3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Flashlight  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Flashlight
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
I have a hard time blood trailing with the LED lights. They seem to "white out" everything for me. I then turn on my surefire and it has a "yellow" light, instant blood trail...

Do any of these lights have the yellow beam and use AA bateries?
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
Tom,

You may want to look at a Coast model HP7, it is over 200 lumens and runs on 4 AAA batteries. it costs $50.00, but it is built to last a lifetime and has the warranty to back it up.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Benjy:
I have a hard time blood trailing with the LED lights. They seem to "white out" everything for me. I then turn on my surefire and it has a "yellow" light, instant blood trail...

Do any of these lights have the yellow beam and use AA bateries?
Blood trailing will be the main use of this one for me and the lights color issue makes a big difference and is what I am wondering about. What is best color for blood trails not to make the blood drowned out or even enhance it?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
I have a TerraLux 220.  Awesome light with 220 lumens.  They make a 330 but the light is more diffuse it seems.  We buy some of our work stuff from an electronics store and the owner showed me this light one day.  As soon as I saw it I knew it would be perfect for me.  I've used it to blood trail many times.  When I showed it to my cousin he immediately went and 2 of them and I think I'm going to pick up another.  They are cheap....between 25-35 dollars depending on where you get them.  Runs on AA....... A good light is right up there with sharp broadheads for where and how I often hunt.  Night trailing is a necessity otherwise the coyotes will leave you with the rack and some bones and not much else.  Rick.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Fenix are amazing. I ride my bike in the mountains full boar at night on medium.  It makes blood glow.  It will light up your world and lasts almost a whole season with 1 set of batteries. Lithium are far superior to AA

Offline jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
One that works
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown
66" Nothern Mist American

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Benjy, Kentucky TJ,
I have a related post asking about bulb options in the LED's. Maybe LB-hntr will chime in here, he's the light authority. He PM'd me and said for blood trailing at night you need what the manufacturers refer to as the "neutral" or "natural" white option, not the "cool" white.  My SureFire makes blood glow.  It's several years old and was a gift from my son, so I guess I got lucky on the color.  The technology has left my model behind, now you can get 700-800 lumens max output. I'm getting an Eagle Tac D25LC2 and he said to get the XM-L2 bulb, not the XP. Hope this helps.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Another vote for the Fenix.

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
I recently bought one of Gander Mountains brand lights and it is really nice. Only $35 bucks and is 200 lumens and the light is clear and not so blue.  Haven't trailed blood with it yet tho so I hope to test that in a couple of days
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
I have a cabelas 9v xenon gas powered flashlight that takes 3 lithium batteries. They don't carry it anymore, but if you can get something similar you would love it. Its great for blood trailing, is all I use it for.
I also carry a petzal headlamp for everything else.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
I would suggest upping the price a bit and buying a light which uses rechargeable 18650 series batteries. One 18650 is equivalent to 2 CR123 batteries. Considering the price of batteries vs the charger, you'll break even in less than 6 months. The 18650s are less prone to leakage which might kill a good light.

Fenix is the way to go on this.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
I have used the budget stuff for a long time.  Have a couple decent ones.  There are a couple options on the mini mag LED.  One is all high power, but there is one that is mid range on power with some other functions that works well for me.  I like my cheap 6 bulb Energizer head lamp just fine.  

However, I am about sold on a 123 CR battery light for high output stuff and trailing.  You can now find those batteries about everywhere, you can get a pack cheap on line,  they last a long time, and great in cold weather, not that you get a lot of that.  Looking at either a Fenix or Eagle Tec with the right light color.  Just about ready to order something. They are just too nice with too many light levels and functions not to get.  Then there is the size, so compact and easy to carry.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Another vote for a Fennix E21.  I also have, and use more, an $18 unit from Homedepot.  I don't know the model, just that it uses a single Cree bulb and three AAA batteries- I believe it produces 80 lumins.  My Fennix has two settings, and the top setting of about 180 lumins is just too much light for me for the uses I generally have.  I think you could buy any flashlight with a Cree bulb and be happy.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Take a look at pelican lights. I use one that takes c cells  cheap to buy and really last  it's the best , toughest light I have ever owned
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by olddogrib:
I'm getting an Eagle Tac D25LC2 and he said to get the XM-L2 bulb, not the XP. Hope this helps.
Why did you go with the D25LC2 vs the D25C2? Also why the XM and not the XP?

I was thinking XP because I don't need the max output and like the longer run times, but it looks like maybe the beam profile could be a consideration.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
xtrema312,
the d25Lc2 can use rechageable 18650 batteries as well as 2 cr123s.
The beam profile on the XP bulb is too much of a spot. the XM is a perfect mix of flood for blood trailing and close up work of hang stands but still throws well for naviagation.

Offline kirkbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
Check out Zebra Light.

I have one of their floody headlamps. I love it so much i have been thinking of getting another for the misses.

They also have flashlights. The SC52w AA is 280 lumens on max setting. The (w) stands for warm color light meaning not blue.

It's just a bit past the budget at 64 bones. Great light though.

Kirk
Thumbring shooter seeking fellow students

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." Henry David Thoreau

Offline kirkbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »
I forgot to say it takes one AA battery so it's small

It has multiple settings but is intuitive to operate, there are more unique settings but there is typically  not a need for them

Will burn for up to 3 months continuously on its lowest setting but typically four days on the regular low setting.

You can get the AA batterys anywhere and if you want the cold weather performance the AA's are available in Lithium in most places too.

kirk
Thumbring shooter seeking fellow students

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." Henry David Thoreau

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
I have two I really like.  A Fenix PD30 R2 and a Princeton Tec Eos.  The latter I use on the handlebar of my bike in the summer and as a headlamp or back-up for camp and bloodtrailing when hunting; and is handier when field dressing.  Takes 3 AAA batteries.  The Fenix is MUCH brighter and more rugged.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 05:17:00 AM »
Ive been using a  AAA Petzel head lamp for about 4 years now.  I am very happy with it, its LED but not doesnt cast a very blue light.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©