3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Noisy predator - help  (Read 909 times)

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Noisy predator - help
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
Hello gang. I recently picked up a Predator Classic and there is a lot about the bow that I really like - the mass weight, handle design, speed.  But it is without a doubt the noisiest bow I have ever shot.  It is a 55#er and I am shooting 2117 shafts with 125gr points and the arrows fly fine. The noise isn't string twang but sounds more like limb movement I guess. I have played with the brace height from 7 1/4 to 7 3/4 and it seems to make little difference.  I have my nock point set 1/2" high and shoot split finger. Has anyone else had problems getting their Predators to quiet down? Is this inherent
in the design or something I'm doing wrong.  I haven't tried loading it up with more string silencers and  limb savers as I don't think that should be necessary  if the bow is set up correctly.  Any suggestions? Thanks guys.  Jeff

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Noisy predator - help
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
Mine always seems loud as well but I think that is just the design. They starting using spacers, shims or whatever between the limbs and the riser, thin cardboard pieces. Those may help, snug bolts and there is nothing else except brace and silencers. All mine have liked 7.25-7.5 brace. The wool puffy silencers work best on my predator but that is not what I use. I should add that I have owned four Predators, down to one, still the bow I shoot the best, I  keep switching to find a replacement.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
Try brace height up around 8 or even a teenie bit higher than that.  Mine twanged and I felt limb vibration below that.  I could always tell if I needed to twist the string up a tad.

I really liked my Predator. Certainly woulda kept it if I could have magically changed it to lefty.

ChuckC

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
I used a Selway slide on quiver and some limb savers to quiet mine down by reducing limb vibration.  Still too noisy for my liking and now someone else listens to it.

Great bows in every other aspect.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
My Predator is 53#@28,it has plastic shims between the limbs and riser.I don't know if that helps but mine is quiet.I made up a padded loop 12 strand 8190 for mine and use bow hush and homemade wool puffs.Mine is quiet as my longbows.I  brace mine at 7.5" and shoot a Beman ICS Classic 400 with 175 gr. point.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
I would recommend trying some cork gasket material on your limb pads. you can buy it at an auto parts store. don't over tighten your limb bolts. just keep them snug.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
You are probably over spined on your arrow. Predators are not cut much if any past centre. It would probably like a 2018.

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
Dont be afraid to go up with your brace height as mentioned, that alone can make a big difference.
As mentioned, sounds like you are overspined, I agree with above post, 2117 is probably too stiff.
Also, different bows like different string material, you may want to try xs2, Ultracam, d-10, I've seen a big difference in switching string material.

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
for sure retork the limb bolts, had the same thing yesterday, and I had marked them so I would know if they turned, but just give them a check.  I also use 4 small puffs, instead of 2 giant puffs, hand tied 4 strands of yarn each, and all you hear is the wind and the arrow flihgt
Randy

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
S-B-D, string will help
Tom

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
I have my predator's brace height at a tad under 8" with no silencers on the string (yet), since i have a couple more strings on the way I want to play around with 1st. But the string that's on it is an OliverStacy string and with no silencers I don't think it's overly loud, so even though you say it's not string twang, a quality string will help if you don't already have one for it. By the way mine is 65@28, I draw 28" and shoot 2117's with 145gr pts, arrows cut to 29". They fly really well. I really like the bow also.

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
Guys, thanks for all the great tips. I really like the way this bow feels - very smooth drawing even for a 60" bow, better than most of my 62"ers (except a browning explorer 2). I only had a little time today but I set the brace at 8" and it did quiet down a little. I wondered about the arrow being too stiff too for 55# but it shoots them right where I'm looking (at 20 yards at least) and I thought it would shoot left if it was too stiff. I also planned to go to a heavier broadhead to get better penetration, less noise and a weaker spine. The only arrows I had with lighter spine were some 2016s and they flew right of target and were actually loader. Do you think 2018s would be better? I'm determined to tune this bow if it kills me. It is the fastest 55#er I have (and I have a few). Thanks again. BTW, what is and S-B-D string, onewhohasfun?

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
SBD - Silent But Deadly string maker. sponsor here I believe, do an internet search. they make super skinny string.

I have shot a 55# predator a bit. I would reccoment you use heavier arrows yours must only be 450 gr. i would be aiming for 550 to 650. if your arrows are stiff and hitting the strike plate, then thats going to be very noisy. baresaft and paper tune until they are perfect. Also you can squirt silicone into the alloy arrow to quiet them down.

next, velcro or felt on the recurve limb tips to quiet string slap. Alternatively you can get wool wraps on the ends of the string. I just wrap my own with heavy wool. the wool does catch thorns so its best to use velcro or felt if you hunt thicket.

good luck! them are fast, fast bows.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
This thread is a terrific example of help from the TradGang. I can't recall reading so many good suggestions in such a small number of replies.

I have a Predator Anniversary.  Cork on the limb pads and 2 sets of whiskers make mine quiet. It is 47# draw with Axis Trad 500 shafts. Is plenty quiet at only 424 grain arrow. BH is 7.75".

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
I have a Predator Hunter, 46@28, I draw 27.5. It came with thin plastic shims between the limb and riser. I have 4 set of cat whiskers ties in to the string. 2 above 2 below. I also cut a small fuzzy velro circle and glue on my limb just below the string grove. This helps with string slap. I don't shoot off the shelf, I use a Bear Weather Rest. My bow likes a bit heavier arrow. I'm shooting 2016s 29.5 inches with 130gr heads. I get 130 by using a 125 point with a brass washer weight. I use a delta type bow mounted quiver.

I still sometimes think the bow is loud but my shooting and hunting buds that stand next to me at the range swear that the bow is super quite.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Oh yeah, brace height is just under 8".
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Oh yeah, brace height is just under 8".
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Has anybody tried one with a B50 sting?  Thanks
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
I shoot mine with B-50 with both sets of limbs, 60#, and 70#. Just one set of small wooly whispers per string, brace height around 8", 2020s and 2219s at 29 1/2" for shafts....pretty quiet even three under.......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
I had a Predator Classic and it was quiet. 52#@28" but I draw 26.75". I shot the arrows I have in my signature below and my brace was at 7.25" and I shoot 3-under so my nock was set at 3/4" above 90 degrees. I had one set of two wool puff silencers with a 12 strand D10 skinny string that had the ends padded with B50. The bow was tillered for split so it should have been difficult to silence with me shooting 3-under. It wasn't but I did have to have the wool puffs or it was noisy.

I've had two Predators and they are great bows but I now enjoy the lighter mass weight of longbows.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©