3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What does trapping the glass on the limbs mean? How to sharppen Grizzley broadheads?  (Read 428 times)

Offline buffalo53

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi   I saw a reference to the glass or veneers on a JD Berry bow as being trapped, what does that mean? Also, is there a sharpener that works well on Grizzley broadheads?  Thankyou George Hill

Offline GoBow

• Trad Bowhunter
I think trapped refers to the limbs being trapezoid is shape. Wider in the front, narrower on the back.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Trapped can be from the belly side or back side.
It means that the glass has been removed at an angle. Leaving more of the core woods along the edge,showing.

On wood bows that are,backed,with bamboo this is sometime done so there is less bamboo so it doesn't over power the belly wood.

In glass bow there are different benefits and I don't feel qualified to respond.

Most folks use a file and stones on grizzlys but some of the scrapper type will work.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter

This video shows using a file.  I saw a recent post, and the KME broadhead sharpener was the favored method.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Trapping is one way of reducing the draw weight on  limbs that are a bit too heavy as well...a decision needs to be made on narrower belly or bac

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Here is a JD Berry Taipan that illustrates "trapped" from the belly side quite nicely.  Smooooooth...

Great sharpening video also.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline buffalo53

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi  Thank you to all of the above posts. You can certainly count on fellow members to respond unselfishly with great information. To Chromebuck I have a Taipan, but I did not know that the bevel on limbs were called trapping. Thanks again George Hill

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Buffalo:  If you cut a cross section of the limb, it would be trapezoid in shape.  Trapping is slang for shaping the limbs in a trapezoid shape. As others have pointed out, the wider limb may be the back or belly depending on the bowyer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©