3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kayak Hunting - New for Me - Updated Pics  (Read 537 times)

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Kayak Hunting - New for Me - Updated Pics
« on: October 05, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
I had such an awesome day today out in the swamps here in Louisiana. My sister bought a kayak a couple years ago and I have been very curious about using one for getting to some out of the way hunting areas. Saw a few post on here that reinforced the idea as well. I got on google earth and pick an area that I have never hunted before. It was exciting to not have been in this area before even though it is relatively close to where I have hunted in the past. I found a good place to put in and was paddling in the dark down a bayou looking for a feeder bayou on the left. The reflections of alligator eyes always makes you feel alive and there were plenty of those. The garfish where everywhere and when the kayak would get close they would splash right next to the kayak which makes your heart skip a beat. When I turned up this bayou I knew I was going to like this kind of hunting.

Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kayak Hunting - New for Me - Updated Pics
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
I have a few spots I can get to by canoe. It really adds to the enjoyment of the hunt.   :thumbsup:
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
I really started slowing down once I turned up this smaller bayou and it was very quiet. I was felling rather sneaky at this point! I had not gone 100 yards and off to my left something cracks a branch. I let my paddles drag to slow me down and listened intently. I felt a breeze on the right side of my face so I figured whatever it was had smelled me. You can't see into the woods on these bayous. The banks go up and then drop off into the wood or cypress flats so I had no idea what might be making the noise. I slowly paddled to the bank, threw both legs out the kayak and stood. I pushed the kayak back behind me and grabbed my bow. I eased up the bank knowing that there was no way to be totally silent with all the thick cover. As soon as I started up the bank another "crack" and something running away. I knew at this point it had to be a pig so I continued up until I could see into the woods. I hung out there for a while and then eased in to check out for sign or the pig. I found sign but never did see the pig that I knew was somewhere near. The wind was terrible for that side of the bayou so I decided to scout some and found this. Definitly pigs!

Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I was excited to have this kind of sign so early in the hunt and I was liking this kayaking pretty good. Oh, the mosquitoes - well let's just say, "thank God for Therma-cell! In the woods they were horrible but not bad at all on the water. Another reason I was liking this kayak.
I continued up the bayou and snuck up on two squirrels that did not stick around for me to shoot at them. The water is low right now and I got to an area where this duckweed sort of stuff was bank to bank. It was noisier to go through but not bad. The trees across the bayou were a different story. At places I was able to jump the logs that were a few inches under water but at a couple of spots I had to get out and pull the kayak over. All in all though not a bad deal.

Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
I went as far as I could go up the bayou by kayak. Just too many logs and trees blocking the way. I scouted/hunted the upwind side of the bayou but did not see much in the way of deer or hog sign. It was very hot and the wind started to pick up which was welcoming at the time.

Tropical Storm Karen is getting closer and you can feel the weather changing. I had passed a dry slough that drained into the bayou on the downwind side so I turned around to make my way there. Even though the wind was wrong I wanted to get out and look for possible hunting spots for the future. The slough was perfect to walk in. No cover to make noise and low enough where you could walk a few steps and then go up the slough bank to look for critters. I went about 40 yards up this slough and ran into some very fresh sign.

Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
There were 3 wallows within 10 yards of each other where this one was. I was wishing the wind had been from the right direction. The thick cover on both sides of the slough opened into a cyprees tree flat that would hold water in wetter conditions so I got out of the slough and went to check for sign. "Crack". About 50 yards away a pig - I am assuming - broke a branch in some thick ferns and took off. Like I said the wind was totally wrong but having never been here before this was more of a scouting trip. I walked 30 yards onto this cypress flat and found this fantastic wallow!

Behind the spot where I took this picture I found a great place to ground hunt from that would let me scan that flat and shoot toward both sets of wallows. While checking this spot out I stumbled upon a nice buck track that was very fresh. He had skirted the edge of that cypress flat just inside the cover.

I went back to the kayak and worked my way back toward the truck scouting a few other spots along the way. Found some oak trees and a few acorns dropping. I will certainly be doing this kayak thing again - in fact tomorrow morning. Lord willing - there could be pork sausage on the menu!!
Todd Trahan

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Choot'm Todd-Hap

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Nice story!   :bigsmyl:
Conny

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Thank you for bringing us along.  I loved the pics and step by step

Tells us about the kayak, make model. I'm looking to add another old town 147 guide as I sold one off a few years ago and now the kids are old enough to go out again,
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your hunt.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Nice pics, thanks for sharing the hunt.  I need to dig my canoe out and try getting into some remote areas up here.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
I like the Kayak idea. How stable would you say it is compared to a canoe ?
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
The Kayak is a Pescador 12' from Academy Sports. Tracks real well and is pretty stable. Cannot stand up in it like some kayaks but stable enough for this.
Todd Trahan

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
Very cool.  I have always wanted to take my canoe on a hunting trip.  Just curious what bow your using?

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
Todd I have canoed all over Louisiana and a great place to do it is the bowhunting reserve Acadiana Conservation Corridor in three parishes.If intrested we could maybe make a 2 or 3- nite trip.Hogs and deer only problem is you hear the interstate traffic all day and nite but also helps to mask human noise.I live in Ville Platte so in my back yard and have a 16' canoe.Kip

toddn

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
Cool!  You've certainly planted the seed in many folks' minds.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
I hunt from a canoe. It's a great tool. Nice photos!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Nice!  I have a canoe and kayak but never hunter out of either.  You just might motivate me to give it a try.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
I want to try, what type of kayak do you use, got pictures?
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Wow... that is really cool looking country.  Thanks for the report.  Good luck on the pork sausage.  :goldtooth:
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©