3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Led Camp light  (Read 531 times)

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Led Camp light
« on: October 14, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
I know there has been allot of discussion on lights here lately. I didn't want to take away from those so here goes. I'm planning a moose hunt next year and I will be floating down a river using a canoe.
Weight is some what of an issue. I need a camp light that is small not to heavy and will last at-least 2 weeks or replacement power to last that long. Are there any Led battery powered lights that I should look at? Run time per evening might be 2-3 hrs.
Use will be all camp chores,setup ,cooking (2 people).
Abe

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Led Camp light
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Are you looking for a Lantern type light or a Headlamp/flashlight type?

And, do you need a pack mule for the float trip?
   :goldtooth:
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
Chuck
I'm looking for a lantern.
Mules are way to heavy,and then feed over and above the weight. How many hands high are you Chuck? LOL
Good to hear from you.
 :wavey:  
Abe

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Oh I don't eat that much Abe, I do go about 19.5 hands tho.
I will look at my little lantern and see what it is. It is an older one But I really liked it when we lived Off grid and used them all the time.  

CTT   :)
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Here is what I found so far-Rayovac SE3NLNA 300 lumen. With 3-d cell on high (300)lumens 72 hrs run time. Does anyone have one to report back on or something better?
Abe

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Abe I have had one for 3 years now and it is a great light and batteries last forever. I had a brunton go it on clearance for 20.00 a steal that I loved it had 5 positions of output and it gave light in 360 degs even under it I could not believe it but it would not cast a shadow but batteries put acid in it and it will not work now I really miss that light. I bought a colman for 21 dollars that is good also but the rayovac is more compact and useable on you type of trip. I am a bit of a led junky.    Widow

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Thanks Widow Sax
Any others that have one.
Abe

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
I hear the black diamond orbit one is nice and real small, but not real bright.  There are some nice fuel ones if you already are carrying fuel cans. The candle ones can work good

The first thing I would look at is a diffuser cap for a good LED compact light.  They are low cost and lets your light do double duty.  Size and weight are as small as you are going to get.  With the right light you can get two or three usable light levels.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Black Diamond Apollo  Orbits bigger brother  but not really big.

http://www.rei.com/product/859139/black-diamond-apollo-lantern-2012-closeout
T ZZZZ

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
coleman has an electric camp light that runs on D cell batts, I use it a lot and the batts have lasted 3 years so far. LED don't use ,much power.
 http://www.afterschool.com/p/coleman-led-lantern-377955?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_as&utm_term=YEV-2673&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1602891559&utm_content=pla&adty pe=pla&cagpspn=pla

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
http://www.snowpeak.com/mini-hozuki.html

Abe: I bought one of these before Bryan and I went to Alaska. It turned out to be the nicest tent light I've ever owned. Runs on 3 AAA batteries, and is extremely versatile in a camp setting. It easily produces enough light for even a large shelter like my 8-man tipi. One extra set of lithium AAA batteries and you're good for 2 weeks easily.

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
Yes, the mini hozuki is great and using AAA batteries you could use other headlamp or flashlight using the same type of batteries. Is great when you need only a type of batteries for everything,

Why not use a good headlamp for camp tasks and one mini hozuki for the tent?

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
that mini looks like a pretty nifty little light,

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
The UCO Clarus is NICE. I bought one this year from REI. I was a little reserved to try it. MAN, I was really surprised how nice it was and how long it burned for the size. Also, it converts to a pretty nice flashlight as well.   BILL

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
An easy deal would be the MagLite AA LED. It's a good flashlight and the head will screw off and you could hang it or stand it up for a lantern. Battery life should work well for you but if not, AA batteries are easy to carry.

Apparently, though, they have "upgraded" the light to different MODES that I think ruins a good simple light.

Also, I hear you can use 2 lithium 14500 batteries and get a lot more light out of the LED.

MiniMag webpage
Romans 8:28

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Abe check this out used it in Colorado this year and it was great.
 http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/headlamps-and-lanterns/orbit-lantern-BD620704LAVAALL1.html

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by PowDuck:
An easy deal would be the MagLite AA LED. It's a good flashlight and the head will screw off and you could hang it or stand it up for a lantern. Battery life should work well for you but if not, AA batteries are easy to carry.

Apparently, though, they have "upgraded" the light to different MODES that I think ruins a good simple light.

Also, I hear you can use 2 lithium 14500 batteries and get a lot more light out of the LED.

MiniMag webpage  
I like my old mini mag for that with incandescent bulb.  It was like a nice bright candle.  That is about all it is good for now days with better lights so I wouldn't hall one around in incandescent form.  My newer LED ones are too bright at 25% of the 77 lumen output my multi mode has, and I think that is as low as you can go with any version.  The lumens are about the same on low as the old light, but the LED light is so white and such a small hot spot of light, I find it hurts my eyes to be close to it and work around it.  My eyes are a bit sensitive to light.  Other people may not mind it, but I would want some kind of diffuser or reflector rigged over it. It is for sure a nice feature of the mini mag.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Check these out particularly the ones down at the bottom with the hook top so you can hang them.  That along with a light that will tail stand will make it a lantern you can use anywhere.

http://fenixtactical.com/fenix-accessories.html

If you are cheap like me you can always just do this.

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Kevin
We plan on using an 8 man tipi tent. I didn't think 60 lumens was enough. But haven't tried it either.
xetrema
I will still have a good flashlight for outside use and will be up grading after seeing the other posts on flashlights.
This is just for camp chores like cooking (inside the tent. Cheap is good but not the only thing to consider.Thanks for the youtube thing.
Dirtybird
I'm checking out the blackdiamond.
Anything with more lumens and good battery life in lantern type lights.
Abe

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Abe,

We used the light every night and it was enough illumination. The secret (if there is one) is that the Hozuki light puts all its lumens into a downward broad cone of light. None of the light is 'wasted' lighting the upper area of the tent. In fact, we often dimmed the light when we were just sitting and eating. Unbeatable in my book.

David likes the Black Diamond Orbit, and it's a darned fine light, too. My first one had problems and had to be sent back for replacement. The battery life on my second one is better, but shorter than I'd prefer. Light output is excellent from the Orbit, which radiates 360 much like a conventional lantern. If you want a light which can sit on a surface, the BD Orbit is a great choice.

Incidentally, I've always got a headlamp on when it's dark in bear country. If I end up flushed out of the tent somehow, I don't want to be stumbling around in the dark brush.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©