3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk sleeping bags  (Read 753 times)

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's talk sleeping bags
« on: October 02, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
I would like to get a sleeping bag for September elk hunting in Colorado. What brand and model would you recommended? Also, what temp rating?
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk sleeping bags
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Backpacking or Base Camp?

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
x2 on what you are looking for? Light for carrying on your back for long distances - Down - hands down!  More finicky and take more maintenance but they are light and small.  

Base camp or shorter hikes into the camp - Synthetic.  Low maintenance and keep your warmish when wet.

Synthetic - look at Wiggy's bags.  Great, great bags and a value.  I've owned and use many different bags and Wiggy's have been the best by far for me.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
A buddy reccomended a High Peak Mt. Rainer to me last year. I carried it through winter and early spring camping/backpacking and have been very impressed. They sell a full line of bags and the price is right. Its a -20 with a breathable waterproof material and all the seams are sealed.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
x2 on Bobby Urban's comment.

For down bags, check out Feathered Friends and Marmot. They aren't cheap but they'll keep you warm. I would highly recommend a good bivy if you are going into the back country as well. And if you are planning on sleeping in it, get used to it at home. A different world and you can spend some uncomfortable nights if you aren't familiar with it.

As for temp ratings, I err on the side of warmer than I need. The last thing I want is to have a chill when I sleep. I have used 15 degree bags in 30 degrees and been cold. Again, I err on the side of warmer. Also look for good draft protection. That makes a world of difference. You can also look at sleeping bag liners which will add some warmth at a cheaper price.
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
If your backpacking- Big Agnes Lost Ranger with a Insulated air core(IAC) pad is a tuff combo to beat.
Truck/Base camping- pretty much what ever you can afford.

Steve

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by stykbow67:
If your backpacking- Big Agnes Lost Ranger with a Insulated air core(IAC) pad is a tuff combo to beat.

This is my set up, and I slept awesome in Wyoming Mountains this past September.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
If you are backpacking like said before down is hard to beat. You should get one for at least 15 deg unless you are a warm sleeper. I have a MontBell 15deg UL super spiral hugger 2 lbs 2 oz carry weight. I love this bag but it is very costly but will last a lifetime with proper care and for me worth every penny. Kelty has a very good priced down bag worth checking out.    Widow

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
I have a Western Mountaineering 15degree badger for packing. I also have a Wiggy's synthetic bag.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Does anyone have experience with the military modular systems
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Think of your sleeping bag as a system whether you are backpacking or car camping.  You want to have something besides the bag insulate you from the dampness of the ground.  That will be a pad or a cot.  Temps. in CO. can vary a lot from 90'f to 10'f.  I would use a 20' bag as a minimum for a Fall hunt but if you are normally cold at night, go to a 0' bag.  You can always open the bag up if you are too warm.  Nothing beats down bags if you pack-in and for warmth but if they get wet, they are useless.  There is a new water-resistant down being used some companies and it gets good reviews but it is the most expensive.  You will want to be sure to get a whole system or you will not be comfortable.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
I have a Marmot 0 degree down bag that has served me well on many trips into the mountains. You might look at the Western Mountaineering bags too.

I think the degree rating is like the ratings for rafts or tents.  A 4 person raft is really for 2 people comfortably. When they say 20 deg. it means you will survive the night if it gets that cold, just not comfortably.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline donalcorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Big Agnes hands down. I also use the Lost Ranger with the IAC pad. The best ever in my mind.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
I am a big fan of the Big Agnes system as well I have a waterproof down Deep Creek, a Lost Ranger, and a Buffalo Park. Sure there are lighter but I really like the pad sleeve as I move around a lot in my sleep. I never wake up NOT on my mattress any more. I used the BAIAC for many years and it is a very comfy pad. I decided to try a Exped downmat and a NeoAir all Season. Can't say either are any more comfortable than the Big Agnes pad even though both are much more expensive.

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Another BA vote from me.  I've got the Lost Ranger.  Love it!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Western Mountaineering or Montbell in bags, don't overlook a good quilt.  As has been mentioned don't overlook the pad.  Thermarest or Exped for pads.  Kelty makes a good down bag on a budget.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
I use 30 and 15 deg down marrmont sleeping bags. I have slept well below freezing in both and kept warm enough.
Levi Bedortha

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »
What Biathlonman said.  Western Mountaineering makes a great bag that you will use your whole life.

For fall in NW Montana, I use an Exped Downmat.  The down part of your bag that you lay on is obviously compressed, and therefor offers no insulation.  So your pad is CRITICAL to how well (warm) you sleep.

Offline khall1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by recurvericky:
Does anyone have experience with the military modular systems
Are you asking about the one with bivy sack?  I have one and used it many time in the past, light and easy to set up.  However, now that i'm getting older I wont use ever again for extended nights.  IMO, having a tent is the best way to go especially in a rain then turning into snow storm as it did on me this year.  As far as a sleeping bag goes, I like down but prefer synthetic just in case it does get wet.  I will agree with others as far as Big Agnes goes, one of my favorites with the IHC sleeping pad.
58" Great Plains-Red River 57#@28
60" Bob Lee-Hunter 60#@28
62" Toelke Whip 57#@28

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
I spent 7 days in Alaska in early September and used my Cabelas Alaskan Guide Bag.  My bag is rated at -20 but I noted in their website they go only have +20, 0, and -40 bags now.  You should be okay with the '0' degree bag in Colorado for Sept. hunting.  While I spent good $$ on the bag, I didn't scrimp on my pads.  I took two pads with me (glad I did that!); a Therm-a-Rest Z pad for the bottom and an Exped DownMat 7.  Between the two pads and the Cabelas bag I was warm and quite comfortable.  Of course this was a fly-out hunt and though we were limited on total weight I'm not sure I could have carried all of this in if I was doing a backpack hunt.  Out of a truck you shouldn't worry much about weight and just buy the best you can.  Good luck.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©