3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in the rain  (Read 423 times)

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting in the rain
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
Ok guys this is my first season trad and I am 3 days into the season.  This morning it was raining when I went out.  What do you guys do to keep your arrow fletches dry?  Thanks.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in the rain
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
Raptor Archery makes a side quiver that is in my opinion the best quiver on the market. One of the features of this side quiver, which I rarely use since I hunt in California, is a fleece sock that covers the fletchings and keeps them dry. Ted works and hunt the Pacific Northwest, so he specifically designed the quiver to hunt in the rain. It also has a couple of small holes at the bottom of the quiver that allows the water to pour through in the event of serious rain.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Bow season's too long to hunt in the rain. I wait 'til it ain't raining to go bowhunting. Although sometimes I'll hunt in a very, very light mist. Besides, if it's raining very much, it's very hard to follow a blood trail.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
I do not hunt when it is raining...too much chance of losing a less than perfect blood trail...and no worries about wet gear

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
The plastic bag a typical newspaper comes in w/a rubber band around the top over my quiver works well to cover the four or five arrows I routinely take hunting.  

Many choices and variations of similar will work just fine.

Kris

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
I treat my feathers prior to season and use a Safari Tuff quiver with fetching cover. If your arrows are tuned well it wont matter if the one on the bow is wet. I have shot plenty of deer in the rain and found them.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Condoms........ They work great.

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
I do not hunt when it is raining...too much chance of losing a less than perfect blood trail...and no worries about wet gear

DDave
If you live in the Pacific Northwest and choose to not hunt in the rain, you are in effect choosing not to hunt.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
I hunt rain or shine-in fact hunting pigs in a storm is ideal-'cause you can find them sleeping in their beds. I use a home made tube quiver to keep fletching dry.   :archer2:

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
I have more than 132 days to bowhunt. I haven't purposely bow hunted in the rain for years.

I have been caught in the rain and in 1982 I shot a Doe during and afternoon hunt and it started to rain. Luckily I saw a flash of white about 100 yards out from the shot and that's where I found the Doe less than 30 minutes later.

What I remember more about that hunt was how difficult it was to get an adult Doe in the back of my blazer solo. Like a buckskin bag full of 120 pounds of jello!

Despite my bias against hunting in the rain I have to admit that the vast majority of my kills have been recovered in sight of the shot with no blood trail needed. I would hunt in the rain if on a NR hunt with limited time.

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I use a water proof powder from 3rivers. I got the big jug of it and have been using it for years. It keeps my fletchings dry in all but a huge downpour while on stand. Sometimes ill use a plastic bag to get there. But the powder seems to work most of the time.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Fletch Dry. Had about a 10 minute rain the other evening and the drops just rolled off my fletchings.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/feather-dri+water+repellent+powder_i5086_baseitem.html
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
as stated there are many options...one more is gerber bottle bags...just slip them on over the fletch and push the nock thru the bottom to hold them on.

i dont recomend them if ur still hunting or stalking...the brush will pull them off...they do work good in a stand.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
I like the idea of using a news paper bag.  I may just throw one in my hunting bag just in case.  I don't like hunting in rain but my best hunting (and biggest bucks) have been right after the rain stops.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
The fleece socks on the raptor and chief style side quivers will mash those feathers flat!

If you have a side quiver, a simple foam plug with notches will hold the feathers seperate like in a bow quiver.  I forgot to add the how lol, in case you're scratching your melon over this, shove the plug in the open end of the chief or simliar quiver.  The notches are along the outer edge of plug.   I dont use mine for roving/small game opting out for a backquiver.  

Rain and stain if you can find it works. (payless)

As does baby bottle liners.  If you're stalking flip them around so the bottom of th eliner is on the leading edge of the feather, works good.  You can add a rubber band if needed.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
seran wrap and the little rubber bands girls use to hold braids together (buy at and drug store).  wrap a piece around each arrow and use the rubber bands to hold it on. when ready to shoot just pull the seran warp off and leav the rubber band (they are small thin and wont hurt anything). One roll of seran wrap last a really long time!
  Even when im on stand in the rain I pull the wrap off my knocked arrow and still pay the seran wrap over the fletching loosely to keep my knocked arrow dry.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
All that stuff isn't needed if you have tuned your arrows right. Wet feathers don't affect my set up at all.
lll

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
Bow season's too long to hunt in the rain. I wait 'til it ain't raining to go bowhunting. Although sometimes I'll hunt in a very, very light mist. Besides, if it's raining very much, it's very hard to follow a blood trail.
X2    :thumbsup:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Personally I do not hunt in the rain. It;s just too risky to lose the all important blood trail. Why take the risk?
Make a life, not a living

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
I love hunting in the rain. It's the best time to stalk because the leaves are quiet. As for keeping fletching dry I've had pretty good luck with a homemade fletching cover made out of a ziplock back.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©