3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: '59 custom kodiak replica or Bear '59 kodiak  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Riegel

• Trad Bowhunter
'59 custom kodiak replica or Bear '59 kodiak
« on: October 03, 2013, 05:12:00 AM »
Well I have been thinking about getting a new bow and the '59 kodiak really catches my eye. I wanted a custom but am also considering the new bear kodiak replica. I was wondering what your alls thoughts were about custom kodiak replicas and the new replica bear has introduced? Are there any particular bowyers that make an outstanding 59 replica that I should consider? How does the bear kodiak shoot?

Thanks, Josh.
Hoyt Dorardo 50#
'61 Bear Kodiak 45#

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: '59 custom kodiak replica or Bear '59 kodiak
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
Here's a custom on the classifieds that's made by John McCullough.  He's one of the top bowyers out there and I've got a Super Shrew that he built when he was making bows for Ron LaClair. He was also making a Grayling Spirit 59 copy for Ron that was very smooth and fast. I believe his 59'er model that he's making under his own name is similar.  

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=201;t=000060
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
I had Vintage Works build me a 59 Hybrid,2 1/2 years ago and have been super pleased with it.The bad news is,word got out and they are have a much longer wait time now and prices have steadily increased due to demand.Really a great bow.

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
I really like the Holmmade Kodiak.  Not an exact copy but more of an inspired by custom.   Little details are upgraded like the shelf and sight Window are radiused for better arrow clearance and his grip fit like a glove.   The original grips aren't nearly as sweet.   I handled both the new 59 and chads bow and it was night and day.   I say get an original 59 if you want nostalgia.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline Riegel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
sloaf, when you say night and day difference, do you mean the custom you had built is a lot better than the new bear '59 or vice versa?
Hoyt Dorardo 50#
'61 Bear Kodiak 45#

Offline Riegel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
sloaf, when you say night and day difference, do you mean the custom you had built is a lot better than the new bear '59 or vice versa?
Hoyt Dorardo 50#
'61 Bear Kodiak 45#

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Ed Holcomb makes the best 59er in my opinion.
I like the new Bear replica, but the Holcomb shoots better.
Bad thing is, the Holcomb is harder to come by as he only makes a few every year. I have his home number if anyone is interested.
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
Ed Holcomb X2

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
I have shot Multiple ones.  The above mentioned bows are great.  I also have a 60 Kodiak and love it.

John McDonald makes a Great 59 replica at Big River Bows also.  He does not have a website but you could call him.  His wait times are generally low and his Craftmanship is Great.  You will find his prices very reasonable.

If you are not picky about looks, or specifics, I would say wait until something comes up with your specs on the classifieds.  

Either way, Its a great design.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Prices are down considerably on the originals...I have 4 1960 Kodiaks and am hunting right now with the one that is in the worst condition...it is as fast and smooth as any of the fifteen or so bows I  own...just some food for thought...the other thing to consider if you like longer recurves is that both the original 59 and 60 were made in 64 inch length...60's are tough to find, 59's are not

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
One thing that needs to be clarified about the originals has to do with grip size...Wade Philips once posted a PIC of 10 1960 Kodiak he owns and the differences in grip and limb configuration are considerable...factory production had a slightly different flavour 50 plus years ago

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
All Good  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
I just put this one by John McDonald in the classifieds.  I haven't shot a 59 or replica that I didn't like.  It is a very good basic design.

Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Holcomb. Fuzzy makes a great bow
Dan Breen

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Riegel,

Just sent you a PM. I have a new Holcomb 59er 49# at 28" for sale if you are interested. Let me know.

I have one from McCullough and although its a shooter, the limbs are developing cloudy spots.

The one from Vintage works is nice also. Nice finish, and very stable shooters.

The fit finish and performance from the Holcomb is outstanding.

You have three good choices.

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Haven't been on in a while.  What I noticed about the new 59 was the grip was small and not shaped to the standard a good custom has.    Basically most stock grips lack a little finess unless your talking about a widow stock grip which hangs with the custom bowyers.  Bear recently greatly improved there production quality but it's still not up to snuff to get my money.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline Bryan Korte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I've owned a Vintage Works 59. Fit and finish was fabulous and it was just a beautiful bow. I own a new Bear 59 now. Love the way it shoots. Like the grip on it. The glass is nice and shiny with no streaks or lines. Bear did it right on this one. Reminds me of all the nice old Bears from the 60's and 70's. I'd buy either of these bows in a heart beat.
Any day above ground is a good day!

Offline jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
I have a vintage 59 Kodiak RH that I can no longer shoot due to shoulder pain and a new Gainesville 59 in left hand.  They shoot and feel quite similiar.  What the fellows at the Bear booth told me is that each grip and limb tip varies a bit due to individual bowyers.  I have been told that you should replace the limb tips on the vintage 59's if you plan on shooting them much.  The new 59's are great but if you want vintage consider a 1960, no problems with the tips and a very similiar design.   Jim
'59 Kodiak 45# Gainesville 60" LH
Jim Hoker Woodspirit Bows 60#, 55#, 48#
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
X3 on the Holcombs....I own 3...so does my shooting buddy. They re super performers and tremendous execution. If I could figure out how to post some pics, I would....jackdaw
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
I have shot both the replicas, the original, and the current Bear 59.  I personally think that the new Bear 59 has been equal or better shooting and wel built(except for the leather grip). Given that I would personally lean towards the new Bear for holding value, and because it's a Bear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©