3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To name a bow....  (Read 696 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
To name a bow....
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Most of my bows get a name if I hunt with them long and develop a relationship..lol.
  I usually name them from something that happened or someone said about them. I never just say I`m gonna call it "this ".
  I once named a Hill bow I had "Blue sky" .
 I was hunting with good friend Hillbilly Pardue and was laying in the grass waiting on him at our meeting spot on a logging road mid day. I heard the wind rustle and a turkey hen glided over me about ten feet above me . I just lay there and looked up admiring what had happened and the sky was so blue and perfect. " Blue sky" was laying across me and had to be named.
  Another longbow a Mohawk named T-Bone was named when two good friends Chris and Lance bet me steaks I would not stick to shooting one bow all season. They lost...  
  A homemade bow was named when another friend Cooper was looking at it. I think I had just killed a pig and he said...Man that bow has some "Mojo" thus the new name.
  Yesterday I was looking at my homemade string follow bow I finished on Sept 4th and my Wife had already asked what its name was. She gets it.Its done good with 3 deer kills already and just over a month old.
 SRV was playing "Texas Flood" on a CD I have, I love the blues and he was one of the best at it. I then reached over and picked up a carbon express that Pat Byrne had sent me to try. Everyone knows Pats expertise with the longbow and the name just jumped out for my bow. Pat has the critter blood Flooding Down in Texas as we all have seen and is a good feller to boot. So even though I`ve never been to Texas I`ll be toting "Texas Flood" through the swamps of Ga. this year Lord Willing. RC

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: To name a bow....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
RC, great story. As a bowyer folks always assume I must have a lot of bows. Truth is I in most cases just grabbed a in-stock shop bow in a weight that I wanted. I would shoot it until someone talked me out of it. Things changed on a Oregon elk hunt in 2009. After my first day on the hunt I had called home and learned my grandmother (then 92) had a stroke. I was able to talk to here on the phone and told her I was going to be packing up to come see here. Being 10 hours away it would be a whole day before I could get there. Her words to me were " Nope, you stay there and shoot me a elk and DONT be picky I like elk meat. When I got off the cell phone I seat on a hill side with the Safari Elite recurve I had taken with me. I named that bow "Millie" after my grandmother. That bow I still have and it is not for sale. I also have a Cyclone longbow named "Hillbilly". Those are the only two bows I call mine.
Again, thanks for your story.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
That's cool RC!

I have only had 2 bows with names. One I no longer own. The other is my go-to bow and probably my favorite bow of all time! It is my Sarrels Blueridge takedown longbow. Until I got this bow, I always thought naming bows was kind of cheesey!

I had ordered my Blueridge from Bob a couple months earlier. One day he calls me up and says, "Can you come over to the shop and shoot your new bow a bit to make sure the grip is the way you want it, before I spray the finish on it?"

I said yes and went over to his shop. I was standing outside his shop shooting my new bow when another customer walked up and was talking to Bob about buying one of his bows. After a little bit, Bob and the other fellow comes over where I am and Bobs says to the other guy, "This is Bisch! He has killed more critters with my bows than the Black Plague!"

We small talked for a bit and then I went back to shooting my new bow. At some point while shooting, I was admiring the black glass limbs and remembered what Bob had said in his introductions and knew that my bow had just gotten a name!

That is how the Black Plague was born! I have yet to name another bow since then, but, if something like that hits me again for another bow, it will get a name too.

Bisch

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
your a killing machine

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
I've only ever named one bow. Charlie Lamb made me a Sunbear recurve a few years ago, and I named it after him. It is called "Sachem", or wiseman!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Great story and great name RC.  If you keep killing critters at that pace with your new bow there will be a flood (of blood)for sure in those Georgia swamps!    :thumbsup:
U.S. Navy Retired 1965-1989
TGMM Family of the Bow

There are 2 secrets to wisdom: 1. Never tell everything you know.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Great name, Robert.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
Cool story RC. I have only named one bow, it's called Blondie.
I have got to post some pics and story about her sometime.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Shoulda named it "Georgia Blood"....... sure it will produce a lot of
It !!

Froggy out
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Congrats and fine looking bow...

On your next kill (I know it will not be long) can we get a close up of the bow?

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
I like that name, and the man and reasons behind it.  Cool tribute RC as both of y'all are the kind of hog hunter's I aspire to.  Oh, and I suppose I can include that Bisch joker in there too.     :laughing:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
My last two custom bows are named "Just For Today" and "Keeping Coming Back". Named after the 12 step program that has saved my life.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
i dig it

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Most of my bows only carry a short-term name, usually uttered when I screw up a critical shot and blame the bow rather than myself. I do sometimes refer to my Hill Cheetah as Kitty-cat.
Sam

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
You're a killer, RC!   :notworthy:

Offline Mac910

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
I currently have two bows that are named.

One is a Robertson that's named after my grandpa who first infected me with the hunting bug.

The second is a Bear Kodiak take down named after my father who passed away a few years ago. He helped feed the infection, and provided me with my first bows to shoot as a kid, and my first Bear recurve when I got a little older.

This way I still get to go hunting with one of them, and I always smile a little and remember when I see their names on the bow hanging in the tree.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
I have a couple that are named.

One is a take down longbow made by a friend of mine I call Shiras.  The bow I used to kill my Shiras moose in Wyoming.

I have another hybrid longbow made by another friend that I am calling Turkey Hunter because it has killed three Merriams turkeys so far on 2013.

Brian is making me one of new Tall Tines 3-piece t/d hybrid longbows that is going to be named "Holy ____"
Because when I see a big bull, deer antelope I tend to say Holy ____.  I figure this bow is going to be just as breathtaking as a big critter and illicit the same response from me.

I just bought a used Sarrel's Blueridge that is named Autumn Hunter, and that is fine by me.

I also have a Robertson recurve that I just call my Robertson.  Nothing fancy but I did kill a mature unicorn non-typical whitetail with it.

I much prefer to name my bows than have my name on them.
Inquiring minds.......

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
Been trying to think of a name for my new favorite bow , I will just wait and see what inspires me like in your story . Thanks
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 01:32:00 AM »
I had kind of stopped naming bows until this spring when I was at the Jack Kempf 3D shoot...a young lady pointed out to me that there was a lemur face in the grain pattern of the bocote limb veneers...well that bow is an RER LXR meaning it has two sets of limbs...that face pattern occurs 4 times on each set of limbs (and appears another time on the riser)...with the recurve limbs the bow is named Zoboomafoo...with the longbow limbs I call it Bush Baby Bow

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 04:06:00 AM »
Way cool.   :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©