3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Flashlight  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Flashlight
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
Wow....

That's the first time that this site is going to cost me money.

Pretty sure I found my new flashlight for bowhunting.

http://www.lighthound.com/Fenix-PD32-Ultimate-Edition--740-Lumen--XM-L-T6-Neutral-White-LED_p_4154.html

That's more impressive specs than I've seen on a Surefire in a long time, and it's natural white...  So there...

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
Ok, after studying flashlight features for over a week now, I have ordered the Fenix PD32 Ultimate Edition.

-Has multiple levels, brightest being 740 lumens with good battery life.
-Has a Natural White LED instead of the blueish white.
-The beam angle is the widest I could find on these type lights which will be very good at the 4-10' viewing while blood trailing. Other beams were very tight which is good at 100+ feet but not for right in front of you.
-Has the rechargeable 18650 or two CR123 batteries
-Small enough for a backpack or pocket.

I know I wanted to stay under $50 but the offerings in that category just didn't do what I wanted this light for. I also bought the Fenix E21 for my truck. It runs on two AA batteries like I wanted originally. I have a ton of rechargeable AA's around for my trail cams.

I plan on running these two through the paces over the next weeks and will let you all know what I find.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Sounds good TJ.  I very interested to see how you like them. I am on the fence between that and a eagletec D25LC2. Waiting to see if get an e-mail back from eagletec on how the Moonlight and lower low settings works to see if I can figure out all the light levels you really get.

I like that 4sevens light posted earlier but no neutral white from what I can see.

The little inexpensive ones posted a couple times by missing and hoyt look great for a cheap extra light to have around, but over 300 output or nothing with less than 2 hours run time is not very handy for me. I could burn up the batteries in that in a day if I used it walking in the dark and I have been on more than one track that was over an hour in the dark.  I want something that could cover all the different lighting needs and quite possibly last all season.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
I will let you know Todd. As I told you my hunt began due to the need for a better blood trailing light. I have been on 7 blood trails so far this year so I am tired of fighting inexpensive lights that I can't depend on. I think this PD32 UE will do the job very well for me.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Fenix here also, great flash light in the woods !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
I went through several different cheap lights before finally trying a fenix .   I was reluctant to spend that kind of money on a small flashlight.   Man was it worth it .  Love em.  I started with the fenix pd 30,  and now have the pd 32 as well.   Great lights.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
I also have a fenix headlamp that is great

Offline mb bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
Another vote for Fenix. The guys that came to bear camp can attest to the brightness of this light. I think Glen Hermon witnessed the competition between Magic Mike and myself.

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
If youre going to spend serious $ you may be interested in this forum for lights.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
Good tip Dale. I actually found that site in my searches.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
I found that site also and a lot of good info.  You could make a hobby of just reading that site like you can this one.  

I did find some great info on batteries on one of the forum sections.  That is very valuable info.  Helped me pick what batteries to get for the best run times.  I then compared prices to find most bang for the buck. I just ordered 12 pack of Surefire CR123A's for less than $2 each shipped and dated within this year. You have to watch the dates with some sellers.

I also found the info I wanted on the Eagletec D25LC2 clicky.  So I ordered one.  I really wanted The Fenix PD32, but just couldn't make the jump to the ultimate for the neutral light. I think the Fenix has the best lumen levels for me, but I am trying to stay in my budget as best as possible.

My new Eagletec light will be my first intro into the small high output multi function lights.  Specs are as follows:

EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky XM-L2 T6 Neutral White powered by 2xCR123, 2xET/RCR123, or 1x18650 Li-ion Rechargeable.  It will be a more floody tracking and work light.  

I finally found a place that listed all the possible light levels I can get for a light close to this one, but I am guessing a little.  I think the number are something like this.

lumen levels
580/385/100/49/17/6
Run times
1/1.8/7.5/15/25/100+ hours on 2xcr123A

Run times are better yet on the rechargeable 18650, but I am gong to wait and see if that is really needed for the light levels I use for tracking and how fast I use up the CR123A's.

I am going to start of with this light to get a base line for comparison of all the light info statistics that, at this time, are hard to grasp without something for a base line. Stuff like Lumens, throw, flood, color temp, and lux.

If the new light doesn't quite do what I want, at least I will have a good light to use and a basis for picking what I need.  If this one works out well for what I need, I plan to pick up a small light with more throw distance and a cooler light for general use.  Something smaller diameter and shorter like the Eagletec twisty D25C2.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Ok, my lights came in and wanted to share the comparison.

I bought the Fenix E21 (2-AA battery's) and the Fenix PD32 UE (2-CR123's or 1-18650 rechargeable battery's)

Again I wanted a new light to blood trail with and I chose the PD32 UE for its wider beam. Most these lights throw a tight long range beam and here you can see the difference. Also the tighter beam on the E21 really is so bright in the center hot spot it drowns out everything at such a close range. The wider more diffused beam of the PD32 UE revels much more detail at this range which I think will make a much better tracking light.

E21 on left, PD32 UE on right.

You can also see the difference here in the white bulb color of the E21 and the neutral white bulb color of the PD32 UE. The carpet color is exact under the PD32 UE's neutral beam and has a blue tint with the E21's white bulb. I think this will be a plus and will better revel the red blood color on the ground while tracking.

I spent almost two weeks studying ALL the options of lights from the seemingly dozens of makers so I hope this helps in someone's search for a better tracking light.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
Carry both of them, I do..

And I also have the Fenix single AA headlight. It is very light and throws an amazing amount of light for a single AA battery.. I use it every evening, year round..

Oh, and the small single 123 flashlight is perhaps the best of both worlds, my favorite of the handhelds... It throws nearly as much light as the double cell model

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
I love those pens.  I have them in red, blue, green....   :D

Okay lights, so how wide is the beam of the PD32 at that distance both center and good usable spill?  I assume you are holding it about 3' from the floor. Is that a yard stick on the floor?

Looks kind of like the PD is flooding the whole area over the AA light.  

Post up a shot outside to see the throw distance with good light. I kind of wonder how the more floody neutral light in the PD does for distance as well as close up.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
That double A Fenix is my go to. It is small enough to hold in my mouth if I have to for gutting and I like the fact it takes regular batteries.   BILL

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
Todd,

First off, I know you are aware but for others reading this Fenix does have a PD32 but this light is their PD32 UE. It has a wider and warmer beam than the PD32. The wall paint color is what it looks like from the PD32 UE here and the E21 makes it look blue

Yes that is a yard stick and the distance to the yard stick was roughly three feet.

This may be a better example of the beams and what is visible with each. This photo is from 20' from the wall. The PD32 UE is on the left here. I will shoot some photos of them outside at night from a farther distance for you later tonight.

www.zipperbows.com

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
I for one like the more concentrated beam for trailing. Keeps me more focused. I get all my stuff from Battery Junction. They have 123's for a buck a piece.   BILL

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
Just saw Amazon has the E21 for $30 bucks with free shipping. MAN, good deal.   BILL

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
what lumen level is the last pic?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
740 lumens on the PD32 UE on left and 170 lumens on the E21. Those are both the highest output of each.
www.zipperbows.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©