3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bucks Fighting October 5th??? ...What's up?  (Read 812 times)

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bucks Fighting October 5th??? ...What's up?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
I managed to rattle in a buck this past Saturday up here around school near Kansas City, Mo. It wasn't a loud session, just a soft tingle but the weather had dropped a significant amount and I though why not? He came to 9 yards and broadside but with a small sapling covering the "crease". Last year i softly rattled in a buck on the 15th of October as well.
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
I hear ya Z...and not saying the peak will be any different...just a lot of stuff early...that's my main point.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
Didn't get a chance to hunt last night so glassed a field across from home. Watched two bucks come from opposite directions into the field with does in between. It was like two fighters coming to the ring. Both were 2 1/2 year old 8s. They postured, did the Dosey dough and went at it violently for 10 seconds. It wasn't sparring so much as a brief "I'm gonna kick your arse" battle. Afterwards they left the field the way they came.

Here in IL we get a rut that is fairly intense for a week. What I saw last night was as intense I have seen even then. I know it might have happened before and I missed it this early. Or perhaps these two were aggressive and knew each other and had a bief over the beans. I do know that I am going to try a little rattling next hunt.  Can't hurt!
Mike Davenport

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
What you are seeing is the bachelor groups that  were quite happy hanging out together all summer establishing the pecking order for the upcoming rut. The testosterone levels are rising which usually begins to happen about the time the velvet comes off. All they need now is the first doe to come in season and it is on!
Member NCBA

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I had a 6 point grunting and chasing an old doe all around me this morning!  Great day in the stand!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
Don't see many bucks around where I hunt...let alone sparing or fights!

I did talk to apple growers who said even our Northern Spy (personal favorite never comes in till late Oct) were way early this year and I got mine.

Seems other things folks are saying is "early" this year...

Doesn't mean wholesale change, but it can me there are some minor seasonal shifts occurring...yes?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
As a few have mentioned, the time when most does will be bred is the same. I do not believe that changes. I am only talking about rut activity that we see as hunters. I recall a year where conditions were similar to what they will be this year in my log. I saw saw bucks rubbing, scraping, and fighting over a longer period than usual, starting early. The chasing activity was subdued. When I expected to see the most action during hunts, It ended up happening mostly during the night. Walking in to my spots early in the dark, I was almost bowled over by deer running around chasing. Daytime was a different story, many deer wandering, just not the crazy rut activity many of us are used to. Last year was just perfect and I was able to pin point the two wildest days of the rut for us in our area. My buddy and I sat all day and saw about 15 bucks each, and many chasing does around us for hours. We refer to that as "the day" when talking about wild rut activity. When will "the day" be this year? I'll keep watch, but it may go un-noticed if things are progressing as I suspect. Don't worry though, it will still be a great year just because we are out there. More to come ...
    :archer:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
I hunt the coastal marshes along the Gulf/bay.Our rut sometimes starts as early as late September. Usually by the end of October, the rut is over. We have very few acorns, and the marsh peas start dying around this time. I guess the does come in heat to take advantage of the early feed.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
It's TIME!!!    :clapper:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
Been some chasing going on here too.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
Terry and others - Something I should have added that a deer farmer friend once informed me – Even though the moon and/or  weather doesn't affect the timing of the actually breeding and most does are usually bred within a couple days of the same date year after, a cold snap does exactly that to bucks, snaps them awake.

At this time of year in my area ya hear about October lull, and can be exactly that hot and muggy weather making deer lazy, but when the first cold snap hits, bang it’s on and cage fights  begin…

It’s like something flips the switch and he informed, the more brisk the weather the friskier the bucks…

So even though the weather doesn't affect the timing of the rut, it does affect buck activity and rut's intensity.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
A patient of mine owns/operates a deer farm here in northern Wisconsin.  He was in last week and I always take the time to listen to his insights on deer seeing as how he literally lives with them.

(Before anyone says anything about "deer farming" I'll point out that this is a GOOD man, with most of his "hunts" reserved for disabled children and vets.  To see his photo album of kids in wheelchairs, or soldiers with prosthetics and their huge smiles, certainly changed my perspective on his operation).

Anyways, I asked him, "Where are we with the deer so far?" implying any activity.
He then told me of a fight between two bucks that took place on Monday night of last week.  An older buck on the decline and a younger buck (4 1/2) whose coming into his own went at it near one of the fences.  As he described it, it was a knock down drag out brawl with the younger buck the decided victor.  
I asked if that was normal for this early in the fall and his response was interesting:
"Each deer is unique in their disposition.  Some of my bigger bodied/racked bucks are relatively timid, and some bucks seem to have a chip on their shoulder.  I guess that 4 1/2 year old was looking for a little payback!"
I then asked if either buck was injured and he said, "No, but I did have to fix a part of that fence!"

My take is that when the velvet comes off, so do the gloves in establishing the hierarchy.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
NBK - Yep, exactly.... Even though deer have traits, they are individuals...

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
I watched a full on fight with two mature deer about 5 years ago while I was at work. I saw them across the street and panned the security camera on them just as they went at it. It was a wild thing to watch after seeing these two run together all summer long. The date was September 6th
I love Bow Hunting

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Don't have any credible offering as to why.

Did hear a close loud and long deep grunt this past weekend. Then herd him bound towards me with a heavy landing. I was hunting turks at a field edge and never got a glimpse of him.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
You talking about fights Kenny?

If so,...the 'Charlie' hunt will be fast and furious I suppose.    :scared:  
Gee Terry, I hope theres some truth to that, cant wait to drag out yer deer!  :readit:    :bigsmyl:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Got to get in the woods tomorrow!!
Self reliance cannot be bought

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I didn't witness any of it, but I'm bettin on sparring. It will get more intense as we go.

But on the up side, we have plenty of bucks!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Terry ...I watched 2 sparring 1 night and 4 another night on the south farm at Kenny's....
they weren't knock down drag outs ...just sparring....but enough to listen to their antlers clashing from a distance..the more dominant buck was also chasing the others occasionally...I think they are setting the pecking order and starting to establish boundaries....I'd assume the big ones will not tolerate each other in the next week or so and will separate...there's a real nice one on the north farm also....probably the largest of the bunch.......the milo on the south farm is holding more critters...but a tad tougher to hunt.....there are several early scrapes already started on the field edges...I was real surprised to see the scrapes so early..the white oak acorns are scattered and starting to fall good...the pin oaks seemed to be loaded with acorns.

That's my scouting report and I hope you find your lucky charm  :) . I bet he's the big one on the north farm.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Saw a young forkhorn chasing a doe around this evening. Probably a little while for the older guys around here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©