3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My JD Berry Birthday Bow  (Read 420 times)

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
My JD Berry Birthday Bow
« on: October 07, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
I got a call from James last thursday saying he was starting my bow and it should be ready this mid-week. Darn, I thought, I won't have it for my birthday (7th) but thats fine. Got a call sunday (6th) saying bow is done come get it. Wow!! worked all weekend so I could have it.
Man what a beauty it is; Macasar ebony riser, curley maple with burl back and quilted maple belly. The quilted maple appears translucent, almost a shimmering 3D.
After I broke all of James's arrows,       :knothead:      I brought it home and got it set up with my stuff.
This is my first go at an American longbow. Up to this point I have been leery of handshock, relatively slow speed and fussy tuning. Well forget that. This bow has no handshock that I can tell and really zips a 625 gr arrow (11.2gpp)
The shootability is what really stands out. It's like you have to try to have a bad shot. I compared it to a well known RD bow that is 2lbs heavier, shooting the same arrows and couldn't tell the difference. The bow is light in the hand but balanced so well that it's feels like an extention of your hand.
The cost of this bow is way below what comparable bows are selling for, making it a great value.
This will be my late season bow and I also have a Vixen coming that I will use for elk. The Vixen will be identical to this one as far as woods.
Just thought I would share and let those interested know that the Berry bows are a great value on a first rate bow. Good Hunting, Mike

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My JD Berry Birthday Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
Happy Bday ....nice present...congratulations on all accounts!

><>>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
Great looking bow, enjoy.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
That is a beauty, hard to beat those Berry's,
Congrats. I just got on the list a couple weeks ago for a Misty Dawn, but love my Vixen so much might change my mind and get another one of those.
Tom

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
BEAUTIFUL!!!! Enjoy it.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. Iam thinking these bows might be addictive. Have a great day, Mike

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Congrats LH.  That Morningstar's a beaut, and welcome to the straight stick bunch.  Good luck with this one and your Vixen this season.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Great looking bow!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
Very nice bow Lone hunter,
I love my Morningstar and honestly all of my Berrys. I have shot alot of bows and mostly American longbows and the Berrys are at the very top of the game. So much so its all I shoot anymore.

You will love the vixen also, as it encompasses all things classic American longbow, but James Morningstar ad Northstar make it hard to miss.

Congrats
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Very nice Mike. I've been lusting after a Morning star for a few weeks now. This one makes my putter flutter.    :saywhat:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
That is a beautiful bow.  I'll bet that maple does just shimmer... And both the MS and the Vixen will put meat in the freezer, for sure!  Glad you got your bow and Happy Birthday, Mike.  :wavey:
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
WOW!

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Thanks again guys it was a great bday but more than that, I wanted to endorse these types of longbows and the people that make them. I never thought I would buy into this style until I tried them. Thanks for all your help Jerry. Of course I'am patial to Berry bows now. Crips, bought my first bow in '70 and my first straight stick in '13. Lotta years I've been missing out.
Say, what brace ht. should I be using. Been bouncing between 6-7 with better results toward 7. Sounds like that might be too high though.

Take care of your putter Danny.  ;)
 Thanks again, Mike

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I run all my Berrys right around 6.5". That's what James suggested so I kept it there
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Thanks Brian, that's where I'll put it.

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
lone hunter, 6.5"-7" is about right, sounds like that would be to high to a lot of people, but don't forget its a forward handle, you are measuring from the belly glass to the string at brace. On a Vixen you would be measuring from the face of the handle to the string at brace, that adds in most longbows 1.5" because of handle depth. Belly handle bows have a higher brace then forward handle bows, just the numbers sound higher. P.S. don't let lone hunter kid you he is a very good shot, He give me some Elk to prove it. lol.....James

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Like to add, because forward handle bows have a lower brace that adds speed to the cast of the arrow, the fletching clears the handle better because the riser is on the back side of the limbs, that adds in return to better arrow flight.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Thanks James I'll play with it some more to see what it likes. Thanks also for the bow I'am having a ball shooting it. Mike

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
lone hunter, you might as well go ahead and git it over with, its time to hear "You stung your bow backwards" post a pic. of the Star at brace, and join the club..LOL....james

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
lone hunter, you have a beautiful bow!

I just spoke to James yesterday to finalize details on my new Vixen. Can't wait!

And then our conversation drifted, and James and I started talking about his reverse-handle bows. I sure would like to try one.  I might have to add a second JD Berry bow to my herd.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©