3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nebraska whitetail?  (Read 215 times)

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
Nebraska whitetail?
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:58:00 AM »
I know it might sound weird to many of you, but I'd really like to sit in a treestand and kill a whitetail buck.  Pretty new to it, outside of reading all of the stories and such from you guys.  I've only killed a couple whitetail with a lever action when I was a kid, so this is a whole new ball game for me.
 Elk and big mountains are what I know.  Either way, I am wondering if anyone can help me with a lead to a decent place to spend a few days on stand in Nebraska?  Not really picky on the animal, just want to have a good experience.  Anyone out there that could help me with feasibility, location, etc? late October, early November is best.  More than willing to do my homework, set a stand, all that stuff.  But any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nebraska whitetail?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
Why not stay in the Cowboy state? In Buffalo, you can hunt the Vets Home; a section that is full of whitetails and sometimes turkeys, and it is bowhunting only. If you are there mid week, you will probably not see another hunter. Also, there is a school section along Rock Cr that has a bunch of whitetails, and the creek bottoms at the Bud Love elk wintering ground has some nice whitetails.
Bates Cr. around Casper has a good whitetail population; don't know about getting permission there, though.
And, there is always the Black Hills; lots of whitetails there.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
As a non-resident, contact the state's D.N.R. and speak to a Wildlife Biologist then possibly the individual Biologist over the area you choose to hunt. They know a lot and I've always found them willing to help.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
I've taken a couple of nice WT in the Sundance area. Hap

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Honestly, the only reason for not going to buffalo is the drive!  Though beautiful, its a solid-four to five hours to hunting.  I do know some spots on the cheyenne river over between wright and moorcroft that I had considered.  However, 'd like to branch out and hunt another state, for fun if nothing else.  I will likely be up there to get a whitetail, you're direction centaur.  thanks for the suggestion, maybe just need a bit of prodding.  

thanks for the responses!  Dan
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Straightshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
There are a lot of good options for Big Red whitetails.  You can purchase permits over the counter and there is tons of good public land along with walk in access on private ground.  (Maps are available for ground enrolled in that program.)  The walk in properties get little use in a lot of areas.

With the drought that we went through last year, numbers are down.  The worst hit seems to be northeast.  It doesn't seem so bad here in the southeast corner of the state.  I've heard that the areas around McCook in the southwest portion are the best bet.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
If you want to pm your address I would be happy to send you some info from the game commission. I have done this for other TG'ers in the past. As Dan said there is some really good whitetail hunting in the SW part of the state with quit a bit of public and WIHA ground to rome around on.

Steve

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
Sure are some nice whitetails in Wyoming!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©