3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Larry Benoit passes  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Larry Benoit passes
« on: October 09, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »
Although he didn't bowhunt, legendary deer tracker Larry Benoit passed away yesterday. Barry and I grew up in Vermont and knew Larry for over 50 years. He was the real deal. All good tracks sooner or later come to an end. I killed a deer yesterday afternoon. That one will be remembered for Larry.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Larry Benoit passes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
thxs for the news gene I appreciate it yeah he was a legend in the deer woods ..GODBLESS him and whoever he leaves behind but he will be in your memories and others FOREVER!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »
Wow, I'm saddened to hear that. He was one of, if not, my first "Hunting Hero".  I used to try to read everything I could on him and his sons, and now grand sons.  I'll be saying a prayer for him.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »
I have a signed copy of his first book(sent for and received in the mail) and have followed him and his family's exploits since that was published(1975ish).

Also one of my first hunting hero's. Thanks for the update, I'll be thinking of him and the family all day.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »
Sad to hear this.  The Benoits are the real deal for sure.  Thanks for sharing Gene.

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:17:00 AM »
Sad news. I enjoyed his writings and information I learned from him and his family. True outdoorsmen.

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »
Sad news. He was definitely the real deal.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
A lot of younger folks may have never heard of the Benoits, but us 'more mature' guys read about the family that were deer hunting legends in Field and Stream, Sports Afield, and Outdoor Life back when those magazines were the Word in hunting. I am sorry to hear of Larry's passing. Gene, thanks for letting us know, and condolences to the Benoit family.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
A great hunter who certainly "Passed it on" through his books and his deer tracking machines of sons and grandsons.  We should all be so honored.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
Another legend gone. I'm fortunate enough to have several of his books that he was gracious enough to sign. I think my favorite is " How To Bag The Biggest Buck Of Your Life".The first time I read it I couldn't put it down.  Prayers for Larry and his family. TonyZ.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Sorry to hear about Larry passing on.  As kids in Vermont we knew the Benoit way from a early age and accordingly the Benoits were held in high esteem.  We used to drive by his house in the fall and slow down to get a good look at the meat pole.  

My condolences to the family.  :pray:

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
Sad to hear... Condolences to family and friends...

A hunting icon up there with the likes of Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith of Outdoor Life contributions...

As a kid, hadn't the money to buy books, but always read and enjoyed Benoits articles in those magazines of Field and Stream, Sports Afield, and Outdoor Life during the 70s, and those photos of hog bucks hanging from meat poles beside red plaid coat hunters holding their Remington 7600 pump action 30-06 carbines are still ingrained in my memory.

Was the rifle I bought in 1978 to head west to pursue a hunting guide career...8^)

May the godz of the hunt be with him...

Offline Jack Rehacek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
That is sad news. I really have learned a lot from reading his books. He was one of my favorite Deer hunting athorities . As others have said he was the Real deal. Condolences to his family.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
Vaya con Dios.

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
Prayers go out to the family. I have had Larrys books for many years now and have read them several times. Maybe time to pull it out again.
Thank you Gene for the information.
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
Great Spirit... Our Brother comes to you as swift & straight as an arrow shot into the sun. Welcome him, to his place at the Eternal Campfire.

Larry was a decendant of the Mohawk People, and very proud of his heritage. As a boy, I had 2 Idols. The first, was Fred Bear. He taught me to love the bow & arrow and bowhunting. The 2nd, was Larry Benoit. He taught me to love DEER HUNTING!!!

When I was younger, I spent much time hunting NY's Adirondacks, and the "Big Woods" of Maine. With not much more than a rifle,shells,knife,rope, a compass & firemaking kit. I would don my wool clothes & boots, put my nose to the wind, and head off into the mountains looking for a Big Buck track. I even managed to catch up & tag a few too!!!

I never got to meet Larry in person. I would have liked to thank him. Larry gave me just enough information, and most of the insperation, to learn all that I have over my years. I wiil send smoke to the Great One, asking him for Peace for Larry's boys & family.

Enjoy your Journey My Brother!!! I'll see you at the Campfire.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Sorry to hear. Talk about an American deer hunting family. Them boys put em on the ground. I have followed them for years
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
I remember reading stories about Larry in one or more of the big three sporting mags at least 30 years ago --- I think it was that long ago anyway!

RIP

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
Sad News indeed to a true legend. I have been tracking bucks in the Adirondacks for 40 years, and I attribute alot of my prowess to Larry and his sons. I have had the pleasure of standing in Larry's living room, and swapping stories with him. He was a gentleman, and I will never forget my meeting with him. As I left his place in Duxbury, he handed me 2, 30.06 cartridges out of his personal belt, and said" Kill one buck with this one, and hang onto the other"..and that I did. I killed a 7.5 year old mountain buck, and still have the other cartridge in a safe spot. Memories for sure. May the winds of November always blow softly on your soul, Larry.
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
My prayers to his family and friends.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#