3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: best climber for traditional shooters  (Read 1187 times)

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
best climber for traditional shooters
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
Hey all,

I have a summit bushmaster climber which is good I suppose for my longbow, but limits my shots left and right. I can only shoot straight forward...

Anyone else have good success with a certain climber? Thanks
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: best climber for traditional shooters
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
I really like the Lone Wolf alfa climber. Since you only have the seat to climb with, it's pretty much like sitting in a lock-on and you have freedom to shoot pretty much anywhere. Definitely took some getting used to climbing with it tho
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Love the lone wolf hand climber. I've had about all of them and I like it the best.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
I have a Lone Wolf hand climber I really like
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Dang, I had both the wide sit and climb, and the hand climber. If I remeber right, my issue with the hand climber was I couldn't stand to shoot because I couldn't fold the seat up without it falling. I have a reject thing about me where I have a hard time shooting a bow without standing. Guess I will look into them a little more.
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
I can still stand and shoot in mine but I will admit you don't have the most room to move around but it can be done, for me anyways. I only weigh about 185 tho ha
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
I'm the same weight, I seen that there new stands have a flip up seat. That kind of opens me up a little more to the idea.

Part of me also thinks there's never a perfect climber for such a long bow... We will see, thanks guys
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
The old Loggy Bayou seat folds flat against the tree for standing up. PITA to install though but rock solid when you get it right.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by edge2009:
Dang, I had both the wide sit and climb, and the hand climber. If I remeber right, my issue with the hand climber was I couldn't stand to shoot because I couldn't fold the seat up without it falling. I have a reject thing about me where I have a hard time shooting a bow without standing. Guess I will look into them a little more.
I only use my alpha climber and stand to shoot, and I never fold the seat up.  Not sure why you'd have to.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
I like my summit open shot
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by NBK:

I only use my alpha climber and stand to shoot, and I never fold the seat up.  Not sure why you'd have to. [/b]
I guess just because I like the extra room against the tree, each his own
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by m midd:
I like my summit open shot
Those are nice stands, I like the full summit seats though, its hard to beat that old bushmaster, and a fraction of the price!
I suppose I just need to appreciate the stand and keep practicing.
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I had the same problem but I got a viper and can put the rail about waist high and can lean out to shoot all around the stand.

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
I also had trouble with flipping up the seat. I liked to lock it down and then you couldn't lift the seat up.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 02:55:00 AM »
I have the bushmaster and I would recommend one of the hazmore seats for your stand. It lightens up overall weight and slides out of the way by just standing and the seat is so comfortable. Its just a mesh seat and its by far the best $20 I ever spent on archery. It also lets you sit a little higher in the frame too which is a big bonus. I also bought the lone wolf stand last year don't get me wrong its a nice stand very stable and a little lighter than bushmaster and folds flat but the seat isn't very comfortable and its alot harder to climb in. If you have big feet like me my winter boots are too big to fit in the bottom part u climb with, just a heads up. I feel a lot more comfortable in my bushmaster and I just put my top and bottom part closer together to avoid the side rails. Just my opinion brad
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »
I'm with Reddogge, I've been using me Loggy Bayou since '88.  seat folds against the tree.  Kinda hard to find thee days I imagine.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »
I use a Summit Open Shot. It's the lightest climber out there which is important for me since I take long hauls into state lands. In terms of shooting from it it's great. As it's open all around - in fact once in position I turn the seated/top part to the back of the tree and hunt standing the whole time. For me its less movement if a deer approaches and easier to shoot standing. Also the summit is cheaper than the alpha by quite a bit.
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »
X3 on the older Loggy Bayou. You can use it as a climber or a lock on. Great size platform as mentioned because of the folding seat.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
Lone wolf hand for me. Pack flat. Carry awesome. Super quiet and are solid. I have tried just about them all. Summit is more comfy though on all day sits. Morning n evening hunts no problems.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
I've been using a LW hand climber for many years and can't imagine a better stand for bowhunting.  

With a simple bungie cord to keep the belt tight against the tree, the seat quietly folds up and down just fine without slipping (it's usually a little tighter in use than in the photos), in fact that's one the the things I like the best about the hand climber.  I don't use the stabilizer straps between the seat and platform, I found they were just a P.I.A.  The bungie keeps the seat from falling when you stand up anyway.  I do keep a rope tied between the seat and platform for going up and down to avoid the possibility of dropping the platform and being left hanging on to the seat.

The seat alone also make a great "run and gun" way to keep your butt off the ground.  All you need is a tree and you have a nice place to sit.

I also like the waffle foot platform over the usual rails that most stands have.  I stand a lot and my feet are more comfortable with the LW platform than with other styles.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©