3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What glue works on Pro Fin  (Read 560 times)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
What glue works on Pro Fin
« on: October 02, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
Okay, I did my research on arrow finishes and settled on Pro Fin. I love the way it lays down when dipped and looks when finished.  

That said, what glue works on Pro Fin for fletching and nocks?  My research said both Duco and Fletch-Tite Platinum works on Pro Fin.  However, neither one keeps the feathers from falling off.  I also tried thin & thick (gap filling) super glue without success. In addition, I tried roughing up the finish with 220, 320, &/or 400 grit paper without any perceptible difference.  Fletch Tape works for a while then middle lifts and/or shifts to the side (I glue both ends with Platinum).

THE FEATHERS STILL FALL OFF!

If I didn't keep my hair too short to grab, I'd pulled out what little hair I have.

What is your recommendation?
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What glue works on Pro Fin
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 01:35:00 AM »
I like the gorilla glue super glue it has a blue cap can be found at any hardware store. Works for me
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
Walt I've had no problems with Duco. I wipe the shaft and feather base good with lighter fluid and then don't touch either as I fletch.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
I've used the Duco/ProFin combination for years with no problems.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
Duco

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
I don't coat my caps with profin.  No need!  I coat up to the cap and crest over the seam.

I also learned the hard way that fletch tape is actually a lacquer compatible tape.   It does not work on water base!  (or sone other finishes) Which is what I use over caps/crests to get a consistent finish, purely an aesthetics thing, or OCD call it what u will lol.

Lastly it could simply be bad glue though it doesn't sound like it.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
Never used pro-fin but I have yet to see a finish that NPV would not stick to. Hap

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
Duco works for me!   The only time I've ever had problems with the Duco / Profin combo was when the humidity was super high... Sections of the feather would release from the shaft as the jig was removed.
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
Walt been using pro fin for years and don't have any problem with duco.  The platinum I had problems with but not duco.  I hope it all pans out for you great wood arrow sealer.

Offline JJ Hernan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Any glue containing ethyl cyanoacrylate will do fine.  I use carbon express bond archery glue on fletchings and inserts. My car's plastic bumper shroud was cracked by an a$$hole on a parking lot.  Got estimates for over $1200 bucks to replace the whole thing.  Glued it and saved me some money.  It's been holding for over a year now.
Damon Howatt Hunter 58" 50#@28
BlackHawk "Yellow Jacket" 68" 38#@28
Bear Polar 64" 43# & 28
T-Rex 23" with TT BMax 45#@27.5"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Duco has working fine for me too.

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
well i have no experience with pro fin but have yet to find a surface the the gel super glue doesnt stick to...including fingers    :knothead:
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
I use Pro Fin and use Duco for nocks and tape for the feathers. I have had no issues with either one.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Highjacker alert! Where do you guys get Pro-Fin?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
I bought my last gallon direct from the factory, it ran around $75 +/- shipped to Montana.

Everybody,
Thanks for the responses, they are the same as I found through the search feature here.  I received some suggestions from friends and will give a couple of them a try.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Double Post   :dunno:

Walt Francis

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Contact Snag @ Wilderness Custom Arrows Walt he uses Pro Fin.

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
Hey Walt, had the same issues. I really like the Profin(but big$$). I got ahold of Bob Burton at Whispering Winds Arrows, he set me on the right path. He told me the same as AKDAN, he din't dip the whole cap.  I did. Now the caps are yellowing. Took couple years to yellow.  I just had to re-glue some feathers. Way bummer! I have not talked with Bob for a while. I hope he is good. His web site has some old dates on arrow listing.  Thought you may know him, same neck of the woods as you. Good luck.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
Their's no need to if you paint really.  Scuff coats are not fool proof, easy or nessicary!

Like I mentioned I just over coat with a clear gloss to match the sheen on the profin mostly.  Otherwise some of my colors are dull and ugly, it evens out the sheen and duco sticks fine to it. Simple solution to capping paint selection problems.

I buy my profin at a cabinet shop but it costs me a LOT more than 75 a gallon.   I can get it by the quart at a local hardware store for 20-25 I think, it is a quart and quite the rip off but its not a 800 mile round trip drive either at 4+ a gallong in fuel.  As few arrows as I make today paying a little more per quart is justifiable.  

If you do white (or other light colored caps, I prefer yellow on my personal arrows, or light cresting bands) definatly DO NOT overcoat with profin or expect some to a lot of yellowing.  A lot will depend on how many over coats you apply.  more coats, the more the yellow will be visible.  The yellowing on bare wood (no stain) is quite nice on doug fir and POC.   I have yet to go back and try it on ash though I see those days coming near.  

Bob talked me out of a true scuff coat years ago now.   Its a headache that isnt worth the hassle.  Again the waterbased is to even out the sheen and no other purpose, one coat is all I usually need.  I prefer gloss (in all my sealer/paints).  It looks nice and its the hardest of the finishes.

If you can find it, Sherwin williams opex lacquer mixed 60-40 or so for a cap is some good stuff.  I had some but unfortunatly for us up here I have to buy a pallet of one color which turns into two pallets in a hurry after you thin it down.  I cant justify it anymore.  their was a time.

now if you really like fletch tape and/or a really HARD, durable by far the best finish....you should try the 'massey' finish.  you WILL need to overcoat a time or two in clear water based before you can go over your cap/crest area again with the epoxy...but as a sealer and really a skuff coat their is NOTHING better!!!  Its an amazing sealer.  I used it for a couple years and had great luck with it.  I dont like fletch tape as a hole however and stopped using it.  Duco nocks on and the ends of feathers.  I never did try duco'ing feathers on so I cannot say one way or another if it works or not.  I'm sure CA glue would work well with this method if you, like myself, do not prefer tape.

Bewarned if you're a fletch tape user you WILL have issues eventually on profin!!!  I had some non painted all wood profin sealed woodies two years ago and had almost every feather fall off in the cold.  I should have realized my mistake when I started having issues in PA deer hunting.  Mind you it was seriously cold on the bou hunt, Pa was 60's or so and I was loosing one here one their stumping mid day.   Fletch tape IS a lacquer based tape.  it WILL stick to some things.  It works EXTREMELY well on epoxy.   I dont think it was humidity in PA that bit me, it definatly was NOT humidity up here, temps wer pushing -50 with a crazy cold windchill.   I did some research and came up with the lacquer based tape after all this happened.   Fletching arrows over the defroster in the pickup by hand while you try to regain feeling in your extremities while a good sized bou herd pass's by camp is more frustrating than working for free while congress figures things out lol!!! When the wind died, the bou moved, and I stood their featherless....embarssing to say the least lol!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
duco.  I tried fletchtite and it did not work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©