3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My favorite color is Red!  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My favorite color is Red!
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 06:43:00 AM »
Hello Mr Slayer..... coffee is hot !!!

Lanier
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Steve Crowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
:campfire:
Steve Crowl

"Proud Father of several Marines"

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
Good morning Scott!   Get your butt out of bed and finish the story!!!   :biglaugh:

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
:coffee:    :coffee:    :coffee:
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Just burned a pot of Java.......
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
Been up since 4 am, what's your problem lol

Offline coryd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
These long drawn out posts drive me crazy... it's like having the deer in sight, but not in range.

I'm going to get more coffee....

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Ok ok...... Let me see where was I. Got to get the cob webs out this morning. Yea yea yea back to the story. Well guys for the past 2 or 3 years I have really struggled with may traditional archery gear. I had several bows that I liked and that shot well but I regretfully traded them away.(What a Dummy) I was having a hard time finding something that would shoot for me. Back in January I ran across a 1971 Super Kodiak 50lb 60". This just so happened to be my birth year. I purchased it from a member her named Curt. He was a Missouri boy who knew a lot about the old bear bows. I got permission from the boss and the deal was made. This bow was mint, hardly a scratch on it. Curt had made a string for it and told me to set the BH at 8". I swear I could not believe how good this bow shot. I was one of the quietest bows I have ever put in my hand. It had all the right qualities you look for in a bow smooth no hand shock light forgiving etc. I talked on the phone with Curt, quite often I asked him all kinds of questions about the old bear bows. To be honest I really never really paid them that much attention. Curt would say....."You how many critters Fred Bear killed with a Super Kodiak" and "Fred probably had a Million dollars in research and development of that bow"...and "that was Fred Bears favorite bow" ...... Here is a picture of my 1971 beauty

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
I shot that bow every day for months. Fast forward to September(Deer Season). I had arrows flying out of that bow like darts. They would go exactly where I looked every time I just could not get over it. Every time I shot that bow I would walk away with a big  :bigsmyl:  on my face! I had been hunting a few times and had a bunch of deer on me but I could never get them to turn right where I could make a good shot so I let them walk. Well one evening after work I was out shooting in the driveway and I noticed the last arrow I shot had a little wiggle in it. I looked over the bow and the arrow and figured that maybe I torqued it bad or something so I kept shooting.(That was the wrong thing to do) About 2 arrows later the string broke and my bow made an awful crack noise. I truthfully thought that my bow had exploded. It scared the crap out of me. Something hit my forearm and made a nasty mark not sure if was the arrow or the string that hit it but it made a nasty bruise. I was devastated. Hear I am in the middle of hunting season with no bow to shoot. I had a few other bows but I am not confident enough to take them hunting. I looked over the bow and it appears to be ok. The string broke apart right where the wool puff balls were installed. Not sure why it broke but it did. So there I was right back to square one. I quickly made a call to Curt and could not get him, his wife said he was out of town working in the oil fields and would not be home for several weeks. I needed to find out if he could make me another string or tell me what it was made of.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
I had to come up with another plan. I looked over at my bow rack, just nothing there that would shoot for me. I did have a Morrison Shawnee that I liked but it didn't shoot as good for me as this bow. You guys know how important confidence is in this game..... So I made the decision to put the Morrison on the chopping block. I hated to see her go but she had to. I had a pretty good idea of what I could do if I had the funds and all she was doing was hanging there anyway. I knew someone else could probably get some use out of her.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
I finally got a hold of Curt and he told me what the string was made of and told me that SBD could make me a new one so I quickly got on line and ordered it.........Crap 2 to 4 week lead time. That's almost a month of the season. I wasn't prepared to give up that many weeks. I asked Curt about the new Bear bows and he said that they shot great, just like the originals. He hadn't steered me wrong yet so took the funds from the Morrison bow that I sold and ordered a 59 Kodiak and a 64" Grayling Green Super Kodiak from Three Rivers. In a matter of days the bows were on my door step. Great service by the way! Here are a couple of pictures of my new bows!

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
Well I get the bows out and start tuning. I figured between the two I could get one of them to shoot for me. Well guess what, they both shoot awesome. Only problem, with the factory strings they are loud as crap. I caledl Curt again and he tells me they need Skinny strings to get them quiet. For anyone else they would probably be ok but it really bothers me to try to hunt with a loud bow. Well SBD strings are 2 to 4 weeks out so here I am again back to square one. I pull out all my old strings I had about 20 or 30 surly I could find one that would work on one of the bows. I spent the better part of 2 days trying different strings on the bows, trying to find one that would suit me. It was a long process and I was starting to get pretty bummed. Let me just say that these bows flat out shoot, arrow flight and accuracy are not a problem. I was just about to give up and I found a red string in the bottom of the box. The light went on when I saw it,  I remember this string, It was made for a 62" bow and the guy that made it, made it to short. He didn't charge me for it and told me to keep it and he sent me another one. Just so happens it was a skinny string. I put it on my Kodiak set the brace height to 8" and man it shot just like the old Super K did. Quiet, no had shock arrows fly like darts. Curt was right again..

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Well Saturday rolls around and I cant hardly sleep Friday night because I am so excited. I have a bow set up and tuned, quiet, arrows flying like darts going right where I look. Life is good again! I have two pretty good stands that have plenty of deer activity. Well I get up at 4:30 get the coffee going check the weather and the wind direction. Its going to be a great day I just could tell something good was going to happen. I headed out to my morning spot. I tried to get to the stand at least for an hour before legal shooting light, this gives everything a chance to get really quiet before shooting light. Well an hour rolls around and it just starts to get light. I can hear acorns dropping all over the place(Sounds like rain!) I had a little bit of corn out at this stand but its not really needed because there are plenty of acorns for the deer to eat. About the time it gets light something catches my eye coming to the corn. Turns out to be a giant house cat! The stupid thing is eating corn. I have never saw or heard that before. Well I figured he would just move on but he didn't. He just sat there for probably 30 min eating. All of a sudden I hear a deer blowing. I turn around and look and its a giant doe that has spotted the cat. She blew and stomped at that cat for probably 5 or 6 minutes. It was the craziest thing I ever saw. Finally the cat runs off and the deer comes to the corn. Go figure. You would have thought that she would have just blown out but she didn't. So she was just about to get into the right position and I'll be danged if the stupid cat came back in and ran her off. It was like being in comedy movie.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
More after church!

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
ttt

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Ok Scott, I got up at 10:00 to check this thread.  Took a Benadryl and back to bed.  Church has got to be over by now.  I'm going to make coffee and expect to see blood trail in the next few minutes.  I'm on midnights and cranky...just ask my wife!  Beautiful bows by the way     :coffee:
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
Ok. I just had to mow the grass and do some chores I should have done yesterday. I will get to the end shortly.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
:campfire:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Back to the story. I guess you can tell that he morning hunt didn't yield any meat, but it sure was a great show! In the afternoon I went to a new place that I have never hunted before. There was plenty of deer sign there I just haven't had a chance to hunt it yet. I took my climber and went pretty early, so I had plenty of time to find a tree and get my stuff ready. This is what it looked like once I got set up....

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
man I wanna see the resource of the color "RED"!!!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©