3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Richloam WMA  (Read 1221 times)

Offline UrbanArcher1975

• Trad Bowhunter
Richloam WMA
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
I think I asked about this wma last season, but didn't get a chance to get out there. It opens to archery Oct 16, so I'd like to do a little still hunting this season there. I'm aware of the buck rule and the history of hog-dogging there, but was wanting any info on locations or tactics for the area. Hope you guys have had a good season so far!
- Adam
Bear Montana 55#

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Richloam WMA
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
It's been a lot of years since I hunted Richloam, but I hunted it pretty much all over back when I did...mostley spring gobblers, but killed this boar hog in there and these 4 bucks right across the fence in Greenswamp East WMA..just to show you what size bucks are in there.

The best time for big bucks is during the rut and it's late in that area..right at the end of the season in Jan. the colder the temps the better.

I'm getting ready to head into the woods right now, if you want locations let me know and I'll give you some spots.

Offline UrbanArcher1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks Hoyt, I'll hit you up prior to the season opening.  I'm hoping that it is a little less swampy than Three Lakes and more hardwoods, but I don't know.  Maybe it'll start to cool down a bit too, lol!
Bear Montana 55#

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
It won't be wet as Three Lakes as a general rule with same amount of rain in each place. There's a good bit of big live oak hammocks in Richloam that will be above water unless it's really wet in there.
About the highest ground in Richloam has big live oaks on sandy hills. Called Carters Pond area..it's right up next to the bike trail on hwy 50 side. I've had to wade waist deep to get to it when real wet..but when dry you can drive the woods roads to it.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
What did you mean " history of hot dogging " ?  Is that bad ?

ChuckC

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Hog dogging.  Hunting hogs with dogs.  It pretty much chases all the game out of an area.  One hunting party will have a bunch of dogs and a bunch of trucks (usually with glass packs or other loud exhaust) and they'll roar around on all the jeep trails and logging roads "hunting" until they pretty much ruin the place.  It also tends to attract people who don't see a problem with dumping old dishwashers in the woods.  Hog dogging sucks.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
ah.  hmm I pretty much agree with that conclusion.

Do all the larger WMAs down there have hog hunting ?

I am interested in a trip south this winter, maybe Florida is the location ?

ChuckC

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
That area..Richloam WMA is known for deer hunting with dogs also..that's why I quit deer hunting in there years ago and started hunting across the fence in Greenswamp East..it's gated and no dogs.

Every campsite in there is full during deer season with dog hunters..they move in for the whole season even have school bus run through there to pick up their kids.

Offline chris 1968

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Gringol, you need to get some facts right about hog dogging. First it is a southern tradition and has been utilized to control distructive invasive pigs for generations. Second, hog dogs are trained to only chase and bring to bay hogs. They are not allowed to trash on deer or anything else. And I`d be willing to bet 90% of the stuff that gets dumped in WMA`s is from people coming in specifically to dump. By hunting and moving pigs with dogs we often see more deer and turkeys due to less food competition and predation.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Chris, I didn't say the dogs were the problem.  It may be a tradition, but come down here to some of these wmas and watch it and youll see what  I mean.

Offline UrbanArcher1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
Gringol, I feel there ahould  be minimal vehicle traffic allowed in the wma lands. If you can't hike in. You can't hunt. At least in some areas. There needs to be more 'primitive' land in order to keep the sport pure. It urks me when I see four wheelers churning up the entire forest. Just my opinion. Hunting is supposed to be somewhat arduous and driving straight to your stand, parking, killing something, and then trucking it out just isn't hunting. You might as well go to the store. Anyhow, I don't wish to offend anyone, it's only my feeling and I don't make the rules or wish to impose my will on anyone.
Bear Montana 55#

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
I`m guessing Ga. WMA`s are far better managed. You cannot drive "Off road" and no dogs allowed unless it is a scheduled hogdog hunt.Hog doggers are good people or at least most are. Same as bowhunters.
  Only problem is dogs can`t read signs and if you give a dog hunter 1000 acres he will hunt 5000. Dogd for pigs only target pigs but everything else gets the heck out of dodge.RC

Offline UrbanArcher1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
RC, I agree, I know people who hunt with dogs and they are fine sportsmen. Sometimes it's that 5% that give everyone a bad name just like attorneys I guess. Hunting with dogs is a time honored tradition and its not necessarily the dogs that cause all the issues, sometimes people aren't responsible tenants of the land. But that goes for all hunters I guess. I'm a traditional bow hunter specifically cause I personally like to make it as minimally impacting and as 'traditional' as I can. It's about the sport and the hunt itself, enjoying the woods with your children and buddies, but always remembering that we are simply custodians of the land and and it should be as conserved as much as possible for the next generation of hunters.
Bear Montana 55#

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Adam,  let us know how you find richloam.  You might also try green swamp (just to the south).  No vehicles allowed at all except during hunts and on designated roads.  It doesn't get hit too hard during archery season, but it isn't easy to hunt.  It opens next weekend.

Offline UrbanArcher1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Will do, I may hit Greenswamp too
Bear Montana 55#

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Most wma's down there don't allow dog hunting find one that doesn't there are several in the area that are way  better hunting than richloam I know grew up down there. Check out upper Hillsborough wma , ocala was loaded with deer in the nineties and 200k acres most of it is still hunting , citrus is a beautiful place and if you truly want wilderness bow hunting check out the Osceola nat forest in lake city .spent the whole archery season there and never seen a other hunter.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Most wma's down there don't allow dog hunting find one that doesn't there are several in the area that are way  better hunting than richloam I know grew up down there. Check out upper Hillsborough wma , ocala was loaded with deer in the nineties and 200k acres most of it is still hunting , citrus is a beautiful place and if you truly want wilderness bow hunting check out the Osceola nat forest in lake city .spent the whole archery season there and never seen a other hunter.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline UrbanArcher1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Hunted Ocala WMA today and it was nice. I had not been there before, so I was blind, but I found some areas I'd like to hunt next time. Saw a lot of fresh (as of this morning, cause it rained lat night) tracks and a couple doe. Heard some turkeys, but didn't see them in the thick brush. 68 degrees with a breeze and it was dry in the area I was hunting. No game taken, but a good scouting adventure for a new area.
Bear Montana 55#

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
I had a black bear experience in Ocala WMA back in the mid 70's. I was in my home made loc on stand about head high..forgot my pole climbers...when I looked behind me and saw a small black animal. First thought was a hog..but not many hogs in the area I was hunting. I then saw two more and realized it was 3 little black bear cubs about 14" high on all fours.

My first thought was.."where's the sow". Then I noticed a black blob directly under me..about a good step from my tree in a big gall berry bush.

Couldn't hear good back then either and that sow somehow and got under me without me knowing it. I immeditely thought to myself.."I got to let her know I'm here as nice as I can". So I cleared my throath with as little noise as possible. I might as well have popped a paper sack. She busted out of there like a scaulded dog..ran about 40yds to some planted pine sapplings stopped in there and started popping her teeth.

I guess mainly because her little cubs ran from 40yds behind me to where she had run from..directly under me and two of them went up a tree about 5' foot and hung there looking around, the other stayed on the ground right below me.

There I was arms reach off the ground with my recurve and sitting over her cubs and she popping her teeth 40yds away.

Thankfully, in less than a minute the cubs decided to go to her and it all ended well. I long stepped it out of there with my pocket knife open in hand and before dark.

Offline UrbanArcher1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Ha!  Great story Hoyt!  I know black bears rarely cause trouble with a human, but I don't care, if you see one in person, and I have, you'll still be sweating bullets.  It's a big area out there in Ocala, I look forward to going again sometime, but I'll definately have to scout some more.  I usually like to hunt on the ground, but I think I'll get a tree climber for that area, its got alot of open scrub tree areas right next to the hardwoods that would be great for a tree stand.
Bear Montana 55#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©