3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A weekend of almost.  (Read 342 times)

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
A weekend of almost.
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
Our season in Tennessee started Saturday morning but school related volunteer work stranded me at a trash clean up with the Student Fisheries Association. It was a close call but I managed to make it home in time for an evening hunt behind my aunt and uncle's house. This is a fun place to hunt this time of year because Hamilton County has a fall turkey permit and there are a load of hens that use the area.
 As I sat in the tree watching and listening to an army of grey squirrels run around and make one heck of a commotion I failed to notice a pair of hens sneak in behind me. Hen #1 flew up to roost while hen #2 busted me grabbing my bow off my lap...Almost #1.
 Right around dark I could hear a deer working its way down the hill into the saddle. When he got there I realized I was looking at a small eight pointer. Having never killed a buck with my bow he was more than fair game. For some reason he was acting really spooky so I was hesitant to mouth bleat at him when he was walking by at around 15 yards. Wouldn't you know it the one place he stops in is right behind a small cedar tree. He stopped, looked around, and walked away...Almost #2.
 Fast forward to Sunday night. The wind was good for one of my favorite evening sets so I hopped in the truck and drove over for a hunt before I had to go back to school. Come around 6:00 I have 3 bucks, 2 does, and a fawn come by. Only one deer comes within range...a spike in full velvet. He feeds broadside at 10 yards and stops with ONE LIMB in the way (That brown thing in the middle of the picture is what he was behind). He then proceeds to feed up to 5 yards where he busts me drawing on him...ALmost #3.  
 The last almost comes about 10 minutes after the deer leave. A flock of turkeys move in and spread out all around me. One hen starts my direction and gets called back by the big hen on the hill...Almost #4.
 After all of this happened I just shook my head, laughed, and thanked the Lord for allowing me to see some deer and other wildlife interact with each other. Maybe next weekend will pan out better but heck I'm at least in deer so I cant complain    :biglaugh:  
And just for fun I had to add the face of the beaten bow hunter in here.   :laughing:    

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A weekend of almost.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »
Hang in there, your onto game .   :thumbsup:

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »
hunting is farmore important than just killing somethign...keep at it and it will all come together!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
I had similar experience with mule deer this weekend...just part of the allure of hunting with stick and string

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
Sounds great... like real, live hunting!!!! :rolleyes:  

Keep after them, and enjoy the journey.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Sounds like a great weekend of hunting to me!
  Deer have a knack for stopping with limbs and trees blocking their vitals...lol
Keep at it, you are off to a great start!

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
Just sounds like lots of reasons to stay at it to me. Hunting public land like I do, you sometimes go days, weeks, occasionally whole seasons without even seeing a deer. Keep at it, I expect to see a "hero photo" here in the very near future.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
Keep up the hard work, as long as you are seeing game, you are in the right location.  It will happen.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©