3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sitka gear or kuiu gear  (Read 329 times)

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
sitka gear or kuiu gear
« on: October 08, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
I was thinking about upgrading some of my clothes and was wondering what gear would be best for me. I only need my gear for archery hunting whitetails in oct and early november in pa. I need my clothes to be silent and breathable, I like my scent loc clothing but when I walk awhile to my stand or drag a deer all I do is sweat. What pieces of clothing would you suggest, I have a bunch of wool for my colder weather hunting thanks brad
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: sitka gear or kuiu gear
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Core4Element...same quality, as good if not better design and a lot more affordable.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
I have and love my Sitka Ascent and 90% pants.  Both of them have their place in hunting different temperarures and areas.  My 90% get warn more than my Ascent pants.  I have not tried Kuiu, so I cannot comment on them.  

It all requires layers to be their best, but when you find your combination, you will be an extreamly happy hunter.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
I also love my Ascent and 90% pants.  I also have the 90% jactet.  I have seen some of the Kuiu stuff and it appears nice but I have no experience with it.  For base layers I think there better or as good products cheaper.  But for the outer layer I have not seen anything that I would replace my Sitka stuff with.

Nice piece to look at is the Jet Stream Jacket.  Basiclly the 90% with a hood and windbreaker.
T ZZZZ

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
I have quite a bit of Sitka stuff and bought my son Kuiu jacket and pants-he also has a bunch of Sitka. I find the quality to be really excellent from both companies; but boy you gotta' be in shape to wear the Kuiu jacket! No way that an old fart like me can get into it  :laughing:

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
I recently switched from the Sitka Fanatic series (jacket and bibs) to the Kuiu line. I hunt Whitetails in Wisconsin. I am very happy with the switch. Do the research on Kuiu and you will find they use only the best materials. They are very thoughtful and minimalist in their design. I love their Vias camo (took a doe at ten yards out of a 15 ft. treestand- no worries), and their Verde camo is at least as good as Sitka's Optifade Forest.

As far as why I switched, there were a few of reasons. 1) Cost. Kuiu wins here. 2) Camo. Again, love the Vias camo- way more versatile than Sitka Optifade Forest. 3) The Fanatic series still needed to be layered for all day sits in November, so I thought I would go with something a little more "all purpose." Sitka certainly has stuff you can wear in multiple situations, but I think in general Kuiu has a bombproof system that will take you anywhere. I can still layer up underneath their Guide series and be plenty warm (I should add, I don't have Kuiu's down stuff, I'm actually wearing Sitka Kelvin pants and vest, along with a Down jacket from Montbell when really cold). But when it's warmer out, no problem- just wear the Kuiu Guide series and baselayers, maybe a sweatshirt, and you're good to go.

Downside to Kuiu is: 1) not being able to try it on; and 2) availability.

Hope this helps.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Sitka stratus for oct and nov, it has wind stopper in it.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
I am a kuiu fan all the way. I am a South Carolina hunter, and use it all year from summer hogs to late season whitetails and ducks. Merino wool is excellent for scent elimination, and their layering system is so versatile. The vias is my choice year round, it will break your outline in just about any situation even with lots of green, which I was skeptical about at first.

Can't say enough about Jason and the quality products that he makes.

BTW I bought his 1850 pack this year without the frame, and wow... Great day/stand pack. Couldn't be happier.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
Keep in mind that Kuiu isn't really designed for sitting in a treestand in cold weather.  It is a lightweight mountain/backpack hunting system.  They really cater to the sheep/elk/mule deer crowd.  That being said, I will probably use mine on warm early season days, but my wool will see most of my whitetail sits.

D.P.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by beachbowhunter:
Core4Element...same quality, as good if not better design and a lot more affordable.
Agree.  Bought a bunch of stuff in the mothering pattern which I love.  I do have a pair of the 90% Sitka pants I got for 50% off  I like that they are breathable and water resistant. Good for dew. But not for rain.  We got soaked thinking we could get away with it in the rain.

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
I think the best answer is: it depends.  :)  

I personally prefer kuiu's patterns over sitka and I own pretty much everything Kuiu makes. Like Dave said, Kuiu isn't really designed for long sits, that said I am quite comfortable with my Kuiu jacket and pants on with the superdown or other down jackets on underneath as insulation. Some of the Sitka whitetail stuff is nice because of the brushed fleece on the outside makes it quieter.

I would give the nod towards the Kuiu pants (though the Early Season Whitetail pants look nice with their bow pocket for traditional bows). I think for jackets the only one the sitka that have a brushed face is the fanatic (which is for super cold) and the stratus (more mid-season).
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Stratus pants also have a bow tip pocket on inseam. Stratus Jacket is very versital.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
I'm mostly a tree stand sitter. I discovered Sitka gear about 3 years ago.

As a result Goodwill has been the recipient of about 20 years worth of various brands and patterns of camo.

All my stuff is Forest camo. I wear the Ascent pants most of bow season here and the core zip tops (hoodie is my favorite) as an outer. I keep the vest in my pack just in case.

I like the look of Kui but I have too much invested in Sitka gear to do any switching. I did just buy a down pull over shirt from KUI. It is too noisy to wear as I intended.

I love the design, the handy touches, and the fit and feel of Sitka gear.

One thing I don't like is the Fanatic line. I have the Fanatic coat. The accessory pockets on the right breast interfere with a leftie's shooting.  First time I ever ran into clothing that matters  for RH vs. LH.

When things get cold I go to Stratus Bibs and Stratus jacket.

Here's a tree shot. My favorite stand.

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
Neither save your dough buy something for the kids or grand kids

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Herdbull:
Stratus pants also have a bow tip pocket on inseam. Stratus Jacket is very versital.
Cool! I'll have to check those out. You did a good job helping to redesign those pants
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
Check out the Sitka early season whitetail pant. Very well done!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
Check out all the clearance Russell APXg2 stuff out there (the line was bought out then closed down). It is like 50% + off where you can find it.  Linton Outdoors has a review that shows it to be quite comparable to Sitka.  I am VERY impressed with it.  I got the entire rain gear outfit for under $100-which is even quieter than Sitka.  I also got the Prima loft vest and jacket- both combined for under $100- again compare that to kuiu or sitka.  FWIW
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
Thanks guys I looked at the russell apx line and there about all sold out in my sizes. I like the whitetail line in sitka. I was thinking maybe get the merino wool top and bottom and the early season pants.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Get there under garments. Or from another that sells wool pjs.
Then get there pants. Kuiu. Then get what ever you want. For how we hunt in pa. That is all you need and get your regular gear. I been through this myself and found it much more important to buy good under layers.

The only reason I mention the pants is because how they stretch when walking over dead fall or climbing into stand.

Kuiu gaitors and thin neck gaitors and light beans are neat too. But the rest of there gear is for hunting stuff that we can get away without having. Save your money on the other things. My brother had just about everything made from Sitka and sold it all for a pile of cash! He bough it cause the hype surrounding it. Sold it all... And now has quality wool under garments and just buys whatever to put over top. Don't make the mistake. unless u plan out being sheep hunting or high elevation elk type hunts
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline wazu02

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
X2 on the Sitka stratus. Think it's worth every penny.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©