3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mississippi Hunt/ Kill Thread 2013-14 season  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mississippi Hunt/ Kill Thread 2013-14 season
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Had a great thurs aft-sun. Saw some deer finally.  Ended up killing 3 does with new Talltines.  Spurs hunted with me all weekend saw a few couldn't get one to act right.   Graybark killed one this aft as well.  It looks promising weather wise for the weekend.

Before any body throws up a red flag we are on DMAP and with tags you can shoot as many as you want in one day If you have tags.  If you don't it's one a day

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2013, 02:02:00 AM »
Was able to get a good shot on a doe at 10 yds this evening..saw a handful. It was good to get out..im up with my baby and my hands are pretty full...i willl post pics tomorrow

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
Way to go guys.

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
Longspur waiting on pics and story.

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
ill post mine.. long story short, she and 5 other came into a food plot at 10 steps and the Abowyer Large Bonehead made some groceries..      

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Ok, been swamped and now got some pictures of the horns. Bear with me on this story.

It has been HOT, Real HOT down here the first part of October. Opening day it was so hot, i did not want to even sit in the tree, between the mosquitoes,humidity and finicky wind, the first afternoon was awful. Not enjoyable at all for me.

A couple of days later my dad, brother and i posted up again in a couple of different spots and all saw deer. I had 2 shots at does and missed both. 1 at 22 yards and other at 8. Needless to say i was upset,mad and starting to question my form, release, BOW and all of my equipment. I believe that was on a Sunday. My brother(graybarkhunter)killed that afternoon and was happy as a lark. I was happy for him because he was about to have his first baby and i knew i would be able to pull away in this race of kills that all brothers try to achieve:)

That night i got home and sent an email to a Tradganger on here Mike about a bow that i had asked him about back in August. I immediatly purchased it and said it needed to be here before the weekend preferably by Friday because i was planning on going after a deer that my brother and dad had see on 2 different occasions. 2 days later my brother had his little girl and i knew he was out for a while. Keeping dad off the spot was not going to happen so i just let it ride and hoped that the bow would come before Friday so i could tune her and go.

I saw a thread a while back on Timberghost Hybrids. I was intrigued and decided to do research and ask as many people as i could on the bow and how it performed. From all the info i decided to put a want ad on here. I had 2 offers. I talked to Mike Spaulding numerous time as well as Kent from Timberghost and both were unbelievable in helping me.

I dont know about you guys but i am an impulsive buyer, and a guy told me once not to make any decisions when you are mad because it might come back to haunt you. It did not matter, i was pissed and did not blame my Cheyenne for the doe misses, it was operator error BUT it did give me a reason to buy a new bow! So i emailed Mike and told him the situation, he said he would have it here if possible.

I wanted to wire the money to him so he would ship as soon as possible. He would not have it and said that he trusted me and would stick it in the mail Tuesday, BEFORE MY CHECK EVEN SHOWED UP. Unbelievable!

He mailed it Tuesday, sent me the tracking number. I checked Wed and it was still up north somewhere.
Thurs morning i checked track again, OUT FOR DELIVERY.

My Postman usually runs between 12 and 1. needless to say i was at the house from 11:45 till 1:15. No mail truck anywhere. I drove around the neighborhood stalking him. Finally at 230 i found him about 2 miles from my house and he flagged me down because over the years, he knows what is in the tube or box.

Got to house shot it few times and really liked it. Got it tuned as as well as i could with brother help and felt good. I wanted to really start over with new arrows but i just felt like i was good or good enough. It hit where i was looking ,so on and so on.

Tuned up, Centaur big games sharpened and thermocell refueled. Friday i left work early and met dad at the farm and told him i was going to go after the buck that he had seen on Wed. He said go ahead, we had pictures the day before at around 6 pm and he was in there. There is no way that he will come back i thought.

Here he is the day before, so i knew where i thought he might be coming from and was ready at 415.

5:05 i am texting with Widowdoublelung,Spurs,dad and Graybarkhunter just killing time when i look up and see a body move thru a patch of sunlight.
Picked up binos and saw his rack and knew it was him. He was coming straight down the trail he was supposed to in the food plot. The trail he entered on was at 20 yds coming straight on so he entered the field and walked to within 13 yds but was facing me the entire time.

Intense is about the only word there is to describe the situation because he was looking thru me or under me, i was not sure but standing up waiting on a broadside turn felt like 20 minutes but was probably only about 2. So i was looking away just trying to keep my Sh**&%t together so that i would not look at his horns all the while using my periphrial vision to notice a turn one way or the other for a shot.

