3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bare shaft tuning  (Read 206 times)

Offline one more bow

• Trad Bowhunter
bare shaft tuning
« on: October 07, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
Hi
Ill leave all the frustrating stuff out and just ask the question.
when you are shooting bare shafts at a vertical line, do you shoot purely instinctively or do you use a point of aim. such as the field point?

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bare shaft tuning
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Shoot the way you always shoot.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
honestly half the time I get close enough I close my eyes and concentrate on relaxing and form.   It really means little where the arrow goes.   Though once you start getting close you can step back and 'aim' if you wanted too.  Really you're only trying to tell if the arrow is stiff or weak nothing more.

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Shoot the way you naturally shoot.  You can adjust the point of impact by changing the spine and/ or building the side plate then tune accordingly.

Offline one more bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 05:51:00 AM »
so I kinda get the impression you guys might not buy into the idea of holding your bow vertical. and no I don't shoot like that. it was quite awkward at first. said I wasn't going to get into all this but I got to mention it. bought some gold tips , 55/75 full length and 300 grains up front they shoot like darts. although very slow darts, 658 grain arrow. I shoot an a&h long bow, 48@28 drawing 26.5" I can take the same shaft cut to 27.5" and it flys dang good. all these were fletched shafts. I just don't get it. the short ones do to hit left or right a little more. I honestly don't remember now. I shot three arrows yesterday, decided to give it a break. at around 23 yards height was perfect and about 4 inches left. other two at around 10/15 yds. one dead on the other about 1/2" right.27.5" arrows. correct me if I am wrong but I am beginning to think the whole deal with getting a bow that shoots where you are looking has more to do with getting lucky and having the perfect spine and center shot distance in short order. so we think it must have been the bow. I am thinking any old bow can be made to shoot to where your looking by playing with the strike plate, center shot distance. we say it was the bow, but really seems to me you just hit the correct combination of center shot distance and spine. this my be common knowledge, but it just kinda hit me recently.
thanks for the help.
Oh yea to Mr. Green, if become a contributor now will I be due again in November?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Contrib? Has been answered.   On here.

Let's take a sneak peak at left and rights for a second.    Have you checked your rear sight at all?  (Anchor point).   This I believe is an often overlooked issue on an otherwise well tuned bow.    Start shoving the shelf out and u start messing with spine to a degree.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
If you cant (is it cant or kant?) the bow you need to understand that if you have nock high it might be seen as nock right when impacting target (if right handed). I shoot from both positions to be sure. The bottom line is you need good flight when using the form you will be using when you shoot normally.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©