3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ThermaCell Tip  (Read 850 times)

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ThermaCell Tip
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Great tip, I'm definately going to give it a try.  I have also had a couple different hunting buddies tell me they soak the used pads with doe urine or doe in heat and fire it up and put it out in front of their stands on a stump or log and light it up and let the wind currents work.  I haven't tried this yet but am going to try this fall when we get closer to the rut.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
Caligator,  Yeah after I posted that I went back and reread your post and noted that you were in a blind.  Must have been just a weird wind current or something.   I need to read more carefully before I post.

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
I hate the loud click of starting it also. I have found that if you turn it on and let it run a few seconds before clicking the button it will fire up on just one click. Better to get a little gas going first I guess.

Offline deertag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
i can definately smell mine, so i figured the deer can too.  but either way, its half can of off, or thermacell, or blood transfusion. the last week they have been thick.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
I'd like to know the butane refill trick also please.......
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline seabound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Refilling thermacell butane cartridges -    

Thanks for the other tips as well, love the thermacell!
The only physical manifestation of Zen is archery

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
Another tip is don't forget the back up cannister of butane!  :banghead:  You can tell how good it WAS working, before the butane runs out!
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
Good tip

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
I will try that. It always happens to me that way. TNX!
SWA Spyder

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
In south Louisiana before a trip, you check your Thermo before your weapons, LOL.

Re the click, had good success letting gas flow as Lowrider mentioned, plus always wrap it up with jacket, place inside jacket while wearing, or inside backpack, anything to muffle the click. I find the noise level acceptable like that.

Another thing, I drilled a hole at bottom and attached a lanyard, and usually tie off to tree, or stand, whatever, to keep from dropping. Also have used Velcro on Thermo and stand, keeps unit level as suggested.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Kevin Lawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Best tips I can give from my experience is to learn how to refill the canisters and break the pads in half or quarters depending on how long your hunt will be.

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 02:06:00 AM »
I just had an 8 point buck wind my Thermacell last Friday from about 25 yards. I hunt the same spot from the ground all the time and deer walk within 25 yards. Last Friday was the first time I tried the Thermacell and I believe deer can smell it.  I have read where others have had similar problems so they switched to using the Fresh Earth scent Thermacell pads. So I bought some today and I'm going to give it a try. - Good luck everyone
'Nothing's forgotten... nothing's ever forgotten' - Robin of Sherwood

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
I love the smell of thermacell in the morning, smells like victory!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
Is the issue of deer scenting really the thermacell? The warm oder rises and at least carries it self away a little before descending cooled.

The thought that the deer would smell it before us is kind of lame. Use all the scent killer you want...I do too. They will still smell us first. Maybe they won't be alarmed...or if they figure you are still there, they will be.
bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
I don't think the deer are more afraid of your Thermacell than they are you.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
Yeah, if a deer's smelled the Thermacell, it's smelled me too. I don't go all out with the scent control. I try to use the wind at all advantages. I've gotten to where I check the weather sites for prevailing wind direction to decide where to go and how to approach.

Some scents confuse them. Some downright set off the alarm.

Gonna be off the next few days after this evening. I'll try the refill tip guys and gals. Thanks for the heads up.

Bud

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
Some good tips.  I didn't hunt with mine the tree days I got out this last week.  Constant mosquito action in the evening, but at least I killed something in the hot humid weather.  

I always run out of pads before the butane. I will have to try the pad and off trick and see how that works.

I like the idea of pads and scent also.  May have to give that a try when the bugs are gone.  

One thing I have done for a long time is to carry a little zip lock plastic bag like the ones you get small archery items in like strike plates and such. They are just a little larger than a pad.  I put my partly used pads in them to keep them from drying out if I don't use them all the way up. I just tuck them back in the pocket with my unopened pads. I still have left over butane when doing this.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by southernarcher:
Hey frank, are you just using the cans of butane to refill?

Also I haven't had deer spook from it. But, I would guessit is just a matter of time until they associate the smell with danger. In most cases though if they can smell the thermacell, they can smell you.
Yes but you have to find the ones that still come with all the different tips so you can get the right one. The universal one most cans have now won't work.

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
I remember there being a Youtube video showing how to make a canister refillable.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
The two I watched said to cut or file a small V groove in the refill canister spout/tube so it works with the empty to-be-refilled canister.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©