3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: riser crack, should I be worried?  (Read 690 times)

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
riser crack, should I be worried?
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »

Hi all,

well I finally received my stunning new bow. aside from being four months behind and it being built right handed instead of left handed its pretty great.

however... I've noticed a crack near the shelf, it loooooks like it might just be the glass, but should I be worried about this?

I really hope not, as I've given it to my dad, (due to not being able to shoot it on account of the wrong hand build)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: riser crack, should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
There are soooo many reasons in your post that would cause me to ask for a refund.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
X2...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
Bad accident waiting to happen.... unstring it and return it for a refund like yesterday...
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
That is a pretty common location for a crack. It needs to be fixed or it will spread. I would do like others have suggested-get a refund.

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
If it came with a crack and it was built wrong handed it would be going back for a refund in either case.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
You need to send it back and have your bowyer build you a new riser.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Built for the wrong hand and shipped cracked?! You definitely need to get a refund and I were you, I would take my business elsewhere.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
yeah I unafraid that was the case. this particular bowyer has been around a long time and had a great reputation but this was pretty much his last effort. it was a nightmare getting it done and I'm in Australia so it will be 100 just to get it back, further more,my Dad has taken some big hits lately and he was so happy when I gave him this one I just don't want to tell him it's a dud. Is it really screwed or is there a chance I can salvage it, possibly locally?
I don't even know, I'm trying to be positive but it's getting harder and harder...

Offline jsparky93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
I think I would be returning it for a refund & find another bowyer.

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
update. Spoke to the bowyer, could have happened in the post, everything is insured, hopefully we can sort it out... lucky I have a spot on big Jim's list coming up if it ends up being a refund job as I don't think the bowyer wants to make any more...

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 03:23:00 AM »
it looks like a wood issue honestly.   Some woods are more natorious for this than others.  It really looks like the crack is following the heartwood/sapwood line which likely spells trouble!  

Its not the crack I'm used to seeing (right in the corner where the shelf-site window meet, and I have yet to have a good answer for this problem also)!   I've had a number of higher end bows crack in that corner both front and/or back on the bow, all hairlines on both bows from well known bowyers and small time boywers.  Not one has had a good explination for it.  One refunded 2 bows on order and the third that cracked stating I would NEVER be happy, which was highly dissappointing, others I picked up used and they either developed the crack (on newer bows) or had it on older ones.    

If that crack is following the grain it could likely be a bad failure in the making.   It likely didnt happen at the post office unless your postal worker went...well, postal and wrapped it around something.  

If you can open it up, you could force thin epoxy or ca glue down it...and pin it on either end of the crack to stop it from moving.   but it doesnt resolve a potential inner flaw in the wood.  the best answer is to send it back or hang it up on the wall.

In the end, I wouldnt blame a bowyer for this one by the picture alone, atleast in my eyes, that crack hits the heartwood/sapwood area and follows it.  bowyers are good, but they're not miracle workers  ;) .

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by jsparky93:
I think I would be returning it for a refund & find another bowyer.
I agree with this! X2

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
It doesn't crack unless there is stress . If there is stress it will crack more !  If it cracks more..........
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
The simple answer is: Yes!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Dead, that's not entirely true.   Dealing with a natural material theirs plenty of hidden problems.     Action wood or some other man made composite is almost impervious to these problems.  If an synthetic wood look alike cracked than I would agree its stress.      Wood arrows are a good example at hidden treasures.    How often during initial straightening do we bust shafts..... For me it's expected anymore!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
If you cannot come up with another solution try a wicking super glue such as Loctite 420...it will fix the immediate issue and hopefully stop any further problem

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
I don't like the fact that it's cracking along the sapwood line.  Might indicate that the wood was not totally dry and is drying under the finish.  Get some Loctite 420 and fill the crack.  Let it wick in until it's full, give it a day to dry and sand smooth.  If your careful, you may not need to refinish the riser.

Then keep a close eye on it.

Not the perfect solution but it may do the trick.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
I bought a used bow that had a hidden crack on the side of the riser at the shelf. It barely peeked out from under the shelf leather. It was micro but bothered me. I contacted the bowyer and he agreed to look at it and I was willing to pay for the repair and even a new riser if necessary. He received the bow and kept it for a few months as he tried to fit the time into his busy schedule to see what he could do.

He repaired the crack and sent the refinished riser back to me good as new.

The bow is around 20 years old. The bowyer is a phenomenal man and craftsman. He accepted a bow he had made nearly two decades ago and fixed it at no charge. He didn't want return shipping charges either. It was not his craftsmanship that failed, it was obviously the wood, as could be expected with age and use. I am still trying to find a way to repay him. I'll eventually think of something, but I cannot say enough about this bowyer as a craftsman or as a human being.

I am still floored and humbled at what he did for me.

Return your bow and get a refund.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
That is ziricote and that is not a sap line. Unfortunately a common place to have a crack. You can try to wick some thin supper glue in there, but it is helpful if it were sanded above and below so the air can escape and to facilitate the sipping action. Unfortunately it is messy. Not likely it will kill the riser (unless it is of a heavier draw weight), but very likely you may loose a chunk off of the shelf. If you can get a good thin cyano glue penetration and then seal the outside (even with the glue itself) It may never give you another problem.

To quote a famous bowyers words "without superglue and touch up, I would quit building bows" or something like that.

If it was exposed to some severe climate changes during shipping, it could be the culprit. Cracks that exist during the spraying process are obvious and Identify ably so.

BigJIm
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©