3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hey Herdbull! Question for ya  (Read 347 times)

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey Herdbull! Question for ya
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Mike, my questions are about puppet fighting. It seems like whenever I read about you using this technique its in the late season post rut. Is this the only time you do it? If so why? I love the idea and was wondering if you've tried it pre/peak rut and if so what were your results? I'd imagine the same as post rut but maybe not.      :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hey Herdbull! Question for ya
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
I think I have spent enough time with Mike to throw an answer out on this one. It is definitely not just for late season. I killed this buck about 5 years ago on November 4 or 5 in Iowa. He was chasing does and I watched him charge across 300 yards of bean stubble to kill  whatever two bucks were fighting in his area when hear heard my puppet fight.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
ok, I'll bite ... whats a puppet fight
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Awesome! Thanks Steve O! Puppet fighting is a technique Mike made. You tie 4 large sheds together with about a foot string on each, then tie those four strings to one string that is as high as your treestand is from the ground. Then you lift the string and bounce the sheds off the ground, leaves, and brush. Mikes had luck rattling bucks in that were hung up with out much movement, plus the sounds is coming from ground level. Can't wait to try it!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Ken,

You have to buy the book!

:biglaugh:

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkken:
ok, I'll bite ... whats a puppet fight
He ties a set of antlers to rope and uses them at the base of his tree while in the stand. It makes ground noises as well, think it was on one of the videos as well. It's a great idea

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
You guys spoiled all my fun    :p

Yes, two separate sets  of sheds each connected to a 4' piece of paracord with both 4' sections tied in the middle to a long rope you take the end of into the stand. You bounce the antlers against each other and the ground to simulate a big fight (or light sparring in late season)

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
Sorry Steve! I saw your post right after I posted and thought about deleting it haha
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
Not to take anything away from Herdbull,but I know guys in S. Michigan that have been doing this since the late 1980's.
Tom

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
First off, know that there is no magic pullet to taking a mature buck. “Puppet Fights” is just another technique of rattling. Yes, I do rattle and use it more during the late season because of two things. 1) I find an increase concentration of deer around a late season food source that tends to bring in more bucks from outlying areas that may be under a little more nutritional stress due the rut than does are. 2) During this time of year there are a few doe’s that come into estrus late, or were missed being bred during their first cycle. So, there is a significant increase in the buck to receptive doe ratio. These two factors create a lot more completion and elicit a greater response from mature bucks during daylight hours compared to the normal rut phase. I use the antlers on a string technique so that I can keep the older bucks distracted and or encouraged them to come to me in more of a straight line than trying to circle and attempting to wind the “receptive doe” that caused the fight. I am also more prepared for the shot with a bow and nocked arrow in my hand.

As far as rattling during the rut, yes I have done quite a bit of that. I like to rattle more frequently during the pre-rut of late October, but once November gets here I don’t rattle as much. However, I still bring rattling antlers into the woods with me in case I see a buck at long distance or something like that. Most of the mature bucks find a doe in heat during the evening trips to the open fields, and then “lock down” with her in dense cover during the daylight hours. Rattling during the rut for me has brought in many more young bucks in the 1 ½ to 2 ½ year-old range. Eventually they do tend to circle and catch my downwind scent. I also hunt a lot in very thick bedding areas and would prefer to remain unnoticed as long as possible. Rattling does disturb the woods much more than grunting or wheezing. Over the years I have rattle less during the rut and wheezed much more.  If a younger buck or any buck is your goal, than by all means try rattling, just be ready to take on a fully alert whitetail. Ha!

One more thing, I have the privilege of hunting in an area of relatively high deer density and the mature bucks may not be working as hard to find receptive does compared to an area of lower deer density. In other words rattling may work better for you during the rut if you are hunting a spot with less deer and they jump on the apparent opportunity that is being presented by your calling. It’s kind of like moose hunting in Alaska; bulls will come a long way to a cow-in-heat call because there aren’t many animals in the neighborhood. Mike

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
Thanks Mike!
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »

I've been doing this for decades, but have not read anything in print or video about suggestions for timing and method. I'm not looking for any credit. Ha!

Speaking of my video, the 8-pt buck that I rattled in using this technique on film and passed up, turned into a 180 inch 5x5 two years later. My neighbor took him with a bow and am sure was glad I was so selective per age. Ha!

You can read more about this rattling method in my book "One With The Wilderness" or a chapter in the new book " Real World Whitetail Icons" , or get a brief view of it in the DVD Essential Encounters. For free reading checkout my calling article posted on Brothersofthebow.com .  Good luck to every one this fall.

This buck is very aggressive and has been sparing with this BassWood tree. Ha!  He may be a good candidate to get rattled in during late season!

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
that is an awesome pic! ^^^
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
NEW BOOK???   WHAT NEW BOOK???   Why don`t I KNOW about a NEW BOOK????

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bonebuster:
NEW BOOK???   WHAT NEW BOOK???   Why don`t I KNOW about a NEW BOOK????
I was thinking the same thing!   :biglaugh:
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Great explanation Mike.  Guys the new book he is referring to is called "Real World Whitetail Icons". It was compiled by Don Higgins and contains NEW writings by all of the good guys. Mike Mitten, Gene and Barry Wensel, Roger Rothhaar, Alan Foster (remember him), Marc Anthony, Don Higgins, Bobby Worthington, etc. it's a great book. Check it out.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
It came out in Dec.  Called "Real World Whitetail Icons" ....in Their Own Words.

It is a book compiled by Don Higgins and includes a couple chapters each from 13 diffrent whitetail hunters including Gene and Barry Wensel, myself, Roger Rothhaar, Bobby Worthington, Adam Hays, Allen Foster etc.  You may not have heard about it here because even though some of us use trad equipment, others do not. Its a full color 8 1/2 X 11 , 316 pages. If you want a copy. PM or e-mail me [email protected]

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
I can't wait to get my hands on this one! Thanks again!
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »
Probly a stupid question.....

Does anyone know if it works with "synthetic" antlers???

I've got a bunch of old 3-D target antlers laying around!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
Since I am not smashing them together with my hands, I found that four antlers work best to make all the comotion I was looking for. If thats all you have, then synthetic should work. I would use at least 4 or 5 of them since they are lighter that natural sheds, and I think you would want lound thumping to the ground, brush and leaves. I use prety good size sheds (see photo).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©