3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back in the saddle!  (Read 381 times)

Offline ldpettiford77

• Trad Bowhunter
Back in the saddle!
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Hey folks just wanted to share my comeback story. Back in 2009, I got the bright idea to start hunting traditional. Well the only problem was I did not know exactly what I was doing. I got most of my info from YouTube and different articles from Google searches. The videos and articles were enough to get me zeroed into the 10 ring on consistent bases. Well as traditional hunting goes there were plenty of misses (close misses), and one successful hunt where I took a small doe. Well after some peer pressure form buddies I unstrung my bow and placed it in the back of the closet.
Enter 2013, a good friend and hunting buddy many of you know by the name of Chrispin (Chenryiv) talked me into making a so called come back. I decided not to go head first into this thing so I purchased a 68” 50lbs PSE legacy longbow. I practiced every couple of days or when my schedule allowed. Around May 2013, I was cleaning the garage and came across six cedar arrows that I purchased in 2009. This is when it begun, I went out back and nocked one of the cedar arrows, drew back to anchor, the fell of the feathers touching my nose as I settled in, the smell of the cedar, it was like a light went off. I released the arrow, and swoosh thump. “What the……. So I missed the target but nail the log next to it. I forgot to mention that when I started traditional in 2009 I used the gap method know I'm shooting instinctive. So to make a long story short after many hot, wet days and 100’s of mosquito bites there was not a day that I did not practice. My goal was to only hunt traditional through the 2013 season.
In August, Chrispin introduced me to a gentleman by the name of Paul Redavid (paarcherysupplies.com). Being the awesome guy he is Paul invited me to his home to shoot. Paul and Chris gave me lots of knowledge that day, more then they will take credit for I would suspect.
Now let’s skip to 10/29/2013. I was late but rolling towards the honey hole. Due to work I did not have time to scout the way I wanted, but with the help of Google maps and scoutlook.com I felt confident in the area I selected to hunt. I arrived at the property at 4:46pm the temp was around 76 and the wind was perfect for my planned set.
I eased into the wood line just of the field looking for acorns on the ground. Bingo, gotcha! Not even 20yrds of the field acorns. I stopped to listen. Click clack click clack thump. Oh yeah they are falling. The leave on the ground looked ruffled as if something had moved them from the place where they first fell. I found a tree to climb. Now I’m about 18’ up even with the canopy of a small oak to my left. The green field and acorns are behind me and I’m looking down into a small drop off and drainage. I could see evidence of game trails leading from the bottom past my set to the acorns behind me. At 6:50pm she stepped out, from where I do not know, didn’t see or hear her come in. She stood feeding at about 35 to 40yrds. And then it happened, she picked up movement from the left. She zeroed in on something what I do not know. She did not like it and eased back into the bottom never to be seen again. After the brief letdown. I hear a snap to my right. Oh boy, a small doe easing down the ridgeline. I hit the bleat. She turns and starts to feed my way. Being right handed and all I had to pick a chance to stand and turn. She was coming towards me none stop every few yards going behind a tree or brush. It was - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - trying to stand and turn without getting busted. Finally into position, and she is about 20yrds out. She stops, totally locks up. No shot and I would like her closer. Here we go crash snap crash. She runs off. Dang tree rats fighting man what the... I hit the bleat again and she turns around now the deer is coming from the bottom on my left side but she is moving tail up. She passes to my left 40yrds out. I could see she was a lil one but I could not help it I hit the bleat one more time. She stopped and started coming in but behind me. I’m cover up pretty good, well maybe too good. All that cover is now in the way and the deer is headed straight for my back trail, man she will blow every deer out of the woods. Well it’s now or never. I moved into position careful not to bang my 68” bow on the stand and make sure there was enough clearance that the limbs from the tree next to me and the limbs of my bow want connect upon release. I pick a spot she moves in behind a pine tree. I’m aiming low to anticipate the deer’s reaction. And as deer do she stops behind a pine tree12 yds out head and neck exposed. Some may have waited but this was a shoot I had practice day in and out. I focused on my spot and released. My 645grn gold tip arrow fitted with a Simmons interceptor seemed to be moving in slow motion (maybe it’s just slow) I saw the arrow sink deep into the little doe’s neck as she tried to jump the string. She went down right away. It seemed as if she died 10 sec after hitting the ground. Man what a felling! It’s great to put in so much work and it pay off with straps on the ground. I am hooked for life. I want to thank everyone who wrote a traditional adventure on the forum. I have read so many over the past few months and all the videos folks have posted. Sorry this was so long but it fells great. Thanks again for all the help you you offered through your stories and videos, they are the part of the reason for this success.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/ldpettiford77/x2.jpg  

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/ldpettiford77/24bb5d30-6de1-426b-8305-d5ea50160622.jpg

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back in the saddle!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Way to make it happen... Those Simmons are devastating  :thumbsup:

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
Congrats on the Deer, welcome back.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Way to go!  Congrats on job well done.

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Very nice and Congrats!!! The first doe I shot with a Longbow was also shot in the neck! Mine was not exactly on purpose however!!   :D
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
Very nice and Congrats!!! The first doe I shot with a Longbow was also shot in the neck! Mine was not exactly on purpose however!!   :D
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Now thats huntin.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
:clapper:
Slickhead

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Great job! Congrats
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
Great Doe, congrats!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Great Story Larry!!  Way to get it done.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and he bends with his might that his >>--> may go swift and far.

Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Great job Larry and way to make it happen   :thumbsup:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
Good for you!!! That's some tasty venison in back that truck!  :clapper:    :clapper:
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Wow! Don't think I'd have the guts to try that shot...sure did a number though.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline ldpettiford77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm still reliving the moment as I type.

Offline ldpettiford77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm still reliving the moment as I type.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 01:19:00 AM »
well done and well told!
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »
Congrats!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 03:27:00 AM »
Cool stuff.   :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
Good story.  Nice hunt.

Thanks for sharing!
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©