3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how long before your first kill?  (Read 564 times)

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
how long before your first kill?
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
So I am not a new hunter, I have killed 17 whitetails, seven bucks, and ten does. I have killed two pope and young bucks in illinois, and several turkeys also. All however were with compound or rifle. I have now Layed those down for the recurve. I have been hunting with my recurve for 6 years with no kills. Only two shots, both at turkeys way to far, but It sill felt good to watch the arrow fly... Any advice for keeping up the hunt? I am not giving up, but am geting wore down. I see deer, and am not having them blow out, just having trouble geting withing 15yards on the ground. I want my first kill to be on the ground, not from my climber. Any advice would be appreciated, I just have to vent, as i literly do  not know anyone other than me who shoots traditional.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how long before your first kill?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Get up in the tree get A few kills n your feet wet then get back on the ground. I made some drasti changes this year. I don't want to look back on my hunting career and say I tried hard but didn't get it together. I want success. A life of hunting victories.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by bigb3303:
So I am not a new hunter, I have killed 17 whitetails, seven bucks, and ten does. I have killed two pope and young bucks in illinois, and several turkeys also. All however were with compound or rifle. I have now Layed those down for the recurve. I have been hunting with my recurve for 6 years with no kills. Only two shots, both at turkeys way to far, but It sill felt good to watch the arrow fly... Any advice for keeping up the hunt? I am not giving up, but am geting wore down. I see deer, and am not having them blow out, just having trouble geting withing 15yards on the ground. I want my first kill to be on the ground, not from my climber. Any advice would be appreciated, I just have to vent, as i literly do  not know anyone other than me who shoots traditional.
I'm gonna go against the grain on this one maybe. If you want to shoot your first trad deer on the ground, them stay on the ground. Maybe make some natural ground blinds a little closer to the trails. Be careful when drawing though as you are eye-eye with the deer. Natural ground blinds are easy to make and very effective. Just position closer to trails and try to move your eyes, not your head when watching for deer. Play the wind, focus on entry/exit routes and above all stay true to what you believe is the way to hunt. It's all part of the traditional way. Good luck, head up, and shoot straight.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
Go after some small game.  Seasons are long, shots come more often, and it'll be great practice.  If it's legal even go for coons at night.  There's no better practice than hunting.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
I have gotten within range of multiple deer on the ground either that I couldn't shoot or didn't want to shoot from my first year hunting and on usually at least one a season. Still haven't taken one on the ground though only from a stand. That being said my first season I killed a deer. I agree with RedShaft in that I think you might be benefited by gaining some experience from a stand by using that to get close. I also agree with KodiakMag that if you are dead set on taking one from the ground the build a natural blind or something and get as close as possible, it can be done.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
Go to where the deer have to go. A ditch crossing, narrow ridge pinch point, or exiting/entering real thick stuff. You may see less deer but they will be in range. Don't over think the ground stuff. If you need to be in spot and have the wind in your favor setup there. I usally dress like a tree more than a bush.

Keep at it and good luck!

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
I'm sure you've heard it, but back cover is the key, in my opinion, to getting deer in close on the ground. My favorite cover to back into is a big evergreen, mostly cedars here. Check out a torgess tree seat. Trim a few low limbs on a cedar and strap the seat to the trunk with the trimmed limbs sticking in the ground in front to hide your legs and you're golden. Play the wind and the sun. Keep your bow up and an arrow nocked when expecting action.
I moved to treestand hunting late last season to see what the hype was about, and honestly, I miss the "freedom" of being on the ground and being able to switch locations without having to make a fuss of pulling a stand down and rehanging it.
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
I was very persistent and got a white tail doe the second year I hunted with trad gear. It was the first deer I ever shot with a bow. Missed some real gimme shots with a compound and got it done with a recurve! Haven't gotten a shot from the ground yet with trad gear. Have missed some elk from the ground though.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
One of my favorite natural "blinds" if its in the area I'm hunting is Laurel. It stays green, is pretty thick, and usually you can find a patch that you can shoot right over top    :archer:

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
ghillie suit,it's a blast
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
The bush in a bag and backed up into a gap in a couple of shrub cedars with the wind in your face.  The problem I have with my bush in a bag, when little migrating birds land on me they get their little feet tangled in the webbing.

Online Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
Well your making it doubly difficult for your first, but if you have to I second the Guilie suit.
Or white camo in snow and move about 50 yards in an hour.
The hunt is the trophy!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Pay attention to the wind , stay in the shadows , a ghillie wont hurt and above all stay still and quiet .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys! I will def have to make a blind, I have been just leaning against trees. Fools plenty of deer  , but not within my 20 yard max.

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
I hope to be able to offer some advice on Sunday.  In my second year of trad now, with a similar history to your with other "tools."  

Spending a Tuesday-Saturday in the woods, so I should have opportunities.  Will let you now.

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
This is my first year with a recurve. Used to hunt wheels and I still gun hunt. Passed on a young buck this evening but I can hunt everyday.

That makes a huge difference. Just curious how often you able to get out? When I wasn't able to hunt as often any setback was harder to take.

Best of luck, your day will come.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
It took two years before my first kill.

For a morale booster, go pig hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
It took me 2 seasons to get the first... but... the first 5 years I got only two big game animals.  once I got the Big Idea I got very regular.. average 2.5 big game animals per year.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline STL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you.  I've been blessed with many kills over the years with compounds (and some with guns), but still waiting on my first traditional.  

I made the switch 7 years ago but have not had much time to go during most of those years.  

I, like you, want my first to be off the ground.  I've had several opportunities that didn't pan out, but I've killed many with my wheelie off the ground.

I like leafy wear and Predator camo  (I often wear the leafy top with Predator pants).  Hunt the wind, use shadows (very important), and have good back cover as well as some cover in front to break up your outline and provide depth.

Stay true to your desires and it will work out man!

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
aswome man and good luck! Hope to hear an update from you!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©