3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Trad Deer!  (Read 3102 times)

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
First Trad Deer!
« on: October 02, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
I was able to get my first deer with a traditional bow yesterday. After 2 years of no success, with opportunities, this was pretty sweet. Not the biggest deer but thankful nonetheless.

The day started pretty nice with me seeing a deer just after sunrise. We had a foggy morning, and while the fog was still lifting, I saw a single deer wandering about 10 yards in front of me. Being that it was a single deer I figured it was a button buck. I passed on a potential shot on that one. Shortly after that I had a buck show up about 6 yards behind me. He was reluctant to take another step into an opening and the brush was thick covering his body so no shot there. A short while later I had 3 deer, all bucks, in the field in front of me. They danced around for a couple minutes before moving over to where my son was at. He didn't get a shot either. So, a great morning seeing deer.

I went back in the afternoon not expecting to see anything. The place I was at is definitely more of a morning spot. Being that it is on the ground all shots are close, most within 10 yards, one shot out to 20. So, I was mainly reading on my phone, enjoying the day, taking videos of birds hanging out in front of me. About 20 minutes before dark I heard a familiar crackle behind me and I turned to see some legs through the same brush I mentioned earlier. This time the buck stuck more than his head out and was walking past the opening that I had to shoot in that direction. I debated whether I wanted to shoot him as he was smaller and it was opening day but when he stopped and started eating in that opening I quickly decided that I was going to shoot.

The next thing I knew I was drawing, I hit my anchor and held for a second to refocus on that spot I wanted to hit. I knew then that it was all over. And then, there was my arrow sticking out of his side right where I was looking. He was probably 10 yards away at most when I shot him. He ran for a bit along the edge of some corn and my son tracked him to where he was. I really couldn't be more thankful. First traditional deer, hunting on the ground, very close, very exciting.

Update: Equipment used, Spirit LB, 53@28, wood arrows with 145 gr Magnus Snuffer Broadheads. Total arrow weight at about 585 grains.

David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Trad Deer!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
Nice buck great shot.Congrats you will remember that for a long time I still remember my first from 1976.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
Congrats and thanks for sharing the hunt!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Congrats on a nice buck.  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
CONGRATS!

Nice deer and great story!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Congrats!
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Congrats!!

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
Congratulations!  Well done.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
AWESOME! WAY TO GO!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
David,

You did good! And 2 years is not bad on the learning curve, took me longer   :knothead:  and some are still at it.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Thanks, all!

John - thanks for the kind words. I'm thankful that we have a pretty tight group of trad shooters in our area which has helped us to get better faster. The hunting part we had been doing a while, so that wasn't so much the issue, just getting good enough with the trad gear, and then settling down to focus during a shot. Shooting 3-D a lot has helped as well. That and having a son that is very skilled to challenge you is the rest of the story.
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
Congrats!!!! That is great!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
Way to go!  That's a fine looking buck!  Bryan Holley builds one of the finest longbows out there.  I love my Spirit bow!  Congratulations on a very memorable hunt!     :clapper:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Awesome

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Congrats!! Great read.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and he bends with his might that his >>--> may go swift and far.

Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Way to go, Congrats!!!!
Tom

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bernie B.:
Way to go!  That's a fine looking buck!  Bryan Holley builds one of the finest longbows out there.  I love my Spirit bow!  Congratulations on a very memorable hunt!      :clapper:  

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin
I agree, Bernie. Definitely underrated, especially considering how inexpensive they are.

Thanks.
David

Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Congrats!  Looks like you did it in some evening stand green Asbell to boot!  That makes it extra traditional!    :thumbsup:
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Great Job...
I think you did the right thing taking the shot.  You just never know when you will get another chance and you made yours count!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
well done!
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic: