3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodie Makers  (Read 521 times)

Offline zzzmlucas

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodie Makers
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
So, I'm working on my first set of woodies, which I sanded and coated with 4 coats of Tongue oil. My question is, can I do a cap dip over the Tongue oil coat, or will paint not adhere? Also I was wondering what people use to seal the cresting, or do you just leave it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline DeerBacon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodie Makers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
You should be fine as long as you don't use oil based paint.I have never used tongue oil though. I use true oil or poly 1-2 coats then crest then 4-6 coats true oil or minwax poly. I also lightly sand between coats of oil with 0000 steel wool for bonding. The poly seems more durable to me. Give it plenty time to cure before shooting the arrows. There may be better finishes but I just use what is in my shop or at local stores. Good luck.

" I got a new bow for my wife, It was the best trade I ever made! "

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
I use MinWax water base poly to seal my shafts. I seal with 3 coats then cap and crest and add a final coat of sealer over it. You should be able to lightly sand where your cap is going before painting. I would use oil base paint for the cap and cresting. It's up to you as to whether you want to add another coat of Tongue oil for better protection of your cap and cresting.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
I like to use masters choice paints for cresting, minwax stains and rustoleum spray paint for caps.I like to use the Massey finish substituting denatured alcohol for acetone 5 or 6 coats. Duco for fletching.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
I like to use masters choice paints for cresting, minwax stains and rustoleum spray paint for caps.I like to use the Massey finish substituting denatured alcohol for acetone 5 or 6 coats. Duco for fletching.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
You can finish over the tung oil but make sure it is completely dry.  Give it several days, especially in damp weather.  Sand it lightly and you should be able to dip your caps.  I like to spray mine with Rustoleum.  Let it dry thoroughly then you can crest them.  I like to seal my crests with two coats of Minwax water based gloss poly.  Good luck and have fun.  Building arrows can be addictive  :-)
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©