3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Flashlight  (Read 3754 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Flashlight
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Too bad the one that takes the AA don't have natural white bulb
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
Thanks for all of this info.  I appreciate this kinda stuff.  How about you give us practical demo on the next big buck you kill and have to track in the next few weeks!    :bigsmyl:  

CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Kentucky, this has sure been a very informative thread that I enjoyed reading. Thanks for your research, etc. Being a little red green colorblind has had its challenges sometimes.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
TJ - I really like the beam pattern of the PD 32 UE and the warmer light.  Is it a different bulb or is it a function of the battery difference?

Looking on the Fenix website I don't see any indication of what produces the warmer light and wider pattern.  Do they make other flashlights that have the same characteristics or is it just the PD32 UE?

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Easy

The color is all LED type. Even within the cool and warm or natural there are many variants in color from one LED type to another and even within the same LED type. Something referred to as bin has to do with variants groups in the same type.

Beam is a function of the LED, and the reflector as far as spread. The difference in what you see in the two lights can be seen on the same light with just a different LED and associated circuitry.

Fenix doesn't seem to have many neutral light options at least on the small lights. Eagletac has quite a few. However, some of the LED systems in some of the Fenix lights could be a lot warmer than some LED lights you have seen.  It takes some research to figure that out.

One of The issues with LED is all the variation in the LED color even in what is listed as cool white light.  That likely explains why some say they love their LED and others say they are no good for tracking.  It depends on the LED you have.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline dingas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Maybe you guys could enlighten me a bit. I have always found that my maglight with an incandescent (sp?) bulb to shine more light than leds... everyone touts how much brighter they are, and yes, they are much brighter to look directly at the bulb but not on a distant object (to me). A friend was showing me his new expensive led light camping a few years ago and when he shone it in the bushes I turned on my maglight (3D battery this time) and not only shone farther, but the light totally obliterated his light.

So my question is is my experience with crappy lights? Did my buddy get ripped off? Or is it, as I am thinking after reading this thread, simply a matter of bulb colour? And then what colour is best for tracking blood? I am thinking the incandescent may be worst choice in that scenario...

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Dingas,

LED lights have made a world of change in the past 4-5 years and there are literally hundreds to choose from. I also have a 3 D cell maglight and if it were working I would show you the difference but believe me I know these two new LED lights would blow it away. Another benefit to these new lights is how smooth the glow is. There is no light and dark places in the light pattern at all which I think will make looking for blood in this case a lot easier. Go to this link to a video that compares a 3 D cell mag lite to one of these little lights. Skip to minute 4:00 for the comparison if you don't want to watch it all.

Here is the 50 yard tree night shot as promised. This tree is about 40' tall and about 30 yards wide.

E21 first followed by the PD32 UE. Second pic out of focus but the beam on the PD32 UE lit up the entire tree. I am really liking this light.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Thank you TJ and other big help and great thread!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
TJ, I am ready to see what happens on a blood trail. How bout hurry up and shoot something!   :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Easykeeper,

extrema312 is right. The LED or bulb in this PD32 UE is the Cree XM-L T6. How it is set in the reflector and the depth of that reflector determines the tightness of the beam.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Haha Benjy, I would say now that I want to use my new toys in a comparison to blood trail I am jinxed.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Is that max light output on the PD in the photo?
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
Yes Todd, the photos really don't revel all the spill on each of them. They are brighter in person.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
TJ,  Glad to see you got the light you wanted.
Very nice light! Its amazing what they can do for thier size isnt it.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Fenix makes good torches.  So do Quark and a few others.

I'm partial to Olights.

Olight USA  

Anyone paying more than $1 for 123 batteries needs to go here.

Battery Junction
Otto

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
Guys like Otto says there are many manufacturers out there and I am no expert. I haven't compared any of the lights side by side, so I am not pushing Fenix lights in any way. Get on the internet and there are many many comparison videos on  www.goinggear.com  and  www.youtube.com

Another thing I learned is that all batteries aren't created equal. First they do all have expiration dates and there are different voltage outputs in some, even in the same size.
www.zipperbows.com

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by dingas:
Maybe you guys could enlighten me a bit. I have always found that my maglight with an incandescent (sp?) bulb to shine more light than leds... everyone touts how much brighter they are, and yes, they are much brighter to look directly at the bulb but not on a distant object (to me).
Dingas - I carry a 3D Maglite in the SUV because it is dual purpose (light and a club).  But if you haven't seen one of the latest LED lights you owe it to yourself.  The Fenix lights are small, light-weight, long burning, rugged and brighter than you can imagine.  We're not talking the old domed resin LEDs of the 1970's

It's a different beast.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
www.zipperbows.com

