3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bow problems  (Read 651 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
New bow problems
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
I just receive a black widow MAIII in a trade and have was wondering what do I hav to do to make it shoot wherein looking?
With my longbow, I'll be drilling the middle, but with the widow it'll be shooting high at left.

It's roughly 4" to the left, when I make a mental adjustment with the widow then I hit to the right with my longbow. Lol

Any suggestions? I'm shootings.400 spined arrows cut To 30.5 with 225 upfront
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow problems
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
Can anyone help me out?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline wazu02

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Spine is stiff on your arrows. Either get a longer arrow or add more weight up front. You can check out the A&H website for arrow tuning. Hope this helps.

Offline wazu02

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
You could also build out the side plate on the widow if your wanting to shoot the same arrow with both bows.

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
sir, what weight is the new bow?
Randy

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
its #53@28.  

I would like to have some longer arrow so i think i will try to get some..

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
the widow is 53#28, and the longbow is 50@28.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
If the Widow has the original BW rest and strike plate material, it should be fairly easy to move the point of impact 4" to the right and 4" down.  Try using a Martin Rug Rest and strikeplate.  The rug rest is made out of some kind of soft felt material, and it has more give than the typical BW rest/strikeplate.  This makes the point of impact move in the direction of the strikeplate or rest.  So if you replace both, you will move your point of impact to the right and down.  You may even surprise yourself and move it too far to the right, as my experience is that a change from hard to soft material can make as much as a 6" difference at 20 yards.  If that is the case, you can try the loop side of Velcro for your rest and strikeplate, which is not quite as soft as the Martin Rug Rest material.  You can also move your point of impact down by raising your nock point, as there is little or no adverse impact on arrow flight from a slight to moderately high nock point.

It would be a good idea to tune your arrows for the bow before you make any of these changes, unless you have already done that.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
If your arrows are flying good, then just bring your brace hight up a couple turnes at a time. And your arrows should come back to center.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Right hand or left hand? Shooting high may be due to the recurve being faster
Instinctive gapper.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
It's right handed. And I was thinking the same thing. If I can get the bow shooting to the right some, I'll be fine with the shooting high. I can always make mental adjustments down, but can't really on right and left. I will ru some Velcro out at first to see how that works seeing as I have some readily available.

Thank you for all your help. I will let you know how everything goes.
Does anyone have any suggestions to safely remove the rest? I'm sure it's glued on.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
Replacing rests is routine maintenance on a bow, so rests are ordinarily glued on with something like Barge, which doesn't make a permanent bond. Likewise with the peel-off stuff on the back of Velcro.  Try getting a thumbnail underneath an edge and just working it loose until you can grab it with your fingers.

If it leaves a gum residue, you can clean that off with Goof Off or Gu Gone, and then clean any residual oils off with alcohol before attaching the new rest.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
thanks McDave.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
I tried a lighter spined arrow(full length 3555 with 100 grain brass inserts and 125 grain tips) and it stiill hit exactly where it did with the 5575's.  I also changed the leather to a valcro pad.  It didn't really have that much of an affect either.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
When comparing the two bows, remember that the measurement of draw length on a recurve can be as much as an inch longer than when measuring on a longbow, due to the breadth (belly to back) of the riser.  This could change your calculation of draw weight.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
ok, i am still having some problems with the bow.  I can shoot my longbow and hit exactly where i am looking, pick up the widow, look exactly where i want to hit, draw, smooth release, and hit 8-10" to the left.  It is frustrating.  

I have heard to use a weaker spined arrow by two different tactics, increasing point weight as well as changing from a 55/75 cut to 30.5 to a 35/55 that is full length, both with 100 grain brass inserts and 125 grain insert.  

Is it possible for me to move where the bow hits to the right?  I don't want to have to make a mental note or not be able to shoot both bows without making some mental adjustments.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Anyone?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
two different bows are going to need different arrows tuned for each of them typically. The difference is usually how close to center the shelf is cut out, and the effeciency of each bow  that makes a big difference.

i would recommend staying with the black widows recommended brace height and tune some arrows to that bow... its as simple as that....kirk

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
Well I'm shooting 5575's cut to 30.5" out of it. Shouldn't that be the correct spine for a #53@28?

Also, I'm wanting them to hit the same spot if possible. The widow does not hit where I'm looking so I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I can do to help that.

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 01:28:00 AM »
The arrow spine look correct for me, but for be sure,we have to know you draw lenght,how thick is the strike plate,the string (material and how many srands).
Try to shoot some bareshafts and look wath happen.
I think than you problem can also come from you form (shoulders alignement or ?? ) .
Double check you hand pressure on the bow grip,usually on a longbow,the grip is almost straight and people use hand palm and "break the wrist" to put pressure on the bow grip, this kind of grip usually dont work very well on a recurve grip.
Hope this help    :dunno:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©