3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What would you do??  (Read 138 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
What would you do??
« on: October 07, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
I just got my new arrows in and have the bare shafts and the fletched shafts are both hitting together.  (I know what your thinking, why on earth is there a problem?)

Well I am shooting a #51@28 longbow and my arrows weight roughly 410 grains.  That is around 8.6 gpp.  Is that fine?  My arrows are currently full length (32").  I was thinking about cutting the shafts some and adding a few grains up front(brass insert or insert weight).  

Any suggestions for this?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What would you do??
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
Whats your draw length ? Do you have more than an inch over your draw length ? You wont get much advantage unless you can cut down by at least two inches . That would increase your spine by about ten pounds and then you would have to trial and error the point weight to get them back down . Not an exact science but would be a place to start .
Do one arrow untill you find what you like , then do the rest .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
You didn't say what your draw length is. Assuming it is a lot shorter than 32", you will probably want to settle on some standard arrow length that is closer to your draw length.  For example, I draw 28" and cut my arrows to 29". That way, I don't have to adjust for a different sight picture with different arrows, which can throw off your aim, whether you aim by reference to the arrow point or instinctively.  

There's nothing wrong with 8.6 gpp, if you want to use the arrows for 3D.  If you want to use the arrows for hunting, you will probably want something in the 9 or 10 gpp range, which you will be able to achieve by cutting the arrows shorter and tuning for a heavier point.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline TylerH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Try using a heavier point weight before you start cutting anything. I know with my carbons especially I can shoot a range of nearly 100 grains (175-260+/-) without a noticeable change in their tune. Wood or aluminum are usually more sensitive but I would still get a test pack of field points and see how your bow shoots with different sizes. Might be surprised. If you find you can shoot a 50 or 75 grain heavier tip but like the broadheads you have now, switching out your regular inserts with brass would be an option.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
i have some insert weights as well.  I draw to 29. But i like the arrow longer as compared to shorter.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Your arrows are flying good, hitting where you want, and they weigh enough.

I don't see a problem unless you just want a heavier arrow, which you don't need. I guess it's up to you.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by TylerH:
Try using a heavier point weight before you start cutting anything. I know with my carbons especially I can shoot a range of nearly 100 grains (175-260+/-) without a noticeable change in their tune. Wood or aluminum are usually more sensitive but I would still get a test pack of field points and see how your bow shoots with different sizes. Might be surprised. If you find you can shoot a 50 or 75 grain heavier tip but like the broadheads you have now, switching out your regular inserts with brass would be an option.
If you a dead set on changing....try this...my findings are the same.
Carbons are very tolerant of underspine setups.

Personally, if things your arrows are flying good, I wouldn't change now.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©