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
this has been a very good thread, I now have to buy 28 flashlights to determine which one is " the best flashlight ".
   :biglaugh:  

Biggie Hoffman was so very nice to "give" me a Fenix P3D on a St Judes hog hunt several years ago, it has been my go to flashlight ever since. I admire the level of effort you folks have put into your search for the "best" and all the free knowledge I have received in this thread, but that gift from Biggie and the St Judes mojo will always be in my pack.... Thanks Biggie  

Oh I forgot to mention, my wife will be getting a new Fenix PD32 UE for Christmas ... LOL
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by dingas:
Maybe you guys could enlighten me a bit. I have always found that my maglight with an incandescent (sp?) bulb to shine more light than leds... everyone touts how much brighter they are, and yes, they are much brighter to look directly at the bulb but not on a distant object (to me). A friend was showing me his new expensive led light camping a few years ago and when he shone it in the bushes I turned on my maglight (3D battery this time) and not only shone farther, but the light totally obliterated his light.

So my question is is my experience with crappy lights? Did my buddy get ripped off? Or is it, as I am thinking after reading this thread, simply a matter of bulb colour? And then what colour is best for tracking blood? I am thinking the incandescent may be worst choice in that scenario...
I know what your are saying and have seen some of that type stuff, but I have been learning more about the lights.  We are using way more LED in our building project, and you will all be using more of them in the future as they phase out the incandescent.  

I know very a little about these lights compared to what is out there for knowledge on some of the light or torch web sites, but I will try and tell you some of what I know on the comparisons.

There is a lot to how different lights compare.  I think color impacts how you perceive the light due to detail.  The beam profile, lumen output, and throw will all make a difference on how lights compare.   LED quality and performance is all over the board.  With the old tech lights you put more power in and a larger bulb and you get more light.  They balanced output with run time.  Add more batteries for more run time.  With LED it is kind of the same to a point, but the emitter and the circuit driver on the LED make huge differences in what you get out of the same light body, reflector, and battery system. It is kind of like computer chips.  Looks the same maybe, but the performance can be very different.  Differences of 100% max light output are possible in the same light just by using different LED system.  Run times will go down, but I have seen two different LED's in the same light have 50% max output difference with no difference in run time.  Both lights cost about the same.  

I have mostly cheap LEDs right now.  A couple variant mini mags, one EverReady, and a couple others.  Those are the non head lamp LED lights we have.  All use 2-AA batteries.  I can't say on run times which  may or may not be directly correlated to output. Two of the better lights are the same output lumen, but one blows the other away with perceived performance based on beam profile and throw distance.  The better looking one is the mini mag, but when I adjust the focus to more flood it matches the other light for perceived performance.  The real difference is the focusing of the mini mag into more of a spot and increases the throw making the light look like it has better output.   The other lights look like they would be as good or maybe better lights then my two better performers, but don't touch the better two for output at all.   They are fine for around the house for power outages and for the kids to use outside and camping. They do give off more light with less battery use than standard incandescent lights.

I have some old mag lights.  One 2D, and 4D, and a mini mag or two.  My newest LED mini mag with 77 max lumen blows away my 2D. The new mini on low is brighter than the old mini mag.  I don't have enough D cells to run the 4D light to see how that does, and I am not sure if it has a xenon or  Krypton bulb. I think I will find the 4D will not keep up with the LED mini, but it could. Of course I can get a mini mag now that has over 200 lumen.  Maglite doesn't list their incandescent light data with the new ANSI standards so it is real hard to compare, but I think the incandescent large maglites have like 40 lumen.  Maybe more, but I bet not over 100. The light quality will be warmer and the 4D may have a longer run time than an LED mini, but big difference in cost to run and carry around. I know after years of using incandescent maglits, my jaw dropped the first time i switched on a LED 2xAA light with 70 plus lumen.    The only reason I still have the big 4D is for a tracking light, and obviously I don't even have that ready to go.

There are a couple real nice features about LED's in addition to size, output, and run time. Those are the ability to have multiple light levels and the light is consistent output level for way longer.  With incandescent, the light is its brightest when you first turn it on with new batteries, and it is almost all down hill from there.  

I am done with big maglites or any other large battery incandescent.  But if I still had the need for a weapon quality and size light, the 3C mag LED will put out 137 lumen for 37 hours of consistent light.  The 3D will do 131 lumen for 79 hours.    :eek:   If you don't need the weapon feature in a light, there are other lights you can loose in your pocket that run a long time with way more output, longer run times and better light tint than a big old maglite.   I would like to upgrade my old maglites to LED, but I don't know it is even worth the cost.  I may do my 4D just to have a nice LED club.     :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©