3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Portable USB phone chargers  (Read 547 times)

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
Portable USB phone chargers
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Now that the season is about to hit full speed, more of us are carrying phones, cameras, etc of every kind. That might not fit a traditional site, but probably is realistic.

Just wanted to add how these little chargers work so well on the fly. I've got more than one, and different manufactorers.

Used this particular one yesterday...
Anker Astro 5600

I use my iPhone and the Motion-X GPS app a lot, and will only use my weatherproof Garmin when necessary. I love the Google and Bing satellite maps over the garmin topo versions. Since the maps need phone data service, I start Motion while I have wifi or good phone data service and play around with scrolling in/out my intended hunting area. This seems to cache enough of the maps and stays with Motion, so when I lose data service, I'm still good. And since  Motion uses the gps chip in the phone it doesn't need ph or data service.

Friday for testing at my work desk, I left Motion app running live for 4hrs straight before battery finally reached 10%.

Killed all apps, and using the Anker USB charger I charged phone back to 100% in an hour. Pretty darn quick.

Then yesterday I hunted and used Motion a lot, as I was in big very thick woods new to me. Was constantly marking waypoints for acorns, hog crossings, persimmon trees, etc. it's not about getting lost, but all about marking the area for smart hunting. Taking pictures, making notes, etc. Made a 3hr sit with my lightweight lock on and three sticks. Then phone was about dead for long walk to truck, and still wanted to take an indirect route while scouting out.

Plugged up the Anker battery pack, and with my fanny pack in front was able to use phone gps and charge same time. Got to truck an hour later with phone about 100% charge.

This kind of electronic work certainly doesn't happen every hunt, but it's fun and adds value when needed. And I'll be carrying a Sony handycam and gopro starting next week when I start hunting the lease with pre set stands. Managing all these devices will take some thought and preplanning for sure!

Anyway just wanted to relay how I really like the little Anker charger for on the fly backup in the field. Works perfectly as intended. Never have to sweat iPhone battery now. Also have the larger NewTrent brick for other needs, usually stays in truck.

TJKentuckys thread on flashlights was so good, wanted to give something back!

Oh and one last edit, highly suggest making a tether of some kind to phone. I added a small loop of strong serving to my case, and keep it on a lanyard or such when needed. Tether to belt loop, around neck, fanny pack loop or whatever works best. Saves dropping from stand too!
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Portable USB phone chargers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
My prediction is that success rates for hunters in the next 5 years will fall drastically.  We will be sitting in stands or walking around the woods with our eyes glued to some electronic gadget while the deer stroll by.  :confused:  

As Phil Robertson said, "I guess I'm a low tech guy in a high tech world."  :saywhat:
Lon Scott

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
I'm with Lon on this one..to steal a line from a Guy Clark song..... I'm an analog guy in a digital world..  :)
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm kind of low tech too, but I love my Iphone and use it and all it's functions a lot..

I've had it help me many times when I didn't know quite were I was...  Truth be known, I didn't really care, I was in the woods where I wanted to be !!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
I've had my recharger several years, so there may well be better things out there now.  But I use a New Trent portable recharger that I bought from Amazon.  It's a little smaller than the cellphone.  I've never used my cellphone while hunting, but I do go backpacking with my wife for several weeks or a month every summer, and I like to read books that I have stored on the IPhone in the tent at night.  The IPhone has no service out there, so I put it on airplane mode to conserve the battery.

After our trip in 2012, I just threw it in the drawer and forgot about it.  This summer I resurrected it and figured out again how it worked.  It still had 3/4 of a charge on it from a year ago, and charged right up.  In the week before the trip I used it to charge my IPhone a few times to make sure it still worked.  Between it and the IPhone's own battery, there was plenty of juice to last for a two week backpacking trip, using the IPhone maybe 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
Them darn phones are like chatting about traditional hunting on a computer just don't seems right! Oh wait a second, nevermind.  :D  

Thanks for the tip. I don't use my phone hunting much but I have all my hunting areas maps saved and plan my hunts that way. Also would be great for backpacking.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
I keep my phone with me while hunting for emergencies.  It's just smart.  Some places I hunt have service others don't.

Check on the solar chargers.  I got one a while. Ack when I was updating mine and the wife's bug out bags.  It is small enough to fit inside a backpack but irfan also be strapped to the outside so that it cAn be charging your device.
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
If you need a way to recharge outside of your normal means...look at Mophie Products. We use them on our USAR Team and they will give you a couple of full charges for the iPhone, before recharging the Mophie itself. I have the Mophie Powerstation Pro. They also have a pack that attaches directly to the iPhone and adds power. In any case I hope this helps.... Sutty
Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
there's doing and overdoing, and each of us will find what works best, and that'll do each of us just fine.  

i have trouble just using a flip phone, let alone one with apps.    :D  

and my compass is analog.      :goldtooth:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
I've been thinking about a portable solar charger with USB output. My problem is that I might be encouraged to carry even more powered devices (on big, remote hunts) than I currently do. For deer hunting where I live, I carry a cell phone and often wish for the days before cell (B.C.) phones.

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
I have an Anker charger.  Makes those all day sits more enjoyable knowing I can stay in touch with my wife especially with a 1 year old at home.  If something happened and my phone was dead I would feel terrible.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
I love my iphone but I have started to make it a point to shut it off and keep it in the bottom of my pack while in the woods.

Speaking of chargers get a load of this thing!! This thing blows my mind!! Wood fired phone charging!!

http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
I love my iphone but I have started to make it a point to shut it off and keep it in the bottom of my pack while in the woods.

Speaking of chargers get a load of this thing!! This thing blows my mind!! Wood fired phone charging!!

http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Well at least no one beat my post up too bad, LOL!

I'm one of those very independent guys who hunts alone most times. And very much like the tech available now to let my wife of 30yrs know where I am off the beaten track. I've made way too many trips over the years, and she didn't even know what county I was in. That's not fair to her.

The last few years I was writing up "flight plans" on paper, but that restricted me somewhat. Nowadays I just send her a text with my map pinpoint location as needed. It's nice to send a pinpoint after the hunt, when it's dark, about to climb down, with a 1hr walk thru very thick undergrowth woods with stand, gear, blowdowns, swamps, snakes, mosquito hoards, 2hr drive home on Sunday night back roads.

Still use a compass a lot, but I really enjoy hunting new country, and correlating those new waypoints to detailed google maps on Monday morning scouting.
All part of my personal enjoyment!
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
For my iPhone I have a mophie extended battery also makes for a nice case. I can use my phone for a solid day until both battery's give out. I'm always on my phone surfing the net and other things
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
If you need solar to charge your stuff, then check out Goal Zero Products. Along with Mophie products I have Goal Zero's Guide 10 setup.  Sutty
Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
Yep, as DoradoWilder said. The battery case will charge your phone while its in your pocket.  I use mine all the time to extend my phone life.

Anything that may help someone else is always a good thread Mark. I use mine in the field for gps and tracking incoming storms. I don't like getting wet. Age makes you smarter.

Here is my case.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
well Mark, if you ever need a tagalong on public land...   :D

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
TJ you are right, I forgot about the weather apps. My fav is radarscope... you can literally hunt until the final minutes of a front watching that radar, and time/plan your escape route perfectly, LOL.

Dorado, thanks for that, there now seems to be many excellent choices for backup battery power. I just may have to upgrade to a full jacket case if I keep using my phone for constant gps fun.

Kook, will do. You are surrounded by some very good trad hunters in your area, I'm sure you know that.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Mark, yep can't tell you how many times I have made it to the truck as soon as the sprinkles start.

I also have radar scope. Check out weatherbug as well.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©