neutral or warm light.  I believe it shows much better color on brows and greens.  To my eyes foliage appears with more depth or the dimension.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
I ordered the PD32 UE as well - can't wait for it to get here.  It sure should be a noticeable upgrade from the PD30 that I have been using, and I thought that was a pretty darn good light.
Joe...I bought a PD32 UE when Fenix first introduced it. It's a phenomenal light for all the right reasons, like beam throw, spread, hotspot, ergonomics, battery life, etc. I highly recommend a charger and 18650 battery vs the CR123. You'll love this light.

For anyone looking at more output, I have Fenix TK41 with 860 lumens. It uses 8 AA cells, either alkaline or rechargeable. This light will burn a hole through darkness and light up the treeline over 300 yards behind my home. The beam pattern and throw makes it a true torch.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Kevin. I have not yet tried the 18650s. Do they hold a charge well just sitting in your pack as extras all season or do you have to keep charging them every so often.
I really like the new zebra light headlamp that runs 18650 but haven't tried them yet.

Also does it matter if the batts are button or flat top or can you run both. I see they make 2 kinds of 18650s.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Hi LB...,

Both good questions. My overall experience has been that rechargeable batteries don't always 'sit' well, depending on the battery type. My 18650s are Li-ion type and these do seem to hold charge very well..but not for unending months of non-use. My batteries are button-top (normal configuration) for most uses. For anyone who doesn't know; one 18650 = 2 CR123 batteries. The 2 best things about rechargeables and the PD32 are the ongoing money savings (CR123s aren't cheap) and the ease of carrying an extra battery (charged) in your gear.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
I have been researching batteries some while shopping for lights.  I also have some experience with different single use battery types and basic rechargeable types.  Here is what I have learned so far.

The high quality alk. single use batteries have 10 year shelf life.  Lithium can have 15 year shelf life.  

Rechargeable NiMH have the most bang for the buck if you use them a lot and charge them a lot.  They have low shelf life. They loose like 1% power per day.  Best used for your camera and stuff that drains them fast.  We use a lot of them.

Rechargeable Li-ion batteries like the 18650 and others have more output power and longer run times. Depending on the driver in a light, they may put out more lumen or them may just have a lot higher run times. On the down side, they have a life of only 3-5 years if you use them or not.  Stored in a cool place not fully charged will extend the life.  Laptop batteries usually only last about two years because they are kept fully charged a lot and warm a lot.  On the upside, they have a much better shelf life for drain down than NiHM.  So they are great if you don't use them for a while and then really use them a lot.  They really are not as practical if you don't use them a lot because you will only get so much time out of them before they go bad anyway.  It is best to run them down a ways and recharge.  Total drain down does shorten the life. The li-ion is great for heavy users like night workers, pest inspectors, military, rescue and so on. They use them a lot and really need max run time when they have to have them.

In my mind, the high end rechargeable are good if you use the light a lot all year or if you are doing remote hunts where you will use the light a lot and want max run times with minimal extra batteries along.  Then you get your moneys worth.  If you only use your light during hunting season a short time here and there, and only seldom off season, you may only get a few high demand uses a year so not a lot of use for the powerhouse rechargeable battery in 3-5 years before it is shot.  For the same money you spend on the li-ion battery you can get a couple sets of single use lithium batters that will be there when you need them for 10 or 15 years self life and likely cover the same usage time if you don't use it a lot over that 3-5 years.  Cold be a break even not counting the charger.

I use a couple LED head lamps hunting getting in, out, setting decoys, setting stands, tracking, and gutting animals in the dark. I use them on and off for power outages, night walks in winter months, building inspections and general use over the year.  I get about a hole year out of 3 AAA or 2 AA batteries if I just use one of the lights for everything.  I have a couple so that doesn't happen now days.  I am on year three with high end Duracell copper tops in the one I keep in my waterfowl bag. Having a high end battery in that light would be a complete waste. I do have to say that I only use as much light as needed for the task. I don't go lumen crazy with my LED lights.  I use the lowest setting I can for what I need to do.  All but one of my LED's are muti level lumen outputs.

The Li-ion top type is dependent on the device.  I kind of like the button top because I am less likely to put them in backwards.  You have to check to see what any particular device require.  Most laptops and other items that only use the LI-ion battery use flat tops from what I have seen, but that may not be the case always.  I know some require button top like my new Eagletac.   I would assume that a light that uses CR123's or other single use batteries also would be more likely to need a button top.  I think some lights can use either flat or button top if the contact points are set up to work with either and battery length is not an issue. I am fairly certain I read up on one light that took both. I have seen where you can get a magnetic button to put on flat top batteries so you can use them in devices needing a button top.

I am starting off with CR123's in my new light, but my light takes the RCR rechargeables and the 18650.  I have all kinds of options and that is nice.  I personally don't think  I would get a light that only took the rechargables.  I figure I should easily get well over a year of typical use out of about $3.50 in batteries if I don't go crazy with the high output modes.  I was able to get 10 of the higher end longer run batters for under $20 shipped. There is even better deals than that for the middle of the road batteries with slightly less max run time.  I will see how controlled I am. Blasting stuff with 600-800 lumens is kind of fun.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Blasting stuff with lumens!  Haha

Sat morn found me w my new Fenix headlight, very early w a long walk thru heavy woods w lots of trip hazards. After about the 5th near fall, on low lumens, heck w that, lit up the ground clutter until closer to hunt area. Much better!

