3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why Does Wool Keep You Warm When Wet?  (Read 614 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why Does Wool Keep You Warm When Wet?
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lamey:
cuz its the way God made it   ;)  
:thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
every day I learn something..
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Just came back from Elko county, NV.  Therre were sheep herders bringing 'meadow maggots" down from the high country.  Snow, rain, cold-they just don't care.  Wool, 80 million sheep can't be wrong.  and credit to the Creator for wisdom unmatched by human engineering.

I wa looking for some thin wool undies.  Found lots on line for %30 a piece.  went to costco and got some for $20-made in RVN.  I neever saw any sheep when I was there.  anybody else see any?
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I have an ancient all wool military sleeping bag that is relatively light and compact but very warm, especially is a good ground cover is used.
If you look at pics from WWII, the germans and russians all wore great coats for winter fighting. they were thick wool and at night they just pulled their legs in the coat and slept.

Some of that type wool clothing is on surplus sites.  I have a pair of german wool issued trousers for the last 35 years-the seams fianlly are giving out, but the wool is fine.

I wore wool all last weekend, teens at night and 50's during the day.  Lots of walking to different canyons with then hours spent glassing from windswept crests. Seems like you either like wool, or you have not tried it seriously enough!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Roger, Mike V just imparted that little nugget of information about wool socks year-round as well. I recently switched over to them and am absolutely shocked at the results. I'll be stocking up on thin wool socks soon. I wore them the entire time I was in Georgia a week ago (thanks to Mike's suggestion). 80 some degrees and so humid you couldn't walk outside without sweating and it poured the last day.

My feet were perfect every day.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
I learned in military that cotton will kill you and wool will work in ANY WEATHER...it has an apparent ability to adjust and let your body breathe while keeping heat in.  I wear a thin wool shirt in any temps below 70* when hunting.  I wear wool socks most of the time as well...different thicknesses...but my favorite are some for hiking with padded heel and toe.

clearly mother nature had it right from the beginning....then when dirty or sweaty you rinse in cold water and lay over a rack or chair outside and in couple days the smell is gone and it is back to normal.   :)

My Swandri jacket I got from Paul Brunner many years ago is still one of my best....a pile of Woolrich mackinaw and alaskan shirts....and now I wear regularly the lightweight shirt from Classic Sportsman.  outstanding in every regard.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Just a thought. If wool makes you itch, you may want to consider wearing a layer of silk underwear of the type found in ski catalogs under the wool longjohns. It is very light and comfortable. It also is a good insulator. This has worked well for me.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©