3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recommendations--time to upgrade my tree security  (Read 329 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Recommendations--time to upgrade my tree security
« on: October 03, 2013, 07:03:00 AM »
Okay, I'm not as young (or as dumb) as I used to be and probably could use a bit more security in the tree.  I'm not telling what I've usd for the past 40 years (don't want to hear the flack), but I will admit it was woefully inadequate. I already know a full body harness would drive me nuts, but I might step up to a climbing harness used in conjuction with a home-made "lineman's belt", i.e. climbing rope, ascender, carabiner. It's just that it looks like all climbing harnesses attach in the front, I'd prefer the back. I think I'd really like a simple stout belt with 'D' rings on the side, but I know the danger there is getting upside down.  Reasonable alternatives please, my old ar*e may depend on it. Pics are helpful...I'm still a little slow on the uptake, but some of the stuff these days looks like it came from the "kinky" store.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recommendations--time to upgrade my tree security
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
-look at rock climber harnesses. Very lightweight, easy to put on, keeps you upright if you fall, not expensive, available in dark colours.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
I use the hunter safety system vest with the webbing sewed to the vest.  Every setup has a climbing rope/ Prussik with a screw eye attached to the base of the tree.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by The Night Stalker:
I use the hunter safety system vest with the webbing sewed to the vest.  Every setup has a climbing rope/ Prussik with a screw eye attached to the base of the tree.
X2, I have their cheapest model and it's actually very comfortable! I received some professional training at work because we work aloft sometimes, the system you described is about a millimeter up the list from wearing nothing at all! The vest on the HSS kind of keeps all the webbing organized so it doesn't drive you nuts!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I would second the climbing harness. You can get a good one pretty cheap.  If you are interested in a combo stand and harness, you could go with one of these:

http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=134

This is my stand and harness.  I love it.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
I like my Muddy Treestand Harness w/linemans belt.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
X3 on the hunter's safety system vest here.  It's so comfortable you won't even know you have it on.  Couple that with one of their lifelines which you can leave connected to the tree all the time, and you are secure from ground to stand and back.  I don't like using a lineman's belt - I find it to be a hassle.  the lifeline is the best safety investment I ever made.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
Hunters Safety System or eat of the Pants.  Both good annd safe.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
The safety line you use is just as important as your harness. They make a shock cord that cushions your fall instead of jerking you to a stop. using a climbing belt with D rings for setting a stand is a good idea if its used properly, but falling from a stand with it will do a hell of a lot more damage to you than hanging upside down..... it can break your back and paralyze you for life.

Either use an approved safety harness and get used to it, or stay out of a tree stand is my opinion.

If you feel i'm giving you some flack, so be it. archers die, or get seriously injured every year falling out of trees.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
The safety line you use is just as important as your harness. They make a shock cord that cushions your fall instead of jerking you to a stop. using a climbing belt with D rings for setting a stand is a good idea if its used properly, but falling from a stand with it will do a hell of a lot more damage to you than hanging upside down..... it can break your back and paralyze you for life.

Either use an approved safety harness and get used to it, or stay out of a tree stand is my opinion.

If you feel i'm giving you some flack, so be it. archers die, or get seriously injured every year falling out of trees.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Harnesses are not bad or at all. I need to upgrade mine as I know improvements have been made in the past few years. They are not in the way, awkward or noisy, there is really no reason not to wear one.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Hunter Safety System vest can be a little much if you wear it on the way to stand in warm weather. The Tree Spider or Muddy harness are cooler and less cumbersome. TonyZ.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by EHK:
......Couple that with one of their lifelines which you can leave connected to the tree all the time, and you are secure from ground to stand and back.  I don't like using a lineman's belt - I find it to be a hassle.  the lifeline is the best safety investment I ever made.
X2 on the safety/life line and some type of harness. I bought one(Muddy Outdoors safety line, $29.99) and it's great. Very simple and hassle-free once fixed to the tree. I use a lineman's belt to attach climbing sticks and loc-on type stands to the tree.

I have a wife and three teenage kids and I don't intend to leave her/them spouseless or fatherless, at least not if I can help it. Like Kirk said, if you can't, or won't, use a harness, then hunt from the ground.   :nono:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
This is my first year wearing a harness I hunted 30 years with a simple one piece belt if I used anything. I bought a muddy and it is light simple and most of all cool. It's hot here in Ga. I really like it when hanging loc on stands. I don't use the tree strap I use the rope with the prussic knot for linemans belt and for the tether works great.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
I bought a Big Game harness like this one:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/412421/big-game-ironhide-treestand-safety-harness-epic-camo

I got it on sale at Menards for $37.95. It is cool, comfortable and secure, not to mention cheap. I broke one of the plastic buckles on my out of date HSS vest, so I thought I'd give this one a try. I think I like it batter than the HSS, and it comes with the lineman's belt and tree strap. The only negative is it only came with one carabiner, so I had to add one for use with the lineman's belt...pretty insignificant since I have several of them already.

BTW: I am with Kirk 100 percent on this topic. For the few dollars it costs to be safe, it is extremely foolish to do otherwise. I feel way more comfortable in my safety harness than I would in a full body cast...or a casket.   :readit:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©