Thx for your posts, it's helped me better understand all the new lights an batteries.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
OK, once again I must thank TJ for his research and sharing here on Tradgang (I've got a Covert trail camera due to his recommendation in the past and it's the best camera yet for me).  Now I just received my Fenix PD32 UE and I'm looking forward to my first blood trail too.

Also appreciate Extrema312's battery discussion above. I'll probably end up with the 123's versus rechargeable 18650 based on my usage patterns, however we'll see what I find here in the next day or so.  

Thank you all for your input.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Here we go.  I got some pics of the Eagletac light. Here it is with a pen, some AA batteries, and a mini Maglite LED for reference.  

I could only do beam profile close up with my phone.  I can't get anything decent outside so far for longer range spread or throw.  I can try to do one close up on some ground cover if someone once one.  I may play with the phone to see if I can do better or try the old digital.

I had to hold the phone over my head to try and get the beam in so I didn't get the shot centered or tape right in the beam center.  The light is held out so the beam will not be over my feet.  About 3' from light to hot spot.

This is the light on about 68 lumen brown carpet.  Tape is extended 36" from the tape body.  you really don't see the full light spread in the photo, or how defined it is.  The spread is over 4'.

For reference this is a 77 lumen mini mag focused for spot and best flood focus. Beam spread is about 32".

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ray Lyon:
OK, once again I must thank TJ for his research and sharing here on Tradgang (I've got a Covert trail camera due to his recommendation in the past and it's the best camera yet for me).  Now I just received my Fenix PD32 UE and I'm looking forward to my first blood trail too.

Also appreciate Extrema312's battery discussion above. I'll probably end up with the 123's versus rechargeable 18650 based on my usage patterns, however we'll see what I find here in the next day or so.  

Thank you all for your input.
Just got back from Shrewhaven Camp and had the pleasure of breaking in the new light on a nighttime blood trail for my doe.  The light worked great and the light circle was fantastic and blood showed up readily.  I was able to use it on a mid setting and then click the button to give me maximum burst to scan ahead for the downed deer.  I ended up getting the 123 batteries, since I keep the light in my 'possibles bag' and only use during hunting season.  Initial review says it's going to be one of those purchases that is a 'value' based on what I get for it over the long haul.  Thanks again TJ and others for your research and comments above.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Glad you like it Ray, I really like mine as well. The sting of the price goes away after you use it that is for sure.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Just pay attention to those batteries.  Follow the safety warnings.  The warnings sound a lot like the those for Other battery types but the consequences are more serious.

You don't want to Leave them in the light long term and not monitored. Don't mix batteries of different charge levels. Keep track of battery pairs once you start using them. You don't want to melt down a lithium battery.  I can become an a "terrorist cell"and that will not be fun.

Get good protected cells. Some of the cheapest ones are okay but i have read some of them are fake and not safe.  Some don't have the best protection or any protection.

Make sure to get them from a good source also.  I have read where some sellers put them in plastic bags and some batteries are old and don't have a full charge.

Replace batteries when the light dims or blinks as noted be the manufacturer.  Over discharging is a big no no.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
I read this tread when it first came out and was fascinated at the quality research and info provided by KentuckyTJ, LBHTR, Extrema312 and everyone else that shared here. When I decided to get another light I searched for this tread and read it all over again.

I had bought a 120 lumen LED light at Academy and used it to recover 2 deer this year and thought it was awesome. Compared to what I was using it was BUT I just bought and received an EagleTac D25LC2 and the light is just amazing.

All I can say is you really cannot appreciate one of the good high lumen output lights until you put one in your hands and turn your old light on, compare and see what you have been missing.

Thanks again for the tread guys. The info you shared in the fall of 2013 lives on!   :clapper:
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
FENIX
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline GoBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
Zebralight makes outstanding flashlights and headlights.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I have too many flashlights.  My wife collects shoes.  I collect bows and flashlights.  We all have our afflictions.   :)  

In addition to the ones already mentioned on this site, I have a lantern by Milwaukee that runs on their 18V battery for their shop tools.  Wow it puts off an amazing amount of light.  I use it for camping, shop and blood trailing.

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
This one guy on youtube has great flashlight reviews. you could stop by his channel, watch a couple vids, and get an idea of what you want. His youtube name is Nutnfancy
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
I am a Nebo flashlight dealer and for the money they make a great product.I have them on my **** store through My GM dealership(Jim Price Chevrolet)Not trying to make a sale just if you guys are curious google the Nebo lights. I just think they do a good job.
Kentucky TJ...PM me your addy or email me
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
Since we've pulled up an old thread.  My several year old Fenix PD30 is still going strong.  But BETTER is my Fenix E35UE that takes li-ion rechargable 18650 packs and they give as much output as a pair of C123 cells.  I have three of the 18650s.  This I use almost every night this time of year & through the winter to close up the chicken coops after dark and it will go a month before I swap out the pack.  

Has a turbo feature that is blinding.  Love this light!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©