3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you regroup after a miss  (Read 1007 times)

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you regroup after a miss
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
next time when you begin to draw back on your deer close your eyes and go by feel,,, once you feel your anchor is solid then  open your eyes and pick the spot,,, this whole process takes a second but if you shot low at 15yds you short drew the bow or dropped your hand to see the arrow fly who knows..

as far as the miss itself, its no biggie if it was a clean miss you just laugh about it and store it in that part of your brain where you remember it forever,,,,,,, the bad misses AKA the wounds they really hurt and take more thought.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
Nock another arrow, quick!!! Take what ya learn from it, and move on. Seriously, take a second shot if you can.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
I treat it the same as a wound - pure luck that it wasn't.
I don't shoot at an animal again until I'm confident in understanding why I missed and have addressed it. I would never laugh or shrug it of as just part of hunting - there was a reason I missed and I want to know it.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
throwing my bow out of the tree works for me....RC

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by SteveB:
I don't shoot at an animal again until I'm confident in understanding why I missed and have addressed it. I would never laugh or shrug it of as just part of hunting - there was a reason I missed and I want to know it.
okay if you want to put it that way but you will always have misses, and I'm sure you'll know exactly where you screwed it or what went wrong unless theres not enough experience or its  a mulitude of things who would really know,,,   missing is part of hunting by the way and always and forever will be. show me just one person who ever lived on this planet who has never missed using any style weapon.

I shot over the back of a perfectly broadside 8 pointer last season from the ground using my selfbow at about 12yards,, ha ha I "laughed out loud" and then wished him luck to the end of the season,,, I then shrugged it off knowing I must of got caught watching horns and went home to be back out in the same spot the next morning to shoot a doe .
"Us vs Them"

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Turn the page all things happen...keep your head up and brush it off!!CANT KILL EM ALL
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
Keep trucking, keep your head up.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:
Acceptance.
X2
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
I find tear drops into an adult beverage makes me feel better.

Then after that I practice..practice..practice! It happens, not a big deal. It is part of the game. Try to learn from it and move on.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Count a miss a  a blessing !!!
A lot better than a poor hit.Nobody got hurt and you learned something.
    :archer:
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
First everybody misses!! Don't beat yourself up over it. Heard Roger Rothar shed light on it once and it was VERY enlightening. Also, always try to learn something from it.  BILL

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
Simple. Bitch and moan like we all do from time to time, and then get back in the stand and hunt some more.
Sam

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
LMAO @ Sam!!!    :banghead:

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Here's how I handled my miss last week.  I missed a broadside doe at 10 yards after hitting a limb which sent the arrow over her back.  I shot a few arrows at the practice target to remind me that I can actually hit something with this thing.  Then I went back out and hunted some more.  On Friday evening I got my next chance and sent one through the heart of a doe at 20 yards.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tajue17:

Originally posted by SteveB:
okay if you want to put it that way but you will always have misses, and I'm sure you'll know exactly where you screwed it or what went wrong unless theres not enough experience or its  a mulitude of things who would really know,,,   missing is part of hunting by the way and always and forever will be. show me just one person who ever lived on this planet who has never missed using any style weapon.

I shot over the back of a perfectly broadside 8 pointer last season from the ground using my selfbow at about 12yards,, ha ha I "laughed out loud" and then wished him luck to the end of the season,,, I then shrugged it off knowing I must of got caught watching horns and went home to be back out in the same spot the next morning to shoot a doe . [/b]
If I laughed at a miss, I would laugh at a wound. I don't laugh at a wound, so I will never laugh at or shrug off a miss. Like I said, pure luck a miss isn't a wound - never should be taken lightly.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Don't let it shake your confidence . Shoot some single arrow shots at extremely varying distances like 10yds then 35yds then 15yds and 5yds . keep doing this until you don't think of the miss . It worked for me . Took about an hour . Don't shoot more than one arrow per distance , that will make your brain work harder to correct the shot .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 12:42:00 AM »
if you are shooting at a level where you know you can physically hit your target, then the problem is in your mind so you have to fix it in your mind.

I lost an animal a year ago. at the time i thought it was a full penetration shot that missed everything on its way through and left not one drop of blood. on reflection i think it was a clean miss. its been bothering me for a year.

Next shot i took was a year later and under 8 yards. pass through double lung. I put in a second arrow, another pass through and got the heart. The goat was on the deck in 10 seconds, and i got my confdence back. the next shot that day was through a small tunnel of scrub, closer to 20 yards, wet feathers. I never concentrated so hard as i did on that shot and got both lungs, no follow up required, goat on the deck in 10 yards.

so my advice is go in to the woods and get yourself really close, then get another 5 yards closer, then take your shot

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 01:29:00 AM »
Once, when hog hunting I missed the same hog 3 times. All shots were within 20 yds and one was a 'gimmie'. When it came to the 4th shot I said 'screw it' and left a lonely and disappointed hog out in the woods. I guess that was 'peace with honor' as Nixon once said?
Anyway back to the drawing board-more practice and focus. This is not a new problem! LOL

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 06:27:00 AM »
Think about why...then shake it off...forget about it, and usually center punch the next deer I see.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
I say a bunch of bad words and keep on hunting.
SWA Spyder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©