3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Three finger under friendly recurve  (Read 488 times)

Offline arrowit

• Trad Bowhunter
Three finger under friendly recurve
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which recurves are more friendly to shoot three fingers under?  I would like to shoot off the shelf if possible, 29" draw, around a 50lb draw weight.  [email protected]   :archer2:

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Three finger under friendly recurve
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
I believe any recurve can be 3 finger friendly, it just depends on if the bow was tillered for 3 under or split. You can also adjust your nock point.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
I'm no expert, but I'll say a static recurve with even tiller. This is my set up, very quiet and no hand shock.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Split or three under has never entered my mind during a bow purchase. Some have been a bit louder 3 under but thats about it IMO.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
It's a give and take w/ design,

I follow a rule that if one takes a unstrung recurve and set it on a flat surface w/ the limb tips first.You'll see the amount of preset in the bow design.Generally,the more forward the limb tips.The more sensitive the design in reguards to finger pressure.

The orginal Zipper design is extremely forgiven design but many others are far faster.

Offline SactoBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
I just got a Toelke Super Static and had Dan tiller it for 3 under.  This bow is super smooth.  Almost like butter.   :)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
In my opinion, the best recurve made for 3 under is the Dakota Pro Hunter made by Rick Welch.  He shoots 3 under himself, and his bows shoot 3 under with the low nock points normally found only with split finger shooters.  I have a few fine recurves made by bowyers whose names you would recognize, but when it's really important to me, I grab my Dakota.

The only problem is, it's about a year wait to get one.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
ILF  bows have the ability to adjust to the shooter rather than the other way around   :thumbsup:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline SactoBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
McDave,

Are you going to the Maya event?  If so, I'd sure appreciate it if I can try your Dakota.  I'm planning on going to Rick's class next spring.

Thanks.

Bill

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Yes I will be there shooting my Dakota, and you are welcome to try it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline SactoBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
Thanks McDave.

Been meaning to go shoot at Maya.  A couple trad members of the club took pity on me at a Diablo shoot a couple years ago.  I think it was Rick and Bob.

If you know them, ask them about the newbie they helped with the Centaur.   :)

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
Any bowyer can build you a bow for three under. I shoot three under and like to build my bows for three under with even tiller. I also raise my nock at about 1/2" and can shoot both woods and carbons. You just need to tell your bowyer how you would like your bow built. That's what custom is.

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
How would the tiller be different between a spit finger & 3 under ??
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Ordinarily, bows tillered for split have a slight positive tiller, maybe 3/16.  Bows tillered for 3 under have less of a positive tiller, or sometimes have zero tiller.  The reason is that the pulling force is exerted lower on the string for 3 under, putting more force on the lower limb. The objective is for both limbs to recover at the same time.

The thing I don't understand is that for many years I have requested that all the bows I buy to be tillered for 3 under, but the actual nock point required to shoot 3 under has varied from 3/8" to 7/8", based on shooting a bare shaft and tuning for a very slight nock high flight.  My impression is that it's better to be shooting at a 3/8" nock height than a 7/8" nock height, assuming a tuned bare shaft in both cases, but I'm not sure if that's true or not either.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline deertag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 05:32:00 AM »
mcdave,
why would slightly knock high flight be wanted in tuning for 3 under?
just curious.
david

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
My bare shaft tuning method is based on a class I took from Ken Beck of BW Bows some years ago, which he also summarized in the Masters of the Bare Bow series of videos.  Ideally, you would want level bare shaft flight rather than slightly nock high, if you could achieve that.  The problem with level bare shaft flight is that release errors could turn that into nock low arrow flight, resulting in the shaft impacting the shelf.  A compromise is to tune for slight nock high flight, so that minor release errors won't create shelf impact problems.  Slight or even moderate nock high bare shaft arrow flight is easily corrected by the fletching and has very little effect on overall accuracy, whereas shelf impact creates irregular arrow flight.

I didn't mean that slight nock high tuning has any particular significance for 3 under; I think it is probably the optimal result for both 3 under and split bare shaft tuning.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
mcdave,

Your findings in regards to knock height is caused by bow design.Bows w/ a lot of pre-set require a larger or deeper curve(recurve),which makes the limb tips more flimsy than a bow w/ shorter working limb design w/ narrow tips.Grip position also can play a major part as well.

If your bareshaft isn't coming off the bow cleanly.It's likely to be in ones shooting form.Again,some designs are more forgiving than others.

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
I can't tell any performance difference shooting 3 under or split with any of my bows. Maybe I'm just not good enough but whatever the reason, the only difference I find at all is that I get finger pinch shooting split with short recurves. So as far as I'm concerned all bows are 3 under friendly.
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
Paul is right you dont have to tiller for three under. Where is  your tiller at a 10",20" or 28" draw, what matters is where its at when the arrow leaves the string, so it doesnt matter if you are shooting one over or three under.They used to tiller stiffer on the bottom limb for three under by 1/4" or more, whenever I shot one I could feel the bow kick up. Perfect for me is 1/8 to even ,I've shot 3 under since the 60's ....Tim

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
Buy one custom that is tillered for three under.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©