3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dont be this guy........  (Read 991 times)

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
Dont be this guy........
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
This weekend a hunter was lost overnight in a local hunting area and local S&R was called out to look for him. After spending the night in the woods he walked out the next day. The thing is he relied on his phone GPS to get out that night but spotty service and a dead battery left him clueless and lost. The area is not that big so he couldnt have been more than a mile from a main road or farm at any time.  Just having a 10 dollar ball compass and knowing what way the road ran could have let him walk out and not tie up the sherrif and fire departments for 12 plus hours.........just something to think about for those of you that put all your trust in your cell phone............
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dont be this guy........
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
i fully agree. with all this new technology, basic navigation is a lost skill at its best. even learning how to roughly navigate with out a compass is almost unheard of. i agree with you that everyone should atleast carry a basic compass and atleast some sort of 24hr survival kit...the kit i would say is more needed if in big woods but even hunting the area that i know well i still carry a small survival kit. mainly because i would rather carry the extra 5lbs and have it and not need it than need it and not have it. so far, thankfully, i have yet to use it. but that is unfortunate that so many people rely on cell phones instead of learning the basics and studying the area that they hunt in. that was a very good post and a thought provoking one too.
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Sheesh     :nono:   probably a guy with a sight on his bow lol.

You should definitely know your hunting area well enough to know an escape azimuth
Semper Fidelis

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
Stupid with a fancy gadget is still stupid.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Technology is a killer.  How many store clerks do know that can't make change unless the register tells them what the change is?  How many people do you know who can't look at the answer on their calculator and know the answer can't be right?  How many people do you know that can't read a map, of any kind, but especially a topo map?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Great post! I greatly appreciate technology but always have a old school silva compass in my pack even if in familiar woods. Don't take up much room com paired to the piece of mind
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
If it was a clear night, the North Star would have been as good as a compass, and should have been able to get him to the road at least.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Good post and a nice reminder to be prepared no matter how big the woods is.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
I still carry a good old fashion compass in my pack along with a map of where I'm hunting ...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
When it comes to me carrying my compass " Two is one and one is none"!  You GOT TO TRUST YOUR COMPASS.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
a simple cheap compass and ... a map - even a google map will do.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
I actually choose not to use my gps for navigation (just carry it for blood trailing and grid searches) and rely on my compass for everything. I prefer to do it this way so that i keep my skills sharp and keep learning more. A cell phone doesnt work in most of the places i hunt so noone in my area gets to use a map on a phone.
 Navigation is a perishable skill and the above story is a great reminder of that.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Yep my uncle was in the military and is no longer with us, but his compass is in my backpack. I have found that tracking a deer late at night in the thickets can get you disoriented fairly quickly.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
A compass and a first aid kit should be in everybody's pack.  I don't carry a 'survival kit' because I hunt on private land where I can't walk over a half mile without crossing a 4wheeler trail or dirt road so actually having to spend the night in the woods is pretty unlikely.  I can't say my first aid kit has saved any lives, but it's saved a couple hunts.    ;)  

Matt Toms
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
good post,,,,,, speaking of compasses whats a decent compass to buy?   I bought one at dicks sporting goods that has a magnifying glass and whistle,, seems decent but is there cheap ones that are not reliable????
"Us vs Them"

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
Google Suunto. They make very good compasses in a wide price range.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 04:11:00 AM »
I don't need a compass, just a deck of playing cards.
When lost I just deal out a game of solitare. Pretty soon someone shows up and tells me to play my red ten on the black jack. Then I am no longer lost.  :bigsmyl:
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 04:44:00 AM »
I can relate, I'll admit I got lost once in the woods, because I forgot to pack my compass. It happens. Maybe that happened here as well and he tried to use what he had.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 05:09:00 AM »
Well, that won't be me as I don't own a cell phone and certainly wouldn't be counting on it for a directional aid.
I have 3 compasses on me at all times when afield. Overkill for sure but so what? I like the pin on ball for generally getting around and being orientated. There's one in the cap of my waterproof match container and a third is a very good Silva if a definite bearing has to be followed.
I don't feel overloaded at all.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 05:16:00 AM »
I carry a compass for navigating. I do also have a gps with many waypoints plugged in, but thats only to help me pinpoint a tree for my stand at 5am. Aside from that it's all compass and knowing the lay of the land for me.
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©