3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little early success in IL  (Read 696 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A little early success in IL
« on: October 03, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
I had a few minutes last evening to slip into a little woodlot near home. There had been a drizzle all day which made the woods really quiet. I grabbed my cheap little stool and my new to me Talltines and slipped out with about an hour plus left in the day. I knew where a few white oaks were dropping their wares and the deer were hoovering them up.

I am 2 weeks back from the elk hunt of my life. It was a great experience and I dogged a herd bull all week. I finally got him alone from his cows as he was chasing off a satellite bull the last day. I thought I made a perfect shot: up until my Doug fir arrow clipped a little sapling I didn't account for and the Ace standard slammed directly into his shoulder bone. A loud crack and heartbreak for this bowhunter...and a 1.5 mile track job, robbed by darkness. The next day instead of hiking down the mountain to my truck with the bull of my dreams, I was back up top on hands and knees looking for a bull I knew to be not dead but not healthy either. It was a lost cause no matter the 12 hours I had into the search. It was then a long hike out and a long 18 hour drive home, heartbroken. I still am. But even though I can return in October with another weapon I notched my tag with tears in my eyes when I got truckside. Unit 7 WY tag be damned. My elk is on the mountain somewhere I hope keeping the orbit bulls off his cows.

*My healthy bull day two of my hunt. What a stud.

Almost a cruel punishment, or a reward depending the view, I found last years shed at a wallow. I got to bring something home to my little girl who really wanted an elk. Greedily, I passed 10 different cows and 4 orbit bulls at ranges that are obscene. I didn't tell her about those.

*Elk shed is bigger than her.

After returning home these two weeks I have received so much love from my family knowing what those animals mean to me and so much encouragement from my friends (many of them Tradgangers). I want to say thanks as a man and fellow bowhunter.

With that late last week I decided to quit feeling sorry for myself. Quit wallowing in my failures and think about the future. I started shooting again and it happened: I forgave myself and that damn sapling. I decided I was a bowhunter and that the love I have for this way of life is rivaled only by my love of God, family, and country.  Time to get on with it.

Fast forward to yesterday. I short still hunt to clear my head from work and life. It was a "soul walk" as my wife would say. As I set my little cheap stool against a blowdown to wait out a bit of drizzle I had a feeling of peace wash over me. I knew what was going to happen before that first deer started crunching acorns. When I saw the family group emerge from the thicket I eased off my stool and tip-toeed in. The first deer in range, 20 yards or so, was a yearling doe. I figured it was time to start collecting some venison and picked a spot on her right side. Quickly the arrow was away but the crack I heard brought back a hauntingly familiar memory, albeit for a short time. She began a death run and crashed in site, sending the rest scrambling back to the thicket beyond.

When I got to her I realized the crack was offside shoulder, and that my shot was good. No sapling, no drama, no heartbreak. As I thanked God I realized the albatross was lifted, I was whole again, washed in the feeling of success that brings me back time and time again to this single string weapon that I love. It sure does make things better, anyway. I won't forget my bull or the feeling of losing something so incredibly difficult to obtain. It will always be there. But this little yearling will always be remembered as a symbol of the recovery I needed to move on. For that I will be forever indebted!

Mike Davenport

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little early success in IL
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Way to go, Mike...

Great story.

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
Good for you congrats

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
In archery, it seems that.. 'if it can go wrong it will' Very humbling.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Big Mike, I feel for you.  I know it did not matter to you if it was a giant bull or a little cow, they all get the same treatment and respect.  Good luck buddy    :thumbsup:

Offline Douglas Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
Enjoyed your story and feel your heartbreak but glad to see you know how to keep trucking along. Great job on getting a deer.   :thumbsup:
'72 Bear Kodiak Hunter 60"-53#@28"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Elk hunting gets into a mans heart and soul like nothing else can.   I'm awfully glad you experienced the highs - and seeing you deal with the lows in a way that makes me glad to call you friend and to share a camp with you anywhere anytime Mike.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Hey Mike, sorry your elk hunt didn't have a happier ending.  Congrats on your redemption deer though...  Have a great season.
Joe

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
Great job and story. I really enjoy your threads.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Great recovery hunt!!!
Sorry the elk didn't end up the way you wanted.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
Congrats!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
great shot on the Doe Mike. Congrats!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Thank you gents. HOPE springs eternal as they say...speaking of: I get "her" the rest of the month. Wonder what help she can be to my continued recovery    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
 :bigsmyl:  
X2
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Way to go, congrats.    :thumbsup:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Excellent, Mike!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Way to go on the doe, Mike! Sorry about the elk. I have been elk hunting 3 times and never been able to get in position to pull the string back. I want to go again someday and fill an elk tag myself.

And good luck with Hope! She is a beauty and sweet shooter.

Congrats again, brother!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©