3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to traditional archery  (Read 284 times)

Offline Evy

• Trad Bowhunter
New to traditional archery
« on: October 05, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
Im looking for a low priced ($100-$300) longbow for a lefty, my draw weight is about 29 and Im leaning to lighter draw weight around 30lb to help with form. I would like a bow with an arrow rest. What would you suggest?

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to traditional archery
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
Buy a bow from Mike at Maddog bows. He makes a nice custom in your price range. I just bought one for my wife at 35 lbs. Lefties are hard to come by from what I understand. Do you mean an elevated rest? If so I'm sure I have any advice there but I will say as a beginner I think you would have an easier time learning to shoot off the shelf.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Evy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
Thanks victoryhunter. Im not opposed to learning to shoot off the shelf but I thought It may be easier with an arrow rest. I very well could be wrong because Im a beginner  ;)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
Not sure Maddog's bows are made for shooting with a rest but he makes one heck of a bow. Call him and ask.

You could also put an request here in the classifieds but you'll need to become a contributor to access them. Shooting with a rest made me think of older Bears immediately. There's a 1966 Bear Grizzly in the classifieds now that would fit your requirements except the weight is more than 30.

Shooting off the shelf is not as difficult as you might think. A crowned riser shelf is helpful. Some of the older bows have long flat shelves and seems they were made for shooting with attached rests.

For your price range and weight you may want to contact Mike Ballenger of 7 lakes Longbows. He can make you a bow for $250. He is also a sponsor and is wonderful to work with. I have two of his bows. One is a Light Night I bought for my father. (So, actually Dad has it now  ;)  )

http://www.7lakeslongbows.com/Light-Night.html

I'm sure as the day progresses you'll have many more replies. Read them all carefully but know this, anyone that another member here recommends as a source for your new bow that would be made for you has likely had a very good experience with the bow/bowyer he/she recommends. Take your time and choose what's right for you. You have lots of options.

Welcome aboard. Again  ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
well looky here another shooter from Plymouth, Mass.  

I'll PM you I have alot of info for ya.
"Us vs Them"

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
Welcome to Tradgang.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
welcome to the Best place on the net   :campfire:    :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum!!!
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
while i think it's good to use a light draw weight for yer first trad bow, there is such a thing as going too light.  considering your age and activities, i would recommend a bow holding weight in the high 30's to perhaps low 40's at your draw length.  also, consider that if your draw length is at or approaching 29", maybe it isn't - this can fluctuate for a newbie.  if it is on the longer side, any style of trad bow - longbow or recurve - should be of a length commensurate with your draw length.

almost all trad bows will have a shelf rest.  an elevated rest can be used with a recurve, if need be, but i would recommend using a shelf rest as you want both your arrow and bow hand as close to one another as possible.

if you haven't done so yet, perhaps this article will help ...

trad archery for bowhunters
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jeremy Rash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
I'd recommend Legends Bows Cyclone! Awesome great shooting bows and its a take down! Little bit more money but worth every penny
Jeremy Rash

Offline Evy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys!  :)

Offline Evy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
while i think it's good to use a light draw weight for yer first trad bow, there is such a thing as going too light.  considering your age and activities, i would recommend a bow holding weight in the high 30's to perhaps low 40's at your draw length.  also, consider that if your draw length is at or approaching 29", maybe it isn't - this can fluctuate for a newbie.  if it is on the longer side, any style of trad bow - longbow or recurve - should be of a length commensurate with your draw length.

almost all trad bows will have a shelf rest.  an elevated rest can be used with a recurve, if need be, but i would recommend using a shelf rest as you want both your arrow and bow hand as close to one another as possible.

if you haven't done so yet, perhaps this article will help ...

trad archery for bowhunters  
The recurve that I first bought had a plunger with a rest for veined and feathered fletching. The idea of shooting off the shelf sounds attractive to me and ill have to try it.  :)

Offline Evy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Im going to go to my local shop and see if I can get some 30lb limbs for the takedown recurve that I have. The recurve is 45lbs and Im seeking a low lb because Im a beginner. Is it true that longbows are more forgiving than recurves?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
Well I have been shooting a recurve for over 50 years and just this last summer I got a true flat long bow and to my amazement it is more forgiving . I would get the occasional high left flier but that doesn't happen with my long bow .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 01:04:00 AM »
Welcome. I disagree that a one piece long bow is more forgiving. A takedown bow of any kind with a good grip that fits your hand and places it in the same spot shot after shot is most forgiving I think. Mass weight in the riser makes a bow a lot easier to shoot for me. It goes back to the physics deal about a object a rest tends to stay at rest and the heavier the object is the harder it is to move. As Rob said, to light of poundage can be very hard to shoot well. It is very hard to get a clean release with to light of poundage. Hope I didn't confuse you. You will find a lot of great knowledge on this site. Good luck and keep it fun.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »
Welcome to Trad Gang! I think you have the right idea just don't get hung up on the raised rest, it does not matter. Look at used bows and all the best to you!

Offline Evy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
What would be the minimum poundage of a bow for a beginner?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
Evy,

It all depends on your abilities, but that does not mean it's a negative thing. I'd say 30-35 is a good start, but if your strength is above average, 40-45 might not be bad, but, play it safe and go 30-35. Trying to build muscles while trying to build form does not end well in most cases. If you got a 68" longbow from Mike Ballenger you could have it 30-35 pounds and if form is good, Mike might be able to shorten the bow after you work on form and strength and thereby increase the poundage to a huntable level. Any bowyer might be able to do that with the right limb design and bow design.

Any nearby tradgangers you can work with? I think one has already posted that may be a neighbor not far away.

Again, good luck with your quest.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©