3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Pennsylvania Blessing... another blessing begins on page 5!  (Read 1768 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Pennsylvania Blessing... another blessing begins on page 5!
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
:clapper:    :goldtooth:
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
thanks guys for all the encouraging words!  Just finished up classes and have a week off before I start a couple more....  looks like I might get out again next week! =)

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Awesome!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Congrats!!  Great shot.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Awesome story!

Congrats on your doe!

Bisch

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
another blessing came...

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »

I was able to get all my work done for my classes, and headed out for a much needed afternoon in the woods last week.... here is the view from in the tree...

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
about 4:30, a nice healthy 4 point comes down the trail and stops at 10 yards, right about where that vine is below my feet....

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
now there is a little problem here... you see, I would gladly have shot him since I have very limited time in the woods, but in my Management unit, I could not.  Bucks must have 3 point on one side, not including the brow tines.  This plump little buck wasn't legal....

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
don't get me wrong here guys, I loved getting out, and it was much needed with as much as going on in my life... but as he walked away the thought that kept going through my mind was, "God, my wife and kids deserved him... so I could be at home..."  Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't, and as hunters, we must be ok with that.  I don't want to ignore however, how there is a real tension for many of us between work, faith, family, and hunting... there may even be more you guys could list.  There are always good things that take our time, sometimes we make good choices in what receives our attention, and other times those are not as balanced....

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
so fast forward to this week, it's the last week in PA for archery season, and the ground looks more like this now....

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
I have a paper due and a few other assignments this week for seminary, so I knew this might be it (unless I could get them all finished by Saturday afternoon).  I have always enjoyed the last day of archery season.  Normally, I would go for a walk, and just take it all in, think of all the "close calls" and enjoy the creation around me.  I thought I would do the same yesterday, Nov. 12th.  I was able to leave the church a little early to get into the woods. As I walked in, I thanked God for the many blessings in my life, mostly for just the chance to be in the woods despite all the other responsibilities in my life...

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
It was about 2:00 and I saw the first movement through the snow covered branches... It was the kind of snow that actually limits your visibility, but I knew it was a deer, and when I saw the size of the body, I knew it was a buck....  It was clear what he was up to as he zig-zagged back and forth through the thicket....

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
at this point, I forgot that it was cold, I forgot about my assignments due, how busy I was, and I was just present...  I was thankful just for the chance to see a deer...  it appeared he was going to just pass through way out of range, and like so many of us have experienced, he stopped and for some reason made his way directly at me....

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
it was already snowing, ever since I got into the woods, but the wind really was picking up and so was the snow... it was coming down!  He continued towards me, not offering a shot... I was praying and hoping he would turn broadside, or at least something other than head on!  When he hit about 20 yards it was clear to me that he was a legal shooter.... the rest I can't quite remember... the only thing I kept thinking was "God, is this really happening?"

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
at 10 yards he began to angle, not completely broadside, but enough for what I felt to be a good ethical shot, I watched the arrow bury itself tight to the shoulder, and as he ran, I could see it hanging out the other side closer to the hind quarters...  I don't particularly like this shot, I would always advocate for better opportunities, but it was a judgment call that I made in that moment... I felt pretty good about it, and waited a few minutes....

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
my concern now was how hard it was snowing... it was accumulating so quickly, I could not see my own tracks from when I came in, and I was starting to visually have a hard time seeing his.... so I made the decision to immediately get on the trail that I had... I slowly eased through the snow, careful to be as quiet and possible and to look ahead.  there was blood, but not as much as I expected...

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
I wish I could have told this story through pictures, but with the snow coming down like it was, there wasn't much to see! I went about 40 yards and was finding it more and more difficult to see the tracks and blood.  They were there, just under the white stuff!

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
at that point, I stopped... still excited but rather nervous that this wasn't going to turn out well... I slowly continued forward in the direction that he had gone... up ahead about 20 more yards there he was! I grabbed my binoculars and checked him out... and I am positive I watched him take his last breath... so I just watched for another minute... no movement!  I am not one to scream or fist pump... but I did make my way over thanking God for another blessing... I called my wife, and I could hear my kiddos cheering...

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
his final resting place

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©