Finally, he turns to his left, i draw, anchor and loose.
Slightly quartering away, my first thought was oh no it is a little high but being so close it should lodge down in.

The arrow hits, sinks in about 15 inches and stops, no pass thru and arrow sticking out at 45 degree angle with green lighted nock flashing while running off hitting trees. I saw last tree he ran by and he disappeared and seconds after i lost sight, i heard him bellowing like he was dying while running up a small hill. Kind of struggling.

Like i said , my first thought was HIGH and no pass thru BUT when i heard him bellow i felt better and honestly thought he was dead within 100yds.

Long story short, we came back 2 hours later and found zero blood, arrow, hair, deer, green lighted nock,nothing. I came back with my 4 year old the next morning and did another search to no avail.We were sick and again i was second guessing my equipment, release , form etc.

I did not know what to do. Told my neighbor that i had shot one and be on the lookout for buzzards. All hope was lost, i even hunted the same spot 4 days later to look for buzzards.

This past friday i get a text from my neighbor and this is what it was.

I could not believe it. That was him and his caretakers had found him next to his lake which was about 700 yds from where i shot him with my arrow still in him. He was severely decomposed and cutting the horns off is a another story.

I was pumped to say the least and have not had another shot at a deer since. HaHa, doesnt matter because my confidence is back up and with the Timberghost coming thru, i cant say it is the equipment. It is an awesome bow to say the least. Thanks Mike

9 Point
56" Timberghost 56@28  225 grain Centaur Big Game head
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
I need that kind of luck brother. I am very happy you found your deer.  He is a brute!!!  Coming back down this weekend to hopefully see one. Ha
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
Glad you found him and have that closure, he was a great buck and will make a great trophy!

What are you guys feeding those deer? Y'all had some great ones last years and are off to another great year.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Great buck! Glad you ended up finding him. May not have been the way you wanted it to happen but that's the way it goes sometimes. Reminds me of a buck I killed a couple years ago. Shot him almost right under my tree and only got one lung because of the steep angle. I knew he was down and ended up finding but not before the coyotes did.
Glad you're liking the bow, sounds like it found a good home!

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Next time when I see a shooter Nobody will know    :biglaugh:  
Naw, I guess I'll tell.. At least one of us got him congrats again bro

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Glad you found him,  not having any closer sucks.  He is a good one for sure.

Offline Mike Falkner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Good work MS guys!  Been seeing little bucks, no shooters yet and no good shots on a doe.  Cold front later this week should have them up and moving.
Mike

Psalms 44:6

Offline Douglas Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
That's a great deer I'm glad you got your hands on him.

This ain't a deer but its dinner ha  
'72 Bear Kodiak Hunter 60"-53#@28"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Nice "buck" Doug.

Offline JJACOBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
Wow, what luck you have longspur!

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
great googly moogly, that's a nice buck!
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
That's a great deer! glad you found him and way to whack those does boys! I have a similar story but with no happy ending. I have debated even telling this but I will. I have just been sick to my stomach ever since.

Friday evening I hunted a spot of public land here in Starkville that I had only been to one time in the past. Long story short, at about 6:20 I look up and see a good buck coming my way.  He was a solid 8 with high antlers and at least a 3 year old maybe more.  Well he decided to flank me and walk a logging road and not come in. I had one hole at about 35 yards. I stopped him in it and drew back. My form and shot felt perfect except for one key thing.  In the heat of the moment I rushed the shot, I guess cuz I didn't think he would stand there long, and didn't completely touch my anchor on my face. The shot was perfect up and down but I hit him forward in the shoulders.

He tore out and I backed out and came back 4 hours later with my buddies. I was shooting tree sharks and when hit blood and he started pooring. We trailed him through a clear-cut and he was pumping out both sides. We probably trailed him for close to a mile it seemed and never found him.  He eventually clotted up and the blood quit.  Went back the next day and didn't find anything.  I hope he'll make it but man am I sick. This is the only deer I've even drew back on since my buck opening day and too say its a blow to my confidence is an under statement. Just gotta get back at it tho.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
It happens. Sounds typical of a muscle hit, which tend to be non fatal.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Great thread!! Keep the updates coming.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
Richard,

By your profile pic I see your no stranger to Big Bucks, Very nice sir   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©