3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas 2013 Deer Hunting Thread..Keep 'em Coming!!!  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Cookie125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas 2013 Deer Hunting Thread..Keep 'em Coming!!!
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2013, 05:58:00 AM »
Yeah it has me excited to see some rutting activity. Also too bad that the big boys are showing up when it's dark.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
I went out all day yesterday. Lots of action from 3 1/2 year olds and younger. Had some chasing going on but no big boys yet. I did have an opportunity Tuesday morning on a couple big boys after a rain but things didn't pan out. It's getting started!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Cookie125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Well this morning at about 7:35 I arrowed a buck. I wasn't that confident in the shot since it was back. I caught the shot on video so sent it to my brother and a friend, those two and my dad have more confidence in my shot than I do at the moment.

Will keep you all posted on what happens, but please pray that it was a better shot than I feel it was.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
Good luck cookie! I'll be praying!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Cookie125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
Good news, we found him. I will post pictures when we're done skinning.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Great news, congrats!
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
Awesome!

Offline Cookie125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
So this morning I almost didn't go hunting due to the wind. Walking into my stand made me second guess my decision even more. Luckily I had a stand that works great with a south west wind and is also bellow a hill in a creek bottom that helped to shelter me from the wind.

Ten minutes after shooting hours I see movement coming from the direction of another stand I have and see a buck working its way south and up the hill that is sheltering me from the wind. when he gets to 30 yards west of my stand I realize it's the double main beam buck I have on trail camera photos. Just my luck that the trail he is on doesn't bring him my direction.

about an hour passes and I do not see so much as a bird when movement comes from the south west down the creek bank. I quickly see its a buck and I slowly reach for my bow and turn on my camera. When he enters into my shooting lane at about 15 yards I draw, hit my anchor point and the release felt like it was in slow motion. Watching the arrow in its flight it felt great but the buck reacts and then my confidence just goes out the window when I see the arrow enter back from where I aimed. As he runs off, still in slow motion I can see my fletch barely sticking out of his side and moving all over.

I gathered my things and backed out and reviewed the video, still not sure of my shot I sent it to my brother who shows my dad. I soon get a call from both of them telling me I was nuts for worrying so much that I was in the ribs and that my deer won't be far away. They met me and helped my track my deer and we found my arrow about 30 yards from where he was hit and I was filled with relief seeing the blood on the arrow. We followed the trail down the creek for about 150 yards from my stand to where he ran out of the creek and died in the tall grass.

I'm blessed to have family support and help when it comes to hunting. If I were to move further away from home I would be in trouble since its tough to trail blood when you're colorblind.

Not the biggest buck but my favorite so far. The bow I took him with, my grandpa hunted and took his first archery with in 1965.

Here is the video with no editing
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1fiZEwOCmc&feature=youtu.be

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
Congrats Cookie. That is fantastic, it is all about what it means to you!

As much as I would like to see myself in another picture with a great Kansas buck, I'm really hoping to score big on a mule deer doe this year. The wife and I both have tags for them.

The first year there, I can't remember how many times I had to hold off because I didn't have a Mulie tag(including one very nice buck). Last year, the first thing I saw was a mulie buck and I took him....but no does within 300 yards.

Of course I would like to see my wife and our friends do well this year too as excitement and success is infectious.

I just know that I'm pumped like I can't remember when and a little apprehensive knowing that when I come back, it will be another year before I get to go again.  I got to thinking, ya think my customers would be upset if I decided to stay two....or maybe three weeks .....only if necessary   of course  :)
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
Congrats Cookie. That is fantastic, it is all about what it means to you!

As much as I would like to see myself in another picture with a great Kansas buck, I'm really hoping to score big on a mule deer doe this year. The wife and I both have tags for them.

The first year there, I can't remember how many times I had to hold off because I didn't have a Mulie tag(including one very nice buck). Last year, the first thing I saw was a mulie buck and I took him....but no does within 300 yards.

Of course I would like to see my wife and our friends do well this year too as excitement and success is infectious.

I just know that I'm pumped like I can't remember when and a little apprehensive knowing that when I come back, it will be another year before I get to go again.  I got to thinking, ya think my customers would be upset if I decided to stay two....or maybe three weeks .....only if necessary   of course  :)
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Congrats and nice buck!
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
Awesome Buck Cookie!!! I told you- I knew it was coming buddy! Good hunting!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine Buck and great video!
justin ammons

Offline Cookie125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
Thanks everyone this buck meant a lot to me and after recovering him I would have to agree with my family and wonder why I was worried about my shot. Glad I have them.

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Great buck and great story!     :campfire:
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Way to go! I Don't know if i could pass him up either.

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
Good Job Cookie, I liked the vid, what camera set up are you using?

Offline Cookie125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
Kelly I'm using a cheap jacket everio I bought at Walmart a few years back while it was on sale. I have it on a gorilla camera arm. Not the best set up but it's got me by. I'm hoping to upgrade in the next year.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »
Congrats   :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Cookie125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
Sorry I meant bluegill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©