3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need advice; these white tails have me confused  (Read 209 times)

Offline Brian K

• Trad Bowhunter
Need advice; these white tails have me confused
« on: October 06, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
I have limited time to hunt, so I put out a game came in what I call deer valley on a small public area. Boy, was I surprised at what I found out!   BTW,  I'm still looking for my first harvest.  This is season #4 since picking it up again after a long break.  I had 4 seasons back in the early 80s.  Except for my first year back in 1980 when I used the Bingham projects compound bow I built in shop class,  I've always hunted traditional.  

In the past, most my sightings were just before sundown.  My assumption was they were heading north to the private land corn fields and I was catching them en route. However, at end of last season,  I got out early one day and sighted more deer then I ever had, it was closer to lunch time than dinner time and they were headed a different direction.

On my game cam, I have pics at almost all times of the day. The 8am and 6pm times don't surprise me, but the noon and 3:30 times do.   I see deep pretty regular, and it seems like there is always a spike buck, a small 6 or 8 point and during the rut I"ll get a glimpse or a big boy cursing through.

The area has a high oak population and a smaller than normal but still ample acorn crop.

So my question is, am I setting up in their bedding area or their snack area, and should I move?   Any thoughts?  

Thanks  BK
There's only 7 days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice; these white tails have me confused
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Brian,

Hard to tell from your description.  Remember, if the corn is up, they can and do often hang out and even bed in the field.  Coming out for acorns or water, or other browse might be dessert.

You mention going out early "at the end of the last season".  What time of year was that ?  

Was the corn or field crop already picked by then ?  Was it corn or beans in the field ? Was there a better acorn crop that year ? Was the rut going on or over ?  Snow on the ground ?

Lots of reasons for the deer to be active and more seen that last day, some of which might include location of bedding and some might include other reasons.

For them to be out and about all day might indicate that they are not feeling pressured or it could just be that it is January and cold as heck and that they want to feed and move about during the warm part of the day..

Keep describing.

ChuckC

Offline Brian K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Thanks Chuck!

Last season I noticed the change in January after the corn was well out.  So it didn't really surprise me. And yes,  lots of Acorns last year There were two different snow storms with a thaw in between.  Definitely more action after the corn was out.  I've always found scrapes and rubs in this area. In fact, my two best opportunities came during mid-day during the rut.  

This year, I've not been to check out the feeding area, but I'm assuming its beans.  That feeding area is probably a 1/2 to 3/4 a mile from my hunting spot.  I don't think they get too much pressure from hunting except during shotgun season, but there are always lots of day hikers.  Whom I think nuts for traipsing through a public hunting area without a spot of orange on.  

Anyway,  I'm just confused when to get myself in my stand or ground blind. It almost seems like a hit or miss.  I've them up while walking in before son up and on the way out after sundown.  And now they seem to be in there all day.  

I'm planning on getting one this year!  But if not, I have just as much fun collecting the foam trophies. They just don't taste as good.

Thanks again for the advice!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
I think if you can spend a lot of time out there during the week, some time between the last week of October and the second week of November, this would be the most probable time for lots of possible.  Leaves are generally down, the bucks are moving a lot and the rut is gearing up.  I think the first two weeks of November are always the best, but work has never been kind to me during that time period.  I hope to find out this year.

Try not to hunt one tree or little area every day.  That would just let them pattern YOU and avoid you.  Gotta keep them guessing.  

Are there any natural funnels or heavy trails leading from fields to your place ?  Might try to find ambush points along several of these.

Good luck, shoot straight.

ChuckC

Offline Brian K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 01:28:00 AM »
There are lots of trials crisscrossing the area but I've never found the highway to to the feed lot.  

You are right about the first or second week of Nov.  They seem to move all day long.  

I've put up one ladder stand that I don't care if someone walks off with, built 2 ground blinds and have picked out 2 trees for my portable stand.  

But I like the ground.  I may invest in a Rancho Safari ghillie long coat.  That will give me a lot  more options and I won't have to make so much noise getting up a tree.  

Thanks for the pointers!

Good luck with your season too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©