3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Buck Fever" ????  (Read 1443 times)

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
"Buck Fever" ????
« on: October 13, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
I think most of us get that adrenaline rush known as "the shakes" or "buck fever" or whatever you call it.

I try to think of something beside the deer and look away till it's time to shoot to try to calm myself.

What are your methods?

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Buck Fever" ????
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
That is a really tough question to answer. For me it seems that controlling my breathing helps and simply mind over matter thinking. I enjoy watching them and try to just wait to get excited after I shoot.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
I get more excited when I can hear a deer then when I finally see them.  When I do finally see one I make up my mind if I am going to shot or not and if I decide to shoot I am so concentrated on making the shot I do not get nervous

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
When I first started hunting Deer, it was with a gun. I used to get buck fever so bad I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I don't know how many Deer i shot at before I got one, but it was a few. I believe only a true hunter at heart gets buck fever. Like the cat getting ready to pounce or the bird dog on point, a true blooded hunter has an instinct for the kill. An excitement that sometimes is hard to control. I would like to say after all these years I have learned to conquer it, but that would be a half truth. Once in a while it still gets the best of me.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline southernwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
usually it doesn't get me but Friday it sure did. I think its cause that would have been my first bow kill ever and he was 125" deer easy. I try to look away from the deer's eyes and stare at their tail then when its time I'll let em have it. Much easier for me with a rifle though being a sniper helps hahaha. but this bow hunting adrenaline is something else!
SUA SPONTE
68" viper deluxe long bow 50#@28"
64" hickory self bow 50#@28"
60" pronghorn 3 piece R/D long bow 63#@28"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
I try to concentrate on what I need to do in preparation for the shot. Don't get fixated on the Deer. I talk to myself to keep a cool perspective. I think that's key for me is to talk to my self a little. A little pep talk so to speak.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
I focus on the mechanics of getting and making the shot. I remind myself that the distance is the same as.... any of several scenarios I practice at home.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Getting excited is part of the hunt and if you don't then idk why you would spend the time. You also need to learn to control this so that you are able to make a clean ethical shot on an animal.

My recommendation is to "decide" if your going to shoot the animal or not before (as early as possible) the shot is even presented. Once the buck gets closer into your range concentrate on his movements. Pay more attention to him being alert, relaxed, what path he will be on when he is in range ect... Once he is in range for a shot pick your spot and don't look anywhere else.
Levi Bedortha

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
I don't have a method. I get shakes when a shootable critter first walks out. Something happens when I decide it is time to shoot and it all goes away! When I draw, I feel as calm as I can be, As soon as I release and see the arrow hit the animal, I go to pot and start shaking like crazy (especially when it is cold)!

Bisch

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
I am with bearsfeet, if you don't get excited time to take up another endeavor. Also good point about concentrate on the situation not letting your mind get you in trouble. After the shot I got to sit down or fall out of the tree.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
I talk myself through it trusting in God, I always pray for a good hit or a clean miss when I first sit in the stand. I win either way.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline nomansland4404

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Mine will sound dumb but for me it works. If I see a deer early enough I convince myself I'm not going to shoot and I don't even want the deer. Then decide when I can actually get a shot that ok I do want him and take the shot. For some reason it works for me. Can't explain it. Haha

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
My friends and I call it "Elvis Leg" when you cannot stop your leg from hopping.  Switch from foot to foot and the leg w/o your weight starts jumping.  Love it and hate it all at once.  Doesn't happen every time I see deer and really is not at all in relation to the size/buck/doe/fawn or even if it is a shooter or not in my mind.  It just happens at times and others not so much.  

If it ever quits altogether I think I'll hang up the bow and golf more.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I don't have a method. I get shakes when a shootable critter first walks out. Something happens when I decide it is time to shoot and it all goes away! When I draw, I feel as calm as I can be, As soon as I release and see the arrow hit the animal, I go to pot and start shaking like crazy (especially when it is cold)!

Bisch
X2

I get excited about any deer not just the bucks. It is always the worst early in the season with months of build up to getting into the woods.  It is the worst when they come in kind of slow and give me just enough time to think about it.  A lot of times I settle down if it takes a long time for them to work in. If it is fast, I have little time to get wound up.  The best bet for me is to not think about missing, or in any way putting presser on myself to have to get the deer.  I just try and get total focus on observing and prepping to shoot.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stone Knife:
I talk myself through it trusting in God, I always pray for a good hit or a clean miss when I first sit in the stand. I win either way.
Same here kind of, but we don't talk about missing.   :D   Only clean kills or no opportunity for a shot.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by nomansland4404:
Mine will sound dumb but for me it works. If I see a deer early enough I convince myself I'm not going to shoot and I don't even want the deer. Then decide when I can actually get a shot that ok I do want him and take the shot. For some reason it works for me. Can't explain it. Haha
Not dumb at all.  I do it a lot.  Shot more than a couple of bucks I had no intention of shooting.  Once on the first night of bow season I shot a 6 pt. early in the evening.  I was just going to draw on him to see if I could do it.  The shot was a little far.  I had a 4 on a side restricted tag left.  A while later a 7 pt. walked past me at about 10 yards 3 times.  I kept saying he was too small to shoot and use up my last buck tag opening day.  On past 4 I thought it would be fun to draw on him for practice.  I was hunting does the rest of the year.  Only time I ever shot two bucks in one day with no nerves on or before either shot.  Plenty after the arrow was gone.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
After missing a lot when I first started years ago I break into a concentration on the shot you would not believe. Its like I almost get mad are something. It works.
  also I have slowed my shot down a bit and really focus on shooting controlled shots when I practice.RC

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
For me there is excitement when animals are 'around me' but once they get into shooting range I seem to switch over mentally and everything is calm and calculated until after the shot. I would say that emotion almost completely leaves me during that key phase...

This was not the case prior to active service with the Army... One of the few 'gifts' that I retain from that period that I actually appreciate. Lol
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
My worst case was 15 years ago.  It was the 5th day of hunting, I had had deer close every day, no problem.  Then a little basket raked deer appeared with only his head showing at 15 yards.  I fell apart. Shook so bad the leaves on the tree  shook. If I looked away I'd stop instantly, look back at the deer and it would start again. I'm sure that the shaking tree scared the deer away.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I freak out. Haven't found a way around it yet.

The other day I was still-hunting in the rain and nearly ran straight into two does who were lumbering through the woods. We both looked up and saw each other at the same time but they didn't spook right away, just stood there and even came closer trying to figure out what I was. While I tried to stay still and play 'tree' I was shaking so bad I thought I was going to fall over. They were not convinced and ran for it.

Maybe I should try convincing myself that I don't want to shoot them...lol.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©