3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: St Judes Gator Hunt 2013  (Read 748 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: St Judes Gator Hunt 2013
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »

Here's Rob on the nose of the rocket at the start of his hunt

Offline JDeanP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:

Whilst the guys were out on Lake Kissimmee, Josh & I would drive ourselves to Starvation Slough & try to track down one of Florida's numerous Sus Scrofas (Wild Hog, to you unedumacated types)
Unfortunately, navigation is absolutely NOT my strongest skill (Seriously, I can get lost in a glass shower cubicle) & Central Florida, in failing light is NOT the best place to try & learn.
We didn't find any hogs. We DID find a lot of mosquitos, banana spiders, Saw grass & a canal. Somehow in a 1 mile saunter, we managed to cover about 5 miles (65% was in knee-deep, stagnant water) the last 4 of which I had to do barefooted, due to having literally walked the boots off my feet. Yeah, it pretty much sucked all round. We got back into the motel at around midnight, 4½ hours after dark. Tired, extremely sore, sweaty & thankful for cellphone GPS!
It was actually a lovely stroll through my favorite bit of public land. While perhaps momentarily bewildered as to our exact location, due to the overwhelming excitement of being in Jurassic Park, I would not use the term "lost" so easily.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Offline JDeanP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by beachbowhunter:
Looks like that crew could have used a bigger boat..   :biglaugh:  
Surplus space is kept to a minimum so as to do the same for rude individuals.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
Hi Josh!    :wavey:

Alrighty.
Wednesday night was to be my turn at the 'gators.
We launched the boat & immediately started seeing eyes. Mostly smallish lizards around the 4-5 foot mark & I passed them all.
I aso passed on a number of 6-7 footers, convinced that we'd run up on something bigger as the night progressed.
Well, we did run into a lovely 9, but he dissappeared beneath the lilies as soon as we were withing range & I couldn't see well enough to get a sure shot. Alligators really need to be hit in the side or belly for the arrow to take hold. The skin along their backs & tails is pretty well arrow-proof!
Cursing my luck, we motored back out into open water only to spot a big, big gator off in the murk. Big enough that at our 200yd distance, we could determine the gap between it's eyes. Not something you can do with the tiddlers.
Well, they don't get big by accident & this 'un were no exception. 30yds off of the bow, down he dropped, lost forever more to the murky depths.
Getting frustrated now.
Round about 2am, we were all tired, battered (a 60mph airboat ride ain't exactly the QE II) & bleary eyed under the intense glare of headlights & reflections off the water. Seeing a 6 foot gator, not too far off to our starboard side, I motioned for Chris to gun it over.
A good, solid shot to the flank brought the gator to it's final conclusion & it was soon tagged & gently cooling in the bottom of the boat.
I was so happy to have finally got a gator (It's been an ongoing affair of me not getting a gator, for four years!) I could barely contain myself! Hands were shaken, backs were patted, fists were bumped & we headed back to dry(ish) land for a looooong night's rest.

Forgot to mention..... Hotel maids are a different breed in Central Florida. Charles' 7 foot gator spent all night on ice in the hotel bathtub. Maids didn't bat a damned eyelid. This is not an uncommon ocurrence for them, but we tipped them well for their forbearance!

Thursday was all about sunburn & reptile anatomy.
Unlike deer or hogs, Alligators really do not want to come out of their skins & it took me the better part of 2 hours to get the thing shucked, butchered & iced down! 97º weather, cloudless skies & lack of sleep helped put a lovely rosy glow on the top of my head, nose & ears, however I didn't feel a bit of it. Butchering & meat-prep are the highlight of any hunt for me. I love the processing process as much as the hunt & getting inside something as different as a 6 foot lizard really had me exited. Call me weird, everyone does.

The evening saw Charles & Chris on a sightseeing trip up & down the Kissimmee river & floodplains.
It is one of the most beautiful places on earth, in my opinion & the biodiversity of the area rivals anything that Africa or the Amazon could possibly offer. Wild flowers abound & the birdlife is just awesome.
Shane had lit out earlier in the day, leaving Pete (Chris' Father) Josh & myself to go mooch around & try to scare up a pig or three.
Pete & I were dropped by a pond (MY pond!) on Starvation Slough. Josh would be dropped a couple of miles upwind & would work his way through the palms to us, as night descended.
Well, to cut a long story a wee bit shorter, I had a sounder of eating size pigs break through the palmettos about 50 yds from my setup & started working away from me. I managed to side-step around them & get a shot in, but in the failing dusk-light I misjudged the distance & dropped a Zwickey-tipped arrow right below the heart & lungs of a pretty hundred pounder. Nothing but dirt, dammit.
Pete'd had no luck & Josh saw nothing but a couple of snakes (A Pygmy Rattler & a Cottonmouth)
The next night produced similar results for we three & more flora & fauna spotted, cataloged & photographed by Charlie.

Saturday morning signaled an end to our trip & Pete very kindly volunteered to run Charles back to the airport in Orlando. We said our goodbyes & parted as even better friends than we met. A finer gent I have never shared a camp with yet & I fervently hope that we can repeat our frolics next year!

For Josh, Chris & I, well, we had one last chance at a grand hoorah.

My Gator....

The pond on Starvation.....

Hog path, where I expected to see action.....

Hog Pirate! (yaaaarrrr).....

"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »

No alcohol was involved!!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Good story telling all the way around!  Brings back some fond memories for me. Those lizards are perfect eating size   :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Excellent Story telling Charles and Rob...

I spent time with Charles once in WI and he indeed is a gentleman and also a HOOT! A quicker wit is hard to find!

Sounds like a grand ole time!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
Love that gator hunting!

Offline chris 1968

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
The purple ribbon is a tip of the cap to a dear friend fighting cancer. He hunted with me a couple of years ago and we became fast friends. The bastad must die.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
Awesome guys!  Neet gator too. Thought the part about cooling the gator in the tub was the best!  All very cool. Glad you all had a great time!
Oh and Rob. Are those a few grays I see poppin through that beard!  Haha. Oh I can't poke fun as they have been worming their way out since I turned 40 last yr!

Offline Supercracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
It was a fun night. Looking forward to doing it again soon. Hopefully the water won't be so high next time. We had had a lot of rain, some of the areas we were running around in are normally cow pasture!

Not being good for much else, I  tried very hard to get some video, but because of the lighting virtually none of it was worth anything. The one video that is entertaining, pretty well sums up the event.

ME or CHRIS:"What is that, a tail?"
ROB: "Don't know, let's grab it and see if it moves" lol

We all come into this world screaming, bloody and naked. If life is lived properly this does not stop at birth.

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
That looks like a heck of an adventure!

Congrats !

Bisch

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »

Just realized I hadn't posted a picture of my "St Judes Gator"

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »

UPS brought this to me last Thurs. Peter, Chris Horsman's dad took the head home with him, bleached and mounted it on a beautiful oak frame with name plate and mailed it to me. Guys, it just can't get better than this. What wonderful people on TRADGANG!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©