3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No "luck" in the bear woods  (Read 305 times)

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
No "luck" in the bear woods
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:30:00 AM »
Ok, that's not entirely true, I did have a fair amount of bad "luck".

I didn't get to leave the house the day before, as planned, so I got up early opening day and headed out for my 2 hour drive. As I got to my usual camping spot in the national forest, I backed in to the spot, smelled something strange, and faced the front again only to see smoke pouring out from under the hood!   :eek:   I quickly killed the engine, popped the hood, and jumped out to investigate. Right beside the exhaust manifold I found 2 small wire bundles on fire!!  :scared:   I was able to just blow them out, so no major damage (thank you, God!  :clapper:  

So the rest of the day was spent "fixing" the Jeep, and then talking with the state wildlife dept. guys, trying to get information and watching them check-in a couple of bears for a few more fortunate hunters.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No "luck" in the bear woods
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:43:00 AM »
Well sounds like the trip could have been worse. Any trip to the woods is better than being at work  :D

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:56:00 AM »
That was my sentiment exactly, the next night as I enjoyed an adult beverage by the campfire, knowing I was the only person around, for at least a few miles.

Wednesday, I set out to follow advice given to me by Terry Green and Skitch to try to lay down some boot leather and find fresh sign & acorns and try some predator calling with the brand new call given to me by Skitch.

Well finding acorns was no problem. They were EVERYWHERE! I even found a few muscadine grape bushes, that (according to the wildlife guys and successful hunters) appeared to be the bears' current preferred food. (Don't blame them, they were pretty tasty!) But, no bear sign any fresher than probably a couple weeks, at best!

Blind calling, also yielded no results (maybe I wasn't doing it right?).

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:22:00 AM »
Thursday I drove all over the place trying to find another place to camp. Finally found and decided on, a small, privately owned biker's camp. The place was nice, with outhouses and an outdoor shower, included firewood, they sell beer and ice on-site, and for $5 more per night, the lady would make breakfast for ya. $10/night without breakfast.

The couple that owned the place were very nice and would later introduce me to a few locals (also, all very nice people) in an attempt to help me on my quest. One of the locals, Joe "the bear man" said that he had not been having any activity on his bait sites (only allowed on private land here in OK), either.

Friday morning as I set out again, the lady asked me if I'd like to air up my tire before I left. I had failed to notice that my driver's side front tire was nearly flat! I took them up on the offer and then drove 35 miles east to Mena, Arkansas to get my tire fixed, where the big-box retailers took an hour and a half to repair the tire with only 1 person ahead of me in line and no one else needing service after me.

The afternoon hunting in several other places also turned up no evidence that bears inhabit the areas.

Saturday evening came and my frustration level was high, and funds getting low. I talked to one of the wildlife guys again and he told me of a couple of other places to try, however the weather prevented much activity on my part (wind, rain and thick fog).

Sunday was going to have to be my last day down there (since I was out of money before I was out of vacation time). About midday, I finally found a pile of scat full of muscadine seeds. It wasn't fresh, but it was all I had to go on, so I found a spot, set off my can of bacon flavored scent attractant and waited with some calling thrown in for good measure. Again, no "luck".

So I took a few pix with my phone of the sun setting in the mountains, and went home. Tail between my legs, I was whooped.

Shortly after getting home, the Jeep caught fire again. Found out that it was the pressure hose from the power steering pump spraying fluid onto the exhaust manifold (and everything else), that was causing the fires. Thankfully only about a $25 and 2 hour repair.

All in all, it was still a good trip. No first big game kill, no meat for the freezer, and no bear skin rug or bear claw necklace, but I saw some more of our beautiful country, met some good people and found some of the solitude that I was looking for.

Here's to hoping things are going better for all of you, to hoping that the rest of the deer season goes better, and to NEVER giving up!

Thanks for reading my lame story. Lol.
-Tony

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »
No lame story there, Tony.
A tale of a man on a hunting trip. You want a lame story? I was working while you were hunting.
Nice try (no matter what Yoda says...)
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
wow that's a horrible vacation.  sorry to hear it!
is it September yet??

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Thanks, Tom. I was beginning to think I was the only one who has hunting trips like that. Last year's bear hunt included my battery giving out on me and having to wait a day before I could get help. Then it was $150 (that I didn't plan on spending that way) to replace it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
Sounds like you are persistent.  It will pay off and be all the more sweet!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement & sympathy, guys! Some days I REALLY need